Night time riding? What is the really hazard? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Night time riding? What is the really hazard?

Re: Night time riding? What is the really hazard?

Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    While on the topic of being seen at night, as I've offered a few times here before...I still have quite a quantity of 3M reflective material up for grabs (free) for any GTAM'ers who would like it. This is the same stuff they use on the overhead signs on the 401, roadside signs, etc etc - the ones you can see a kilometer or more away.

It's very heavy and thick material but you can't get anything any more reflective out there.

I'm between Oshawa and Bowmanville. For anyone who doesn't regularly get out this way I'd be willing to cut up your choices of colours (Say about 1sq foot worth?) into strips small enough to fit into a regular lettermail envelope and ship it to you as long as you're willing to throw me a few scheckles (PayPal preferred) for the postage and my time.

PM sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bass View Post
    @Jayell I still have some stuff that I picked up from PP when I was out that way last year. You are more than welcome to swing by my place and get some if you want bigger pieces.
    Thanks Joe, but I don't need anything right now.
    Jayell: 2011 Triumph Thruxton - The Jewel, 2002 Triumph Tiger 955i - The Mule. Mrs. Jayell: 2013 Honda CB500F
    Alaska 2016 Ride Report: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-Vacation-time

Quote Originally Posted by sburns View Post
    Red and blue are definitely are no no's if they are forward facing. Other directions I believe is a little grey area.
    Blue is actually legal facing forward as long as it's not blinking - that's only legal on snow removal equipment.

Only legal forward facing colours are white (headlight), blue, and amber.

Only legal side facing colours - side front is amber and side rear is red.

At the rear the only legal colours are red and amber when used only for signals - amber cannot be used it it's constantly lit.

Any other colours being emitted from any other direction or from an improper placement (IE, red side facing at the front of a vehicle) is grounds for a ticket. Generally most LEO's won't bother with the commonly accepted amber and red if used elsewhere on a motorcycle, but all the funky colours many use (purple, blue, green are the most common ones I see) will yield a ticket if you find the right officer in the wrong mood.

At the very least it increases your heat score.
    --VTX1300 (Mine)
    ---Vstar 1100 (Wife)
    ----VStar 650 (Sold)
    -----GZ250 Marauder (Sold)
    Insurance Price Heat Map

Quote Originally Posted by ReSTored View Post
    While each situation with a deer is unique if you're going to hit him you should be straight up in emergency/panic braking mode thankful you opted for a bike with ABS. On a ride in PA in June 3rd member of group never arrived at next turning point. After waiting 5 minutes we returned to find him standing at the side of the road inspecting his ABS equipped ST1300 for damage. Deer had pooped out of the bushes right in front of him and rider slammed on his brakes, centered punched the deer and came to a stop without dumping it. Deer got up after a few minutes and ran away, bike damage was minimal, rider was a combination of skillful and very lucky.
    My worst fear is having a deer pooping out of the bushes at night.
    2007 Black CBR125 - SOLD!

Grey Ninja 300 SE Abs -

Layer up for when you lay'er down.

I stopped riding after dark at least 15 years ago. I have a dark shield on my helmet and never bother switching back to clear at all. If you are riding at night with a windshield and glasses and it starts to rain you just can't see worth crap. I've done that from Windsor to Barrie and the risk is too great. Ride during the day...

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    Oh yeah.
    I hate having deers poop out in the open. Where did they get their manners? Pooping should be done in the bushes only!

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by inreb

His wife would.love to tools user the tree. You know, user the tree. To tools.

If you are riding at night with a windshield and glasses and it starts to rain you just can't see worth crap
    A wnidscreen should never be set that you have to look through it. A visor with water repellent on it has easy visibility in rain at night.
    Very fine rain, mist, fog is tougher and you need to be able to put the visor in windstream to keep the mist beading and running off.

It's certainly not something I would do by choice but can be done with relatively good vision for the rider.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Feb to May
    Canada > 2009 CBF1000 CBS/ABS 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold 10 Wee ABS x 2 both sold
    Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
    Travel photos>https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/ya9jsh6a

Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePilot View Post
    While on the topic of being seen at night, as I've offered a few times here before...I still have quite a quantity of 3M reflective material up for grabs (free) for any GTAM'ers who would like it. This is the same stuff they use on the overhead signs on the 401, roadside signs, etc etc - the ones you can see a kilometer or more away.

It's very heavy and thick material but you can't get anything any more reflective out there.

I'm between Oshawa and Bowmanville. For anyone who doesn't regularly get out this way I'd be willing to cut up your choices of colours (Say about 1sq foot worth?) into strips small enough to fit into a regular lettermail envelope and ship it to you as long as you're willing to throw me a few scheckles (PayPal preferred) for the postage and my time.

What a generous gentleman! May bother you next time I bypass that area!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mike View Post
    I do a lot of night riding, there are a few things to consider.

Wildlife - particularly this time of year. In the fall you're going to see raccoons and porcupines get attracted to roads because they stay warm as the nights cool. They are very hard to see at night and when you hit one it's quite a thump. I hit a porcupine a few years ago when riding a cruiser, it ripped up my fork seals. A few near misses with deer and a bear.

Road Hazards - I hit a paving grind at night on a little Ninja, it cracked my rim. It's very hard to see potholes, debris, and construction work at night.

Drunks.

Increase your visibility with reflective tape. Be extra careful when approaching blind or obscured intersections, add some low focused driving lamps to increase road visibility.

I will agree there is nothing more beautiful than watching the sun rise or set when on the open road.
    Yes! I love it when I watch sunrise and sunset no matter I am on a bike or a car
    2018 HONDA CB500X

Quote Originally Posted by Evol View Post
    Most riders are concerned about being seen at night. Well, I've added more visibility to myself for night riding as well. I find it more fun to ride at night due to reduced traffic and cooler air temperatures.

However, if I were to lead a group ride, I would definitely take a group out while the sun is out; as you can see the road better and you can see much further ahead. Night riding is more of a solo activity for myself but I've done it in small groups before.

Yes, it is fun and chill to run after sunset. I have done a couple of times due to my unusual work schedule.
    2018 HONDA CB500X

Quote Originally Posted by KJM View Post
    I go to PA and Lake George at least a couple times a year and no matter how well I try I always seem to be riding at night getting back to camp at least once.

I've been thinking about adding some aux lighting. Any recommendations?
    Hello, sorry I cant give advise on aux lighting. May I ask where do you camp? I found Lake George area is quite charming and plan to do a trip again later this year. Thanks in advance!
    2018 HONDA CB500X

Lots of good advice as usual. I appreciated every single reply! Thank you all for sharing and made me a better rider everyday.
    2018 HONDA CB500X

Quote Originally Posted by PLau View Post
    I'm pretty sure I meant to type "popped out" vs. "pooped out" ........

I'm going to have to start proof reading my posts or find some kind of context / spell checker type app.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

Little thread hijack here, but I'm confused.....

Quote Originally Posted by ReSTored View Post
    ... Deer had pooped out of the bushes right in front of him and rider slammed on his brakes, centered punched the deer and came to a stop without dumping it.
    Joe, perhaps the above quoted post would clarify lol.

That's the post Plau quoted, and jokingly said what s/he said.
    Last edited by roadrash; Yesterday at 06:00 PM.

if you are riding rural roads, be careful of loose gravel around corners, very difficult to see at night. I work until midnight and have gotten caught in a skid a few times due to gravel around the corners.
    Also hit a Racoon a few weeks ago.
    Liberals need to just go away and shut their ignorant mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrash View Post
    Joe, perhaps the above quoted post would clarify lol.

That's the post Plau quoted, and jokingly said what s/he said.
    Well it seems I'm a little late to the party lol
    I feel like a dumb@$$

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bass View Post
    Well it seems I'm a little late to the party lol
    I feel like a dumb@$$
    Maybe you were just tired at the time.

Pooped out, so to speak...