Bike went into mini-hibernation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike went into mini-hibernation

fuwafuwa

This never happened to me before and didn't expect it to happen on a 6 yr-old bike. Wondering if anyone else here had the same issue before

Motorcycle was left in the underground parking spot for 2 weeks. 2012 CBR250 w/ 10000km.

1. Went to start the bike this morning, it fires up perfectly as usual, but when I begin to pull out of the parking spot, it stalled. After that I tried to start it again but the bike only cranks.
2. 4 hours later. Got the engine running in first ignition. However engine sounded weak. The bike idled at around 1500-2000rpm for 1 min, I throttled it in neutral to around 4000rpm, then it stalled again.
3. Immediately tried to start the bike again, this time I didn't let it idle and tried to ride it out like 1), as soon as I shifted to 1st and throttled it stalled.
4. Waited 30min and started the bike, it magically returned to normal state, rode it around the neighborhood for 10 min, just like nothing happened.

Normally I'd just assume I left it untouched for too long and hope this is only a one-off. However I am going on a long trip next week and I am concerned that it will stall on me in the middle of nowhere. How should I proceed on finding the root cause?

Thanks again everyone!

This never happened to me before and didn't expect it to happen on a 6 yr-old bike. Wondering if anyone else here had the same issue before

Motorcycle was left in the underground parking spot for 2 weeks. 2012 CBR250 w/ 10000km.

1. Went to start the bike this morning, it fires up perfectly as usual, but when I begin to pull out of the parking spot, it stalled. After that I tried to start it again but the bike only cranks.
2. 4 hours later. Got the engine running in first ignition. However engine sounded weak. The bike idled at around 1500-2000rpm for 1 min, I throttled it in neutral to around 4000rpm, then it stalled again.
3. Immediately tried to start the bike again, this time I didn't let it idle and tried to ride it out like 1), as soon as I shifted to 1st and throttled it stalled.
4. Waited 30min and started the bike, it magically returned to normal state, rode it around the neighborhood for 10 min, just like nothing happened.

Normally I'd just assume I left it untouched for too long and hope this is only a one-off. However I am going on a long trip next week and I am concerned that it will stall on me in the middle of nowhere. How should I proceed on finding the root cause?

Thanks again everyone!

Are you still on the OEM battery?

Odd. it's Fi, if it was carbed, I'd say you didn't let it warm up enough. maybe still needed to run a bit at idle to get the flow going again.

yep, I was thinking fuel restriction, fuel filter last changed when?

Fuel filter shouldn't normally require any maintenance. It's part of the fuel pump assembly, but the good news is that on that bike, the fuel filter is externally accessible and replaceable, and easily checked. I doubt if that's the issue.

Make sure the fuel tank is venting properly. If it happens again, remove the cap. If there is a big suction, you've got a fuel tank venting issue. Make sure the vent hose (attaches to bottom of tank near the back) is not kinked or otherwise plugged.

If you use fuel that contains ethanol, AND you accidentally got any water in the fuel, it CAN encourage the ethanol to separate over time. 2 weeks usually isn't enough but you never know. The action of the fuel pump will mix up the ethanol again. (Use Shell V-power 91 or Ultramar premium if you anticipate longer storage periods ... no ethanol.)

I had a water-in-fuel scare on one of my bikes because the drain from the fuel cap got blocked with debris, and I washed the bike without knowing this ... Same kind of thing ... Started and ran OK for a minute or so (fuel remaining in the fuel lines) then dropped a cylinder, then stalled, after a few cranking attempts and applying throttle it started running again, and it ran, although badly, for several minutes until eventually clearing up). You've only got one cylinder ...

Take the battery out, get it load tested would be my first action.

Take the battery out, get it load tested would be my first action.

+1 ^^^^^

Before doing that though, you could check the resting voltage of the battery with a multimeter and see if it’s even holding a charge.

Probably good that this happened now, and not on your first moto trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you for making this thread. I haven't ridden for a month. Hope the battery's not dead lol

... Is it different from the engine oil filter? If that's the case I have never changed it.
is so cheap and easy on your bike it is a good trouble-shoot.

fuel filters consist of treated paper fibre that allows free passage of the clean fuel but water and dirt can totally stay in there also water destroys the permeability of the paper to fuel flow :| turns it to mush Big issue on little diesel tractor engines, winter storage condensation is a huge issue so if the bike has always been in a warm dry then water would only get to the filter via fuel-ups which is unlikely, stored for as many seasons in a cold it will almost certainly have water in it. If that turns out not to be the problem shelf the old one as your spare after it dries out.
Fuel injected bikes and diesel engines never miss a beat until the fuel pressure fails for whatever reason and then they run like total crap.

6 year old battery - get it load tested just as a precaution. If its not done, it will be soon. CTC or any good shop can do it for you.

Thanks guys, will order a new battery and fuel filter

couldn't find any resource on how to change the fuel filter, anyone has experience on changing it on a CBR250?

Last edited:
Suggestion: Spend $10 on a multimeter (or more if you have budget). Battery could be ok... Put fresh gas in the tank. Use a flashlight to look in the tank - if it's clean, no rust or other debris, you probably don't need a new filter.

Suggestion: Spend $10 on a multimeter (or more if you have budget). Battery could be ok... Put fresh gas in the tank. Use a flashlight to look in the tank - if it's clean, no rust or other debris, you probably don't need a new filter.

sounds good, will do it when I get home.

Honda wants $60 for a fuel filter :O I thought it is around $10-15?

It's expensive because it has to withstand high pressure, my understanding is that your bike features an external fuel filter to simplify replacement , on the majority of bikes it would be located inside the fuel tank. Get a Honda oem service manual if you don't already have one, it will detail symptoms of failure, testing and replacement procedure.

Fuel filter shouldn't normally require any maintenance. It's part of the fuel pump assembly, but the good news is that on that bike, the fuel filter is externally accessible and replaceable, and easily checked. I doubt if that's the issue.

Make sure the fuel tank is venting properly. If it happens again, remove the cap. If there is a big suction, you've got a fuel tank venting issue. Make sure the vent hose (attaches to bottom of tank near the back) is not kinked or otherwise plugged.

If you use fuel that contains ethanol, AND you accidentally got any water in the fuel, it CAN encourage the ethanol to separate over time. 2 weeks usually isn't enough but you never know. The action of the fuel pump will mix up the ethanol again. (Use Shell V-power 91 or Ultramar premium if you anticipate longer storage periods ... no ethanol.)

I had a water-in-fuel scare on one of my bikes because the drain from the fuel cap got blocked with debris, and I washed the bike without knowing this ... Same kind of thing ... Started and ran OK for a minute or so (fuel remaining in the fuel lines) then dropped a cylinder, then stalled, after a few cranking attempts and applying throttle it started running again, and it ran, although badly, for several minutes until eventually clearing up). You've only got one cylinder ...

this^ I don't think you have a battery problem. It wouldn't continue cranking normally so many times. we just had a major rain event -and while you thought your bike was safely parked..your mom/gf/little brother was out tooling around on your bike and getting caught in the rain (just a theory). sounds like you got a little water in your fuel. changing the fuel filter couldn't hurt and its good maintenance to replace occasionally; but is not likely the problem and I wouldn't be concerned. as for the battery, if the engine is cranking normally I wouldn't be worried, but at 6 years maybe replace come spring? if it gives you peace of mind, change the battery; at 6 years it doesn't owe you anything. stitch in time saves nine, my newfy friends mom used to say. lol.

edit ..and when you do change your battery-please carefully note the + and - terminals and make sure the battery is positioned properly (not out 180 degrees) AND MAKE SURE NOT TO MUCK UP THE + and - connections. a poster not long ago just went thru such a muck up. ouch. red is + and - is black (or green)
best luck on your trip !

Last edited:
Pictures I looked at just now appear the fuel filter is plastic and it doesn't have banjo fittings, so it probably is not on the high pressure side of the pump, possibly on the intake. Assumption is that water and or stuff in the fuel could cause fuel pump starvation if that is the case. If you think yours is expensive you don't want to know how much mine costs.

Surely there is an aftermarket alternative? Anyone?
for what? to save some money on a 60$ part?
The fuel filter on my 4RT is only available along with the fuel pump, last time I priced one (pre honda selling the parts directly) the rubber gasket for the bottom of the fuel tank was 80$ and is recommended to be replaced every time, the fuel pump and filter assembly was in excess of 800$ If it was only 60$ I'd have a spare in my tool box. Fuel filters are consumable parts, you're going to need one sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom