Bike won’t start - troubleshooting help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike won’t start - troubleshooting help

DannyD

Hi All,

Im having issues with my 03 R6, it’s turning over but not running. It’s odd as it cranks over, it may run (poorly) for a few seconds and then clunk out. No clue what to do....

heres what ive done so far to try to fix it:
  • New battery
  • replaced the throttle position sensor
  • tested resistance on coil packs
  • checked plugs and made sure they have a spark
  • ran diagnostics, no codes being thrown on air or fuel

I’ve read through the manual and I’m not sure what to troubleshoot next.

Hoping Someone has a good idea that could save the day. I have limited time to ride and the summer is almost done.

Any thoughts?

Have you checked the valve clearances recently?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Is fuel injected? Split in the fuel filter canister or leak between the fuel pump and the injectors would do it if the filter is on the high pressure side, restriction in the fuel filter could do it if the filter is on the pump intake side. :I take a look inside the fuel tank and see if fuel is spraying where it shouldn't.

Thanks guys.

I forgot to mention that the fuel pump and filter is brand new.

I was was hoping that it was bad gas, but it’s not. I siphoned it out and put fresh gas in, same problem.

I do think that it’s a fuel issue as when it runs for that moment or turns over, I’m smelling very little fuel.

Think my next step is to test the vacuum on the regulator and the fuel pressure.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks guys.

I forgot to mention that the fuel pump and filter is brand new.

I was was hoping that it was bad gas, but it’s not. I siphoned it out and put fresh gas in, same problem.

I do think that it’s a fuel issue as when it runs for that moment or turns over, I’m smelling very little fuel.

Think my next step is to test the vacuum on the regulator and the fuel pressure.

Any other recommendations?

When you turn the key on can you hear the pump tick for a second or two ?

this^
the new fuel pump- was the bike running properly after installation of the new pump? or did the bike have issues since it was replaced? check and look at the wiring/connectors to fuel pump ?

you could try putting a small 1/3 ounce shot of fuel in each of the cylinders (via removing plugs) tighten plugs and turn over to see if it fires and runs briefly with the extra fuel. This may confirm (or not ) that the engine isn't getting the fuel it needs.

and check the airbox for obstructions mice nest etc

best luck.

Last edited:
Yes the bike ran fine after the fuel pump was changed.

When i I turn on the kill switch the relay click on and primes the pump. when it runs for that second or two the fuel pump is running.

the diagnostic on the bike confirms the pump is getting power as well.

I took out the air box as well, clean inside and the throttle bodies and good as well.

Probably a defective fuel pump try another one the new one probably has a manufacturing fault.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom