Anyone here will OLD bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone here will OLD bikes

Knight

Anyone here have OLD bikes

Anyone here have some old stuff not mids 80s like mine I mean like 50s 40s 30s.
just curious I like many bikes and saw a lovely 1941 indian military bike at a meet last week and loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone on here is restoring an ariel square four. I doubt it's on the road yet though (and not sure what their intentions are once complete).

Vintage bikes are cool to own and can be fun.But they can also be a pain in the *** to keep running if you ride them hard.My daughter rides my 1976 Yamaha in trials competitions.The drum brakes,cables and old flimsy controls and fenders need constant attention.Still a bunch of fun tho.She is upgrading to a modern bike soon.Not sure what i will do with the old Yamaha.
12342604_1681746112071078_2519919330075195886_n_zps2mtgllno.jpg

Owning one to look and go to the shoe-shine is nice. Owning one to ride is lots of work. The old Brit bikes look good, attract crowds, but leave you at the hands of extortionate antique parts sellers. Old Hondas are headed that way too. I would love to have an old BSA, AJS, Matchless, or Norton to restore. I ruled them out because I have too many projects and not enough time.

I've had Norton, Rudge, Matchless and a boat load of Japanese. Thinned the herd when my garage space shifted. I'd add a Laverda or BMW when the right one comes available.
They are pretty simple to own and maintain, carbs and no electronics, just old wiring. If your going to Saturday am potter about, no problem. Ridden in anger and you'll be spending money.

The prices have been someone driven to the moon by guys that were car nuts then figured out 5 bikes fit in 1 car space. Parts aren't bad , its not like aircraft or marine.

I've had Norton, Rudge, Matchless and a boat load of Japanese. Thinned the herd when my garage space shifted. I'd add a Laverda or BMW when the right one comes available.
They are pretty simple to own and maintain, carbs and no electronics, just old wiring. If your going to Saturday am potter about, no problem. Ridden in anger and you'll be spending money.

The prices have been someone driven to the moon by guys that were car nuts then figured out 5 bikes fit in 1 car space. Parts aren't bad , its not like aircraft or marine.

The one big change i made to my 76 Yamaha was to install a cdi ignition and dump the points and condenser.The only failure i have had with the bike is the cdi unit.It was 14 months old and the manufacturer wouldn't honour the 1 year warranty.$400 bucks later.Groan.

I have a 1974 XL250 almost all original, comes with a binder full of receipts from the original owner. It is blue plated and good fun heading to the bakery via the dirt roads

Vintage bikes are cool to own and can be fun.But they can also be a pain in the *** to keep running if you ride them hard.My daughter rides my 1976 Yamaha in trials competitions.The drum brakes,cables and old flimsy controls and fenders need constant attention.Still a bunch of fun tho.She is upgrading to a modern bike soon.Not sure what i will do with the old Yamaha.
12342604_1681746112071078_2519919330075195886_n_zps2mtgllno.jpg

Awesome bike!

I have a 1974 DT360, not running at the moment. :p

Re: Anyone here have OLD bikes

I've got a 73 Norton Commando that I'm slowly restoring. Fun to own and ride, but the right side shifter, reverse order 4 speed gearbox takes some getting used to. As do the "brakes", you really need to plan that panic stop in advance.

Attachments

• 74commandoaug.jpg
    74commandoaug.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11
Re: Anyone here have OLD bikes

Part of the fun of owning old bikes is the wrenching/restoration. The ‘hunt’ for parts and learning from others is rewarding.

I’m not going on any 5000km trips anytime soon. I do get out on some decent rides (was out as far as Peterborough on the CB350F on Saturday). That’s Honda reliability for ya.

Only had one breakdown on the Yamaha RD250 in 15 years...condenser failure out in Brantford. Got her home and fixed in less than 10 minutes.

You gotta ride ‘em...don’t hide ‘em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom