Bike died mid ride. Any ideas? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike died mid ride. Any ideas?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Electrical things doing weird things make me think electrical short. Other than the broken mud guard how was CAA service?

CAA is normally okay, this is the first time I've had somebody **** something up. I even told them not to tie it down that way but "blah blah blah x years of experience blah blah"

........gah.

It made a "clicking" sound but wouldn't turn over? Interesting. I had that very same thing happened to me last summer. I lost power without any warning --instrument cluster just started to dim then went blank about 5 minutes before my bike died ('11 ZX6R). Turned out it was the stator coil, completely fried.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I don't think it's the stator because the dash still turns on. I need to check the voltage and go from there like others have said...bike is not with me though. The grounding issue is also quite possible as I've had electronic related issues on this bike before.

Last edited:
Does this bike have a bank angle sensor? If so add it to your list of things to check.

While I'm often wrong........ I'd be inclined to think you have a dirty connections and/or a bad battery. First thing I'd do is check the dirt cheap things like battery voltage, thoroughly clean terminals, charge battery if required and then retry.

They should if he contacts them and files a complaint.

Thanks for that.

Debating if I should call or not as this will be a pain in the *** to argue and the membership is my father's, not mine.

Regardless, I won't be getting to the bike until this weekend. **** this adult life lol

油井緋色;2584904 said:
Thanks for that.

Debating if I should call or not as this will be a pain in the *** to argue and the membership is my father's, not mine.

Regardless, I won't be getting to the bike until this weekend. **** this adult life lol
I recently signed up with CAA plus.
Iirc you need plus to tow a motorcycle and also iirc with plus you can tow anyones vehicle. Double check that and if so, I would make that call.
Also, adulting kinda sucks.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

There is also a "brown connector" in between the r/r and stator which likes to melt...

CAA membership goes with the member, not any particular vehicle. So, you dad could have called for the tow on your bike. Doesn't matter, they accepted and did the tow and did the damage. Make a claim ASAP to avoid/mitigate any question of when it happened.

my money is on stator or dud battery. my stator died on my bike last month way different bike i know but i had same thing once the battery voltage drops just enough it will just die.

Yeah, the reason why I think stator and not battery is that the bike died mid-ride while it should have been charging the entire time.

Dead batteries tend to make themselves known before the ride even starts...

Really good point.

And regarding the CAA comments, thank you. Will contact them.

Does this bike have a bank angle sensor? .....
;) that's it, he exceeded it while ramping.

Does it have a fuse?
... or
has it recently had mice living in it.

;) that's it, he exceeded it while ramping.

Does it have a fuse?
... or
has it recently had mice living in it.

Haha, you're a riot...............

Many bikes have bank angle sensors and the ST1100's were defective in early years leading to a recall. Sensor would die and so would bike, often while on the road. So, like a sidestand or neutral lockout switch this is just one more electrical thing to check and many people don't realize their bike even has one.

Hey did you ever resolve this? Curious to know the solution.

Hey did you ever resolve this? Curious to know the solution.

No actually.

As much as it pains me to say this, I ****ing hate the RSV1000R when compared to my old GSXR. I ended up draining the fluids and storing it.

Bring it here, I'll ride it for you.
... we can spike the tires and ice race it here this winter!

Last edited:
Bring it here, I'll ride it for you.
... we can spike the tires and ice race it here this winter!

I'm not responsible if the thing self destructs while operating in sub zero temps for no reason...I would not be surprised either lol

油井緋色;2593036 said:
No actually.

As much as it pains me to say this, I ****ing hate the RSV1000R when compared to my old GSXR. I ended up draining the fluids and storing it.
depressing, off to the dealer.

Ya my friend had a 2012 GSXR1000, bought a 2015 RSV1000R...ended up hating it and picked up a 2016 ZX10R and couldn't be happier.
I do not like European sports bikes period. Japan all the way when it comes to supersports.

Back
Top Bottom