Night time riding? What is the really hazard? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Night time riding? What is the really hazard?

TorontoMiata

Hi all. Again I am a beginner. I just did a 1300km trip from whiteface mountain. Today I left from Utica to Toronto at around 4:30 am. I was a bit scared at first since all the back road doesn't have any light but got used to it quickly. for a 2 hours trip from Utica to Cape Vincent I was mostly calmed since I was basically the only guy on the road. Whole time there was only one pickup passed me and I followed him for a while. I saw two deers crossing street but they were about 100 meters away and they run away in a second. All the on coming traffic I could see their head light from a great distance. I know people are reluctant to do night riding but I found it was not that bad. I guess the real hazard would be the wild animals? I admit if any deer came from the side I would not have responded. However, what a lovely experience to watch sunrise while you are riding! Part of me would really like to do it again. So fellows, please share your thoughts about night time riding, let me know something I overlooked! Thanks in advance!

I have done a fair bit of riding at night. Often it's because I thought I could ride more distance in a given time than I could, and ended up riding for hours in the dark to reach my destination. I hit a deer in West Virginia a few years ago around 9:30pm when the sun had set by 6:30pm and took it out pretty good. They are very unpredictable and fast, so that's not a good combo.

In the urban environment, it's other road users to watch out for and in the rural environment it's generally wildlife.

Riding at night also increases the likelihood of other road users not seeing you, so having some reflective stickers, rim tape or piping/stripes on your gear, can help improve your visibility.
Something like:
DSCN9326-XL.jpg

As others have said.Mostly nocturnal animals.

Animals are actually my biggest fear. I'm in a rural area so my riding is 80% paved country roads. When I ride to work
( 1/2 hour ride ) I'm out the door at 5:00 and terrified of having a deer run out in front or into the side of me. Wild turkeys wouldn't be a good time either.

it's not unusal to see cars at night without their lights on in the gta, car's have problems judging distance and not sure what you are.
wear reflective clothing, puts some your bike. I put some 3m reflective patch on the back and front (shoulder harness) of my backpack.
Last weekend during a day ride around the parrysound area, a couple deer were crossing the road, as soon as I honk the horn, the two deer froze in their tracks. so if you think the deer will cross before you get there then I wouldn't honk.
BTW those who have fog insert for the visor, double check if it ok to use the insert at night. My old HJC pinlock insert were not for night time riding. The fog insert/pinlock gives a weird double reflection from the streetlights bouncing off it. later

Deer of course - just remember not to swerve to avoid animals....get on the binders and keep the bike straight. Use a vehicle ahead of you as a deer catcher but don't ride too close. If you see one cross the road be cautious as there are usually more.
Racoons and smaller animals - don't swerve - slow down and they will get out of the way or not. Keep your bike straight

I enjoy riding at night tho I've not had the lighting the Burgman 650 provided on my last two bikes. I'm hoping the CB500x LEDs will get me back to good lighting.

Ground fog can be exhilirating at night if your head is just above the fog level.

It can also conceal road issues and get very dense very quickly. Low beam is your friend but don't stop on the shoulder....you will be invisible - 4 ways are useful if you have them.

Night riding on slab is a good way to make time in boring areas and avoid traffic...the air is calmer too as winds die down. I'll likely be doing a bit of night slab when I get back in October ...get the break in on the CB500x done early on. Even on slab tho in deer country like PA or New York be cautious.

Poor lights tho makes night riding too tense and two lane with heavy traffic ...fugedaboudit.

Deer deer deer.

Dawn and dusk are when they are most active, but they're always around. If you're riding and you see deer carcasses, slow down and be vigilant.

Used to ride a lot at night when touring, trying to make a destination. I try to keep it to a minimum now. Thankfully never hit a deer on my bike, but wrote off my car hitting one around 7:30am a few years back

Another deer phobic. They've just come too close to me for comfort. Moose too. The small critters (Opossum, Skunk, Groundhog, Raccoons) are squishy and can jog your front wheel - stay straight, keep your knees tight to the tank and be ready to correct the bike - in these situations. The other thing is drunks in pickup trucks. Night riding is especially tricky in the rain because wet roads absorb the light making visibility more difficult. This may not be a problem for you, but it is a problem for other drivers who can't see you. I use high-viz reflective clothing at night. Remember you may have a young person's eyes, but plenty of drivers don't see nearly as well as you.

Wild animals already covered.

Drunk drivers already covered.

In traffic, your single headlight blends into the crowd and it's hard for other motorists to judge your distance or speed, or even your existence among the many other headlights.

In rural areas (no street lighting) when you have to turn, your headlights will not adequately light the way around the turn. I have seen riders install extra lighting on their forks aimed outward and upward to combat this, and I'm aware of one production motorcycle that has "cornering lights" intended to combat this.

Deer don't always wander onto the road. They spring out without warning.

Is that dark spot on the road ahead a pothole, oil spot, piece of metal, water???

Yep, animals.

Installing LED lighting on my bike made a massive difference in what I can see far ahead, as well as in the ditches. Well worth the investment.

If I was regularly riding at night off the beaten path I'd install a bunch more aux LED's to improve things further yet.

Out-riding your headlight. It doesn't matter if it's deer, potholes, sand, or anything else; if you're going to be on top of it before you recognize it, then you're in trouble.

it's not unusal to see cars at night without their lights on in the gta, car's have problems judging distance and not sure what you are.
wear reflective clothing, puts some your bike. I put some 3m reflective patch on the back and front (shoulder harness) of my backpack.
Last weekend during a day ride around the parrysound area, a couple deer were crossing the road, as soon as I honk the horn, the two deer froze in their tracks. so if you think the deer will cross before you get there then I wouldn't honk.
BTW those who have fog insert for the visor, double check if it ok to use the insert at night. My old HJC pinlock insert were not for night time riding. The fog insert/pinlock gives a weird double reflection from the streetlights bouncing off it. later
it is interesting how deer brains work.
My pin lock works fine this time.

Deer of course - just remember not to swerve to avoid animals....get on the binders and keep the bike straight. Use a vehicle ahead of you as a deer catcher but don't ride too close. If you see one cross the road be cautious as there are usually more.
Racoons and smaller animals - don't swerve - slow down and they will get out of the way or not. Keep your bike straight

I enjoy riding at night tho I've not had the lighting the Burgman 650 provided on my last two bikes. I'm hoping the CB500x LEDs will get me back to good lighting.

Ground fog can be exhilirating at night if your head is just above the fog level.

It can also conceal road issues and get very dense very quickly. Low beam is your friend but don't stop on the shoulder....you will be invisible - 4 ways are useful if you have them.

Night riding on slab is a good way to make time in boring areas and avoid traffic...the air is calmer too as winds die down. I'll likely be doing a bit of night slab when I get back in October ...get the break in on the CB500x done early on. Even on slab tho in deer country like PA or New York be cautious.

Poor lights tho makes night riding too tense and two lane with heavy traffic ...fugedaboudit.

I feel the cb500x led works just fine for me, but again, this is my first bike and I have nothing to compare with

Wild animals already covered.

Drunk drivers already covered.

In traffic, your single headlight blends into the crowd and it's hard for other motorists to judge your distance or speed, or even your existence among the many other headlights.

In rural areas (no street lighting) when you have to turn, your headlights will not adequately light the way around the turn. I have seen riders install extra lighting on their forks aimed outward and upward to combat this, and I'm aware of one production motorcycle that has "cornering lights" intended to combat this.

Thanks for the headlight info. I have no cornering lights but I ride slow in the corner to compensate for now

Rain. Rain is gonna make all the mentioned problems even worse, plus the bonus of reduced traction and braking. If you feel the bike squirm a bit, hear popping noises and are near wetlands, don't look down. They're frogs.

Back
Top Bottom