Dalton Timmins policy cancelled | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dalton Timmins policy cancelled

ScorpionT16

Anyone else receive a letter from DT saying that their policy is being cancelled?

I just got it, due to "10.2 Any operator of a motorcycle licensed less than 6 years". This is ridiculous, I'm 27, clean record, ride a CB500X, M2.

There's a thread on it here in the insurance forum. Aviva is changing their underwriting policies.

And you're not being "cancelled", you're not being renewed. Big difference so far as the effects it has on your insurability just moving somewhere else. My wife just moved to Echelon because she moved mid-term to a bigger bike and for policy changes Aviva was already enforcing this a few months ago.

Couldn't find the thread here on it, sorry. The letter I got says "Date Policy Cancelled:September 19, 2018". My renewal isn't until Mid October, so it's not just ending the contract as I see it. tomorrow I will call around and see what's going on.

Anyone else receive a letter from DT saying that their policy is being cancelled?

I just got it, due to "10.2 Any operator of a motorcycle licensed less than 6 years". This is ridiculous, I'm 27, clean record, ride a CB500X, M2.

I'm using Dalton Timmins and they're insuring me through Echelon on both bikes. Call them and ask what's going on.

Only effecting policies underwritten by Aviva.

Couldn't find the thread here on it, sorry. The letter I got says "Date Policy Cancelled:September 19, 2018". My renewal isn't until Mid October, so it's not just ending the contract as I see it. tomorrow I will call around and see what's going on.

You may wish to FIGHT, this decision in a NICE way, ask them to simply have it extended to the end of your term, (approx 1 month). It also could be a broker simply got the date wrong. As PP stated you want to simply be not renewed as opposed to having a policy CANCELLED. If you answer yes to the question have you ever been denied or had a policy cancelled, then you can expect an automatic "surcharge" on any new policy for the next 5 - 7 years.

So call D-T today and ask for an explanation, I suspect you may find it is just a clerical error, but you do NOT want a policy cancelled!!!

Something doesn’t add up about being canceled vs just not renewed.

Did you mislead them (intentionally or accidentally) about how long you had been M class licensed when you originally obtained the policy by chance?

Thanks for the head ups, I did call DT today and had a chat. I was mistaken, it is just not being renewed, I got my policy in mid October, though the end is indeed September (1 month before). My broker said they just got news of all this from Aviva, and have someone working on finding a way for existing riders to stay and are super busy on that. She said Aviva now also requires you to sign your house and car with them to get any moto insurance above the 6 year guideline.

I did call riders plus and got a quote through Echelon, same price+coverage, so if DT doesn't sort this in 2 weeks, I'll be switching over.

Glad, you got clarification, good luck.

Thanks for the head ups, I did call DT today and had a chat. I was mistaken, it is just not being renewed, I got my policy in mid October, though the end is indeed September (1 month before). My broker said they just got news of all this from Aviva, and have someone working on finding a way for existing riders to stay and are super busy on that. She said Aviva now also requires you to sign your house and car with them to get any moto insurance above the 6 year guideline.

I did call riders plus and got a quote through Echelon, same price+coverage, so if DT doesn't sort this in 2 weeks, I'll be switching over.

Dalton Timmis underwrites through Echelon as well. Probably easiest to just stay with them for simplicities sake and ask them to change underwriters - that's exactly what my wife did moving from Aviva to Echelon exactly as you will be. WAY easier than moving brokers in their entirety.

This is sh#@tty. Just got the same letter. I was paying a mere $660/year in Toronto conviction free for my CBR250 on an M2. Now I have an M but one minor conviction. Can't find anything under $1000 now. Not sure what to do, sell my bike or keep hunting for a rate, anything around $900 would be reasonable.

This is sh#@tty. Just got the same letter. I was paying a mere $660/year in Toronto conviction free for my CBR250 on an M2. Now I have an M but one minor conviction. Can't find anything under $1000 now. Not sure what to do, sell my bike or keep hunting for a rate, anything around $900 would be reasonable.
$100 difference a year is enough for you to sell your bike? It boils down to approx. $8 a month.

Have to draw the line somewhere. From $660 to $900 is already a big jump, to think most places are quoting me $1100 or more.

I found a quote at $500/year thru Dalton, I am going to pursue and see what it works out to be with accident benefits and tweaking all my deductibles.

$100 difference a year is enough for you to sell your bike? It boils down to approx. $8 a month.

1000-660=340 difference per year or approximately 28 bucks a month

still not huge, but for some that might just be too much...

There's a thread on it here in the insurance forum. Aviva is changing their underwriting policies.

And you're not being "cancelled", you're not being renewed. Big difference so far as the effects it has on your insurability just moving somewhere else. My wife just moved to Echelon because she moved mid-term to a bigger bike and for policy changes Aviva was already enforcing this a few months ago.

Can you please point me in the direction of the thread that's discussing this? (As I couldn't find it in the insurance forum.)

My broker just contacted me and said that AVIVA is not going to renew my policy and I assume this is the reasoning behind it.

Thanks.

Yes where is the thread. Couldn’t find it either.

Found a policy for about the same price as my Aviva policy ($5 more a month or so). It’s with Echelon. So it looks like the imperative to get rid of the bike isn’t there.

Back
Top Bottom