Bike died mid ride. Any ideas? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike died mid ride. Any ideas?

Re: Bike died mid ride. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Electrical things doing weird things make me think electrical short. Other than the broken mud guard how was CAA service?
    CAA is normally okay, this is the first time I've had somebody **** something up. I even told them not to tie it down that way but "blah blah blah x years of experience blah blah"

........gah.

Quote Originally Posted by D-J View Post
    It made a "clicking" sound but wouldn't turn over? Interesting. I had that very same thing happened to me last summer. I lost power without any warning --instrument cluster just started to dim then went blank about 5 minutes before my bike died ('11 ZX6R). Turned out it was the stator coil, completely fried.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app
    I don't think it's the stator because the dash still turns on. I need to check the voltage and go from there like others have said...bike is not with me though. The grounding issue is also quite possible as I've had electronic related issues on this bike before.
    Last edited by 油井緋色; 08-12-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, richer, stronger, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.
    ----------------------------------

Does this bike have a bank angle sensor? If so add it to your list of things to check.

While I'm often wrong........ I'd be inclined to think you have a dirty connections and/or a bad battery. First thing I'd do is check the dirt cheap things like battery voltage, thoroughly clean terminals, charge battery if required and then retry.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

CAA paying for the front mud guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    CAA paying for the front mud guard?
    They should if he contacts them and files a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mina View Post
    They should if he contacts them and files a complaint.
    Thanks for that.

Debating if I should call or not as this will be a pain in the *** to argue and the membership is my father's, not mine.

Regardless, I won't be getting to the bike until this weekend. **** this adult life lol
    There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, richer, stronger, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 油井緋色 View Post
    Thanks for that.

Debating if I should call or not as this will be a pain in the *** to argue and the membership is my father's, not mine.

Regardless, I won't be getting to the bike until this weekend. **** this adult life lol
    I recently signed up with CAA plus.
    Iirc you need plus to tow a motorcycle and also iirc with plus you can tow anyones vehicle. Double check that and if so, I would make that call.
    Also, adulting kinda sucks.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by inreb

His wife would.love to tools user the tree. You know, user the tree. To tools.

There is also a "brown connector" in between the r/r and stator which likes to melt...
    to us there was nothing but girls and machines.....

CAA membership goes with the member, not any particular vehicle. So, you dad could have called for the tow on your bike. Doesn't matter, they accepted and did the tow and did the damage. Make a claim ASAP to avoid/mitigate any question of when it happened.

my money is on stator or dud battery. my stator died on my bike last month way different bike i know but i had same thing once the battery voltage drops just enough it will just die.
    Ride or drive anything but transit

Yeah, the reason why I think stator and not battery is that the bike died mid-ride while it should have been charging the entire time.

Dead batteries tend to make themselves known before the ride even starts...

^^ta-dah!
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets

Quote Originally Posted by Lightcycle View Post
    Yeah, the reason why I think stator and not battery is that the bike died mid-ride while it should have been charging the entire time.

Dead batteries tend to make themselves known before the ride even starts...
    Really good point.

And regarding the CAA comments, thank you. Will contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSTored View Post
    Does this bike have a bank angle sensor? .....
    that's it, he exceeded it while ramping.

Does it have a fuse?
    ... or
    has it recently had mice living in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    that's it, he exceeded it while ramping.

Does it have a fuse?
    ... or
    has it recently had mice living in it.
    Haha, you're a riot...............

Many bikes have bank angle sensors and the ST1100's were defective in early years leading to a recall. Sensor would die and so would bike, often while on the road. So, like a sidestand or neutral lockout switch this is just one more electrical thing to check and many people don't realize their bike even has one.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70