Anything between track and street? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anything between track and street?

nobbie48

Site Supporter
I'm not into racing and getting fed up with drivers that got their licenses out of popcorn boxes. If I had many millions I'd buy a derelict golf course and put in a personal track for when I need to lean. Any ideas? Anyone want to loan me a bunch of millions?

Yup,dirt.MX can be very expensive as can enduro with all the travel involved to a very few legal off road areas.My choice of trials gives me a lot more choices of places to ride with a very cheap introduction cost.

I'm not into racing and getting fed up with drivers that got their licenses out of popcorn boxes. If I had many millions I'd buy a derelict golf course and put in a personal track for when I need to lean. Any ideas? Anyone want to loan me a bunch of millions?

track days and racing are very different, I suggest you try a track day (if you havn't already) to see if its for you, you aren't racing anyone as passing is very restricted in the beginner group and you can go at your own pace and can get off whenever you get tired

Dirt. Go as fast and hard as you want. And you can go every single day! I sold my track bike to get back into dirt and enjoy it so much more.

track days and racing are very different, I suggest you try a track day (if you havn't already) to see if its for you, you aren't racing anyone as passing is very restricted in the beginner group and you can go at your own pace and can get off whenever you get tired

I've been wanting to do a track day the last 2 seasons. Am I crazy or is the upfront investment in gear incredibly high? Am i missing some obvious solution to dropping $1k+ on a suit + trailer set ups??

I've been wanting to do a track day the last 2 seasons. Am I crazy or is the upfront investment in gear incredibly high? Am i missing some obvious solution to dropping $1k+ on a suit + trailer set ups??

Maybe take a 1 day course and see if you like it? Fast1 is about $750, they provide gear and bike.

Track is "expensive" but cheap compared to the millions you need to setup your own track. I went track 10 years ago,
first year:
turn2 track days, gear+bike for weekend about 1k (one night in motel, and one night camping out)
Did that three or four times for that season.

second year:
bought a track setup Gixxer for 3.5K, gear for about 1.5 and a portable trailer $500, so total of 5.5k or so

Next 5 years:
Tires: 300-800 a season or more
3-5 track day weekends about 300-500/each

so up front, 6K, and about 1.5k per season is a rough estimate.

Yup,dirt.MX can be very expensive as can enduro with all the travel involved to a very few legal off road areas.My choice of trials gives me a lot more choices of places to ride with a very cheap introduction cost.

How does that work? Are there places that allow mountain bikes/trials bikes but not other off-road vehicles? I would have thought that gasoline engine = mark of the beast when it came accessibility. Mulling over a change from street to something else. Paying for the privilege of getting sideswiped on Ontario's fine protestant highways is wearing thin, especially in Toronto. Personally, I think the GTA has lost the plot completely, so a cozy corner with like-minded people is appealing.

Dirt. Go as fast and hard as you want. And you can go every single day! I sold my track bike to get back into dirt and enjoy it so much more.

i don't think the 2 are comparable, i have both and they are totally different in my opinion
get injured at the track and paramedics are standing over you within minutes, get injured in the woods and things get a little more interesting, same goes for mechanical issues.

both are really fun tho, and dirt bikes cost a lot less

you are missing a lot of obvious solutions: you can rent gear, buy used gear, if you are smart about it some of the gear you buy for the track can double as street gear (helmet, gloves, boots, 2 piece suit), you dont have to buy a trailer, u haul rents them for $20 a day, or you can rent a cargo van if your car / truck doesn't have a hitch, if im not mistaken Riders Choice often transport their customers bikes to their track days

How does that work? Are there places that allow mountain bikes/trials bikes but not other off-road vehicles? I would have thought that gasoline engine = mark of the beast when it came accessibility. Mulling over a change from street to something else. Paying for the privilege of getting sideswiped on Ontario's fine protestant highways is wearing thin, especially in Toronto. Personally, I think the GTA has lost the plot completely, so a cozy corner with like-minded people is appealing.

Private property owned usually by trials enthusiasts.A farm with a ravine and creek is usually good.10 acres is plenty.Here is one of our really cool spots with a huge variety of terrain.https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.9180054,-79.8635609,460m/data=!3m1!1e3
To ride our events you need a trials bike, (trials tires,no knobbies) $40 CVMG membership (anually) for insurance and a $5 entry fee.Zoom out of the google map.You will be surprised where this is.No other riding is permitted there at any time by anyone.The SOCT has about 10 locations.

How does that work? Are there places that allow mountain bikes/trials bikes but not other off-road vehicles? ...
yes

but I'm 100% not responsible for you if you have a boo-boo.
better then 400 acres here if you are brave enough.

you are missing a lot of obvious solutions: you can rent gear, buy used gear, if you are smart about it some of the gear you buy for the track can double as street gear (helmet, gloves, boots, 2 piece suit), you dont have to buy a trailer, u haul rents them for $20 a day, or you can rent a cargo van if your car / truck doesn't have a hitch, if im not mistaken Riders Choice often transport their customers bikes to their track days

Used gear is still pricey. which track-day organizer rents gear? I haven't seen any.

Used gear is still pricey. which track-day organizer rents gear? I haven't seen any.

FAST sells their old gear. I think they are selling suits for $250? Call/email them to find out what they have.

Racer 5 also rents gear. Everything. If you do a racer 5 weekend, all you need to do is show up if you like.

i don't think the 2 are comparable, i have both and they are totally different in my opinion
get injured at the track and paramedics are standing over you within minutes, get injured in the woods and things get a little more interesting, same goes for mechanical issues.

both are really fun tho, and dirt bikes cost a lot less
Different but comparable IMO. Out on two wheels away from street craziness. I mostly gave up track because trying to line up schedules for friends to go to the track with was making getting to the already limited amount of track days difficult. Plus it was the same 2-3 tracks over and over mostly. I still do the odd trackday on friends rides.

I can ride trails or dirt track any day I want and find a riding partner for each day.

Price-wise, they're both as expensive as you want to get. I built my 07 GSXR600 for $6000 and sold it for the same. Last years dirtbike was $5500 and I purchased a new one this season for $12,000. It's all how far down the rabbit hole you want to get.

Back
Top Bottom