Well I think I'm done with street SS bikes... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Well I think I'm done with street SS bikes...

perferd

Dont think I can manage a street SS anymore. Body cant take the abuse on my back plus the wife rides a cruiser so we cant really ride for fun together. I want to take longer trips with her more then I want to rip ramps with the guys around town...

I hate to say it but I'm getting older and need a crui....a naked standard touring bike thing lol...

Maybe I just get more into track days and a dedicated track bike...

I haven't made it that far. I was really trying to push this decision down the road cause I love SS bikes and it's really all I want to ride and love looking at. The problem is it just doesn't agree with my body or how my wife rides. I have posted up over this past season questions on different kinds of bikes but didn't really think j would have to make it real lol...

Perhaps a FJR? Plenty of power, more upright seating. Lots of room for overnight packing.
57c849ea3725f4a7f0f089211c40bca9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

140f1f7281a0f1b7ff1533848a616c79.jpg

Nice looking bike.

I'm not sure what I will get just yet. Hell I still have to look into selling or trading my bike before I get a different one lol...

This is heart breaking for me lol...

I did 800kms on this yesterday, could have done more if I wanted to.

782d10d328b462cfe5120ab1c3c27fca.jpg

Nice looking bike.

I'm not sure what I will get just yet. Hell I still have to look into selling or trading my bike before I get a different one lol...

This is heart breaking for me lol...

What's your current ride if you don't mind me asking?

I'll be the first to admit it, most SS bikes have fairly ridiculous ergonomics that can be completely at odds with your back, shoulders, neck, arms, wrists, knees --basically your entire body -- potentially an issue if you're 40+. They're not designed for comfort. If you love SS bikes and want to continue riding then your best approach should be maintaining physical health. Weight training, particularly core strengh (doing exercises like squats, deadlifts, rows, pull-ups) is the key to keeping it fun.

Isn't it ironic though, SS bike insurance is fairly cost-prohibitive for anyone under 30 and most riders of SS bikes tend to be more mature, say 30 - 40+, exactly when our bodies start not to bounce back like they did in our 20's.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Perhaps a FJR? Plenty of power, more upright seating. Lots of room for overnight packing.
57c849ea3725f4a7f0f089211c40bca9.jpg

I rode my FJR 4200km to Penticton BC last week from Hamilton...
I'm 52 and had no problem doing 950km days... I did however replace the OEM
seat a while back. A must to as most FJR fans will agree.. the factory seat is not all that great.
You gotta get a better seat and you'll be able to put off getting a cruiser at least for a while

I'm 39 with back problems and ride am MV Agusta F4 lol...

Cant sell the wires bike I bought it for her cause it's exactly what she wanted...

I'm actually in really good shape due to work and exercise it's just I have a back of a 150year old lol...

Some great standard bikes that come with more then enough power and kitted well for touring.

BMW s1000xr and the Ducati Multistrada would be top of my list. A LOT of power, amazing tech and in my opinion gorgeous bikes. Great bikes for touring or going to the grocery store.
THR9v

F4 has about a half inch of foam on the saddle and stock rear spring rates well suited to the IOM
;) you need a plush riding sport touring BMW if you don't want to ride the pegs most of the time.

... give it to me I'm 63 and can still put my leg behind my head.
signed: the human pretzel

Last edited:
My proscription for you: A bucket seat, footboards, high handlebars, and a big windshield.

You can get a metric version that looks exactly the same if you don't want to go Harley...

wOgMGUv.jpg

I only added my bagger so that I could tour 2up and go on some lighter paced rides with my cruiser group of friends as I already had a 600 track bike and SS1000 street bike beside it in the garage. Took a couple months to really start enjoying the bagger but when I did I ended up selling the SS1000 because it was always sitting.
If you don't want to go full cruiser and would prefer more sport touring without the need to 2up I'd take a good look at the Super Duke GT.

^That's basically what my wife has but I really just dont like the looks feel ride or sound of it. That is why I won't get a full out cruiser...

I remember when I got out of the Marines and bought my first bike at 24. In 6 months I put on 12k Miles and it was a kawi 636. My next couple bikes were SS and I rode crazy miles but I was a lot younger and my back wasnt eaten up yet lol. I can still go to the track and rip for a weekend no problem but I'm not doing a 1k trip or trips around the country with the wife.

It's all good I'm sure things will fall into place at some point. I'll probably post up my bike for sale and see where it goes from there...

Thx guys

If you like your current bike but your back / wrists / shoulders / neck don't like you for it ...

Look into changing the ergonomics. Adjustable and/or raised handlebars can work wonders. It doesn't take much to make a huge difference. (I bought a set of Helibars for my zx10r and ended up installing them lower than their default position because they were too high!) Sometimes it's enough to just unclamp the handlebars and rotate them back on the forks a little bit, just make sure they don't hit the gas tank or frame.

If it's your legs, look into changing the footpeg brackets to lower the footpegs or move them forward a bit. (The opposite of "rearsets")

I sympathise ... I jumped on a late model Yamaha R1 for part of an endurance race in the last SOAR round, and one of the reasons I only did 15 minutes on the bike is that I couldn't handle the ergonomics. (The other reason is that I'm slower around the track with 170 hp than I am with 60 hp, but that's another matter ...)

We had a guy come ride with us on a VMAX. We were on an assortment of sports bikes and he was keeping up if not out paing much of the group. I'd never seen one in real life and was shocked by the speed of the thing. He could also stand up straight quicker than the rest of us after a couple of hours in the saddle.

Back
Top Bottom