Bike died mid ride. Any ideas? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike died mid ride. Any ideas?

油井緋色

Site Supporter
Can't get it to start. Powered out of a corner and bike lost power. Neutral light came on (was in 3rd.) Now it clicks and won't turn on. 2005 RSV1000R. Battery clearly has power as the lights turn on. Kill switch is not engaged. Bike is in actual neutral. Kickstand up or down doesn't matter. Google says starter relay is common problem on this model.

Waiting for CAA now but figured I might as well ask you guys lol

Last edited:
Did you try going up and down through the gears and back to neutral and try starting it?

How about bump starting it?

Fuel cap properly vented? And you checked that you have fuel, right?

Check the fuses? Is there a fuse for the fuel pump on that bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My money is on the battery. You haven't ridden in over a month. I'm betting it's got a dead cell or two and can't keep up to the demand.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

My money is on the battery. You haven't ridden in over a month. I'm betting it's got a dead cell or two and can't keep up to the demand.

+1, especially if its the original battery or Motomaster.

****ing CAA broke my front mud guard strapping it lol

I've left it on my folks garage and will revisit all of these suggestions another day...too much crap today :(

Thank you for the battery suggestions, will try boosting and multi meter reads before going further.

....and how did iceman know I hadnt ridden in a month....lol

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Electrical things doing weird things make me think electrical short. Other than the broken mud guard how was CAA service?

油井緋色;2584685 said:
****ing CAA broke my front mud guard strapping it lol

I've left it on my folks garage and will revisit all of these suggestions another day...too much crap today :(

Thank you for the battery suggestions, will try boosting and multi meter reads before going further.

....and how did iceman know I hadnt ridden in a month....lol
I recalled you saying that in a recent post lol. I try to avoid stalking people.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Lights on when they shouldn't be, and all manner of seemingly unrelated electrical anomalies, sounds like a bad ground.

It made a "clicking" sound but wouldn't turn over? Interesting. I had that very same thing happened to me last summer. I lost power without any warning --instrument cluster just started to dim then went blank about 5 minutes before my bike died ('11 ZX6R). Turned out it was the stator coil, completely fried.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Lights on when they shouldn't be, and all manner of seemingly unrelated electrical anomalies, sounds like a bad ground.

+1

Had this happen to my CBR 125 a few years ago.

Gauges would randomly go crazy and bike would randomly lose what little power it had for a second or two while under load.

Bolt that held the ground wire vibrated loose, but didn't fully disconnect =/

Gypsy curse?

My money says that the electrical components got hit with a pinecone.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

My money says that the electrical components got hit with ice cream.

Fixed it for you...

Fixed it for you...
Lolz
Reading this as I'm eating an ice cream sandwich for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom