Dent Repair Gas tank | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dent Repair Gas tank

capridp

I'm looking at purchasing a motorcycle with a very small dent in the gas tank. Looks like someone dropped a tool or something on it. The paint is chipped and it looks like a bondo job. Does anyone know someone in GTA/Hamilton who will repair for a reasonable price? Attached is a pic.

On another note, would this dent bother you if you were to buy the bike? Border line deal breaker for me. Dent is not that bad but knowing its there is killing me. Cover with a different decal??

Thanks!

Attachments

• sv650 4 (5).jpg
    sv650 4 (5).jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 52
I'd fix it with a larger tank protector. Fixing it with bondo or pushing it out and repainting is an expensive proposition. IME bikes collect more dents and scratches than their 4-wheel brethren. Trying to keep a bike in pristine condition while also riding it is a very expensive proposition.

clean it up and fix to make sure it doesn't rust, put a sticker or bigger protector over it...done.

since yer buying, take a chunk off the price and see if they sell.

It's just an SV ;)
another option is to smooth over the dents and vinyl wrap it, there are a million colours and patterns of vinyl wrap you can get now.

... personally the only tank I would put a lot of money into fixing is an aluminum one.

Last edited:
What dent?

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Cheap in means cheap our if you're looking at buying and selling prices based on a flaw.

IMO that dent will have absolutely no effect on the bike's performance, reliability or longevity. However if you stare at it too much while riding you may not notice the curve in the road ahead and you will die in the ensuing crash.

A yacht design book I read made a very interesting comment. The most important element of design is beauty. If something is beautiful enough you will forgive any fault. If it is not beautiful you will look for faults.

It all depends on how anal you are regarding faults.

I once bought an airplane, a low wing Piper and it had minor hail damage that in no way compromised its performance. It always bugged me when I looked out over the wing and saw the dents.

Pride of ownership is a good thing. Being anal about it isn't. Where do you draw the line.

Once agreed to buy a bike, the day before pickup the PO had an accident and messed up the front end, etc. Checked it over and bought it anyways for a dig discount. Fixed what was needed for much less than the discount and rode it for over a decade and many kms.

That dent isn't a big deal.
Some touch up paint, a sticker and you're all good.

It's just aesthetics so if you are worried about the tank, you need not be.

As far as actually fixing that, you'd probably be able to get a replacement or aftermarket tank cover for cheaper the price then trying to fix the dent.

A yacht design book I read made a very interesting comment. The most important element of design is beauty. If something is beautiful enough you will forgive any fault. If it is not beautiful you will look for faults.

Don't know about this yacht book. I think the exact opposite is true. On a beautiful thing, every blemish is an eye sore. On an ugly thing - who cares?

reviving this topic.

i know tank dent repair success/fail is case-by-case basis, but any recent experience you have with PDR for your tank, if any? companies to praise? companies to avoid?

experienced a 'whoopsie' in my garage and ended up with a loonie-size dent on the side of my tank.

I saw this thing in Victoria. Barf. Just over 200' long. $100M of ugly on the outside. Maybe the inside is nice. This is where your tim hortons money goes. It looks like an apartment building that fell over. The colour is hideous in person. A chopper hangar on your boat is pretty baller though.

Motor%20yacht%20ANAWA%20with%20helicopter.jpg

I saw this thing in Victoria. Barf. Just over 200' long. $100M of ugly on the outside. Maybe the inside is nice. This is where your tim hortons money goes. It looks like an apartment building that fell over. The colour is hideous in person. A chopper hangar on your boat is pretty baller though.

Motor%20yacht%20ANAWA%20with%20helicopter.jpg
It makes a Chris Craft Cavalier look classy. There seems to be a lot of the plumb bow stuff in Florida with a six pack of 600 HP OBs on the stern. Ugly both ends but no shortage of bikini babes wanting to go for rides while showing off their Brazil butts, also ugly IMO.

Back
Top Bottom