Night time riding? What is the really hazard? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Night time riding? What is the really hazard?

Also drunk drivers at 2AM.

I've been taken out by two drunk drivers in over 40 years of driving. Thankfully (I suppose there's an upside) while driving cars. The first one was at 4:30 pm on a long weekend Saturday and the other was at 11 am on a Monday. People with drinking problems are drunk at any time of day. Then you have shift workers who will unwind with some brewskies at 8 am if that's when they punch out. Eventually a few of them have to drive home from their buddy's where they were drinking.

YIrgJ33dTdybsuPjuHZlCw

Out-riding your headlights.
You don't have to hit the deer to have it hit you, if a car going the opposite direction takes out a deer you might be the one wearing it, leave as much escape space as possible for on-comming traffic, extra space in front when following, it's a pretty safe bet that if you follow in the wheel tracks of a car or truck ahead of you anything you ride over will be fairly flat, any debris they straddle will come up on you very fast.
Personally I'd rather ride in heavy rain then in the dark.

I know a few people that have hit deer.None of them were able to swerve because they didn't see it coming.The only reasonable answer is to not ride in areas where they are active at certain hours (dawn/dusk).

I know a few people that have hit deer.None of them were able to swerve because they didn't see it coming.The only reasonable answer is to not ride in areas where they are active at certain hours (dawn/dusk).

I like that you said they hit the deer, most claim the deer hit them,
which is pretty stupid because deer will do almost anything to miss you whereas car drivers are: la, la la, la la, I'm all safe in my caaaaarrrr.

My night collisions:
I've hit deer twice, and a moose once -- all in big cars or small trucks. One deer was flung at me after hitting a car going the other way on Hwy 7 near Kaladar, it tore off the suspension of a 72 Charger. Another deer got caught in my headlights on concession 2 at Queensville SD RD, I was able to slow enough to just bump him in my jeep, the moose was on Put-In-Bay road near Dorsett - messed up my Astro nicely. Had I been on a bike for any of these, I may not be here to write this.

Also hit a goose on 407 & 9th line in my Suburban - that too would have taken a toll if I was riding.

My worst fear is having a deer pooping out of the bushes at night.

That could be messy... especially if it had diarrhea.

..Tom

Have any R6 guys here upgraded headlights to LED? I'm thinking of ordering a set of LED H7s for mine, but not sure about the size of the heat sinks. I don't want to have to modify the stock covers, does anybody make an enlarged cover?

why don't you just add some LED lights?
LED makes more light with less power but in a narrower visible spectrum

That's what I said, I want to upgrade from halogen H7 to LED H7 headlights. Ever since I put LED bulbs in the truck I've been convinced. I am also going to put an LED strip kit in it eventually though. I also want to find a daymaker style headlight for the shadow.

I would keep the H7 as is and add the LED's as accessory lights. Been considering that on my MV.
... I want to retain the broad spectrum lighting.

Last edited:
I have LED's, and the side front POD lights (accessory lights?) as well, and I find them brighter then stock lights. Especially when the sun goes down completely. Not super bright, might be due to the style and brand. But I still want to add another set of fog lights to the crash bars. I have seen a few riders with it and they really stand out. Plus the more you can see the better, and whatever makes you more noticeable.

Personally I'd rather ride in heavy rain then in the dark.

IIRC, David L Hough's advice on night riding is quite succinct: "Don't."

One of the newer hazards is people "upgrading" their lights. FFS, figure out how to do it properly, without blinding oncoming drivers/riders.

There's a good and valid reason that stock low beams don't show you what's 1 - 2 km down the road, and that high beams aren't permitted within certain distances of other vehicles.

Big lights might make you feel safer, I doubt they really do much -- they may even add more risk in some cases. More bugs for sure, also many animals move toward light (bears, turkeys), deer, moose and oncoming drivers are mesmerized more as brightness increases.

I have Denali's installed on my forks. Without a doubt I'm more visible during the day. Coming towards someone straight on or on a angle you can't miss me. Big difference riding in the dark as well. Expensive but whats it worth to be seen and see?

Back
Top Bottom