Where can I get steel roofing for DIY in the GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where can I get steel roofing for DIY in the GTA

backmarkerducati

Site Supporter
I have done a tonne of google searches, they just keep pointing me to people who install steel roofs...

Background:

I am building an outdoor kitchen on my side patio. I want to build a small roof over top of it (patio cover if you like) and I would like to put steel roofing on top. The house has shingles but I would like the roof of this to contrast as a design cue, so it really looks separate from the house. I also considered polycarbonate BUT to me it reminds me of those cheap "corrugated" patio covers. We are talking 8X11 total, so not very many pieces, I just can't find a GTA supplier in my searches that sells to the public (online pricing a bonus of course).

Home building centres can order it for you. It probably won't be a cost-effective solution though as they tack $100 delivery fee onto the order (for delivery from the supplier to the store).

I'd try calling Buchner directly and seeing if they can help you (or at least direct you to someone that can). http://www.buchnermfg.com/

I've bought steel at the local building centre (Vicwest) delivered to my back yard with no delivery fees

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Can try Danforth Roofing Supply. I've bought other roofing items from them, but not that specific item - their website says they have corrugated metal...

I have done a tonne of google searches, they just keep pointing me to people who install steel roofs...

Background:

I am building an outdoor kitchen on my side patio. I want to build a small roof over top of it (patio cover if you like) and I would like to put steel roofing on top. The house has shingles but I would like the roof of this to contrast as a design cue, so it really looks separate from the house. I also considered polycarbonate BUT to me it reminds me of those cheap "corrugated" patio covers. We are talking 8X11 total, so not very many pieces, I just can't find a GTA supplier in my searches that sells to the public (online pricing a bonus of course).

Not to spoil on your idea, but have you checked your local bylaws before doing this, and how good are you with your neighbours?

My Aunt built something like this many years ago. Basically a shed with a window, but with a kitchen inside. But a couple years ago someone call it in to the city and she had to pay some fine etc.

steeltile.com

Innisfil Beach Rd/400

No affliliation here, I just see them all the time off the 400

Not to spoil on your idea, but have you checked your local bylaws before doing this, and how good are you with your neighbours?

My Aunt built something like this many years ago. Basically a shed with a window, but with a kitchen inside. But a couple years ago someone call it in to the city and she had to pay some fine etc.

Good input. I get along well with my neighbours on this side and will also get their input, they will also likely help me build it... Will only be visible from their yard.

Looking into permits structure wise (8X11 for the patio cover is only 88 sq.ft BUT...code says 108 max without permit, BUT BUT it is not clear if this is for patio covers as well--would be for shed). It will not be enclosed. Patio is existing. The cover can be fully detached from the house or what I am hoping is attached to the house along one side and two posts at the other end. Well back of the set-back rules.

As for the "kitchen", really just an outdoor sink (which "may" be a problem). BBQ (not built in) will be just outside the structure. Some counter tops etc. Something like the attachment but likely not as nice :(. Same sort of L shape for the house. Dorr int he same location. BBQ outside in my case (so I do not have to deal with smoke). No Dishwasher... Sink along the back wall like this one. Same sort of structure hopefully.

Attachments

• Outdoor Kitchen.JPG
    Outdoor Kitchen.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 22
My municipality requires a permit for any roof that is not a shed or pergola. My suspicion is they had some fly away or collapse in the winter as many people don't think beyond tomorrow. FWIW I didn't pull a permit for my BBQ roof and it hasn't been a problem (I was slightly concerned when a by-law officer ended up in the back yard to ***** at contractors working on the neighbours house, but he didn't comment).

Last edited:
Sent skids of Hy-Grade shakes to Moffat Scrap from work recently. Probably enough to do a good size garage or two.

steeltile.com

Innisfil Beach Rd/400

No affliliation here, I just see them all the time off the 400

thats where i got mine for the cottage. easy product to install.

just dont over buy and try to return the extra, if there is so much as a rub mark on one you dont get a full refund (half or 1/3 i think)...and some tiles came with scratches on them.

otherwise good product.

@backmarkerducati why might the sink be a problem?

My wife said she would buy me one of those pre made $3kish outdoor kitchens when I finished the deck.
The deck has been done for 8 years.
Still no outdoor kitchen.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom