Gymkhana options | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gymkhana options

sid_for_speed

Thinking about getting a grom or an older CBR 125 to start practicing in parking lots..Looking for options. Can a bike be trailered to a random site and be used for Practice? I don't want to have to get insurance for it as I do plan to drop it ( it happens...) and will not be putting in on the road. All the bike will ever see is an empty parking lot....

No.Unless of course it's your parking lot.

Bet you could get an event sanction, cover insurance and tarmac rental someplace at a reasonable rate, with about a dozen or so dedicated riders.

didn't know all the complexities involved...thank you all

now you know why we ride trials bikes.

Unless the parking lot is gated, you always run the risk of some ugly tickets from the police. Stunters have found space behind industrial complexes so they aren't visible from the street. Without the landlords permission, expect to get asked to leave.

you can do lots of things
if you'e asking if there is no risk
of hooligan riding on private property without permission
then no...eventually the cops will show up
prolly get charged with tresspassing
can't see how HTA would apply in any way

but that wouldn't stop them from towing the bike
and laying a bunch of tickets on you

if you question any of it
you'll get the standard LE reply
don't talk to me about the law
that's what courts are for
and I'll get paid overtime for it

Unless you have permission from the landlord to be there, you will most likely get asked to leave. Companies have security cameras and if someone is spotted around back of their buildings the security company is notified and dispatched to the location. A lot of times there isn't anyone in the building, its all monitored remotely. If you get spotted by a cop you can get all the same charges as being on the street. A sanctioned, closed course event is really your only LEGAL option. I know someone who is the manager for a large warehouse and has set up a gymkhana course behind the building and the employees and employees friends all meet on Sundays and have their own little races but it isn't open to just anyone. Also, they all are of the understanding that if they get hurt it's on them and they can't come after the business/manager if they do. Broken arm? "Suck it up and go to the ER but it didn't happen here" type of thing.

you can do lots of things
if you'e asking if there is no risk
of hooligan riding on private property without permission
then no...eventually the cops will show up
prolly get charged with tresspassing
can't see how HTA would apply in any way

but that wouldn't stop them from towing the bike
and laying a bunch of tickets on you

if you question any of it
you'll get the standard LE reply
don't talk to me about the law
that's what courts are for
and I'll get paid overtime for it

If you got HTA charges in a parking lot you should win in court as HTA doesn't apply. Unfortunately, dangerous driving (a criminal code violation) can be used in a parking lot and supported by the courts.

My recollection was that if you were doing stupid things behind a closed gate, the police wouldn't give out the DD ticket as you were in a closed area with a physical barrier separating you from people that might be hurt. I can't remember where this thought stemmed from.

Having an uninsured and unplated bike would complicate things.

That aside, find a lot that is empty and out of the way, when asked to leave, leave.
If going with a few people, limit the amount of people and make sure they don't have attention seeking bikes (loud pipes) and aren't A*holes to anyone that approaches.
Cops generally won't care unless you're doing something stupid or dangerous to yourself or others (ie. populated lot).

I had cops pull up twice in a year. Once, the cop just watched me for about 10 mins and left (GO parking lot). The other, he just asked what I was doing and I explained to him what moto gymkhana was (this was at an elementary school parking lot).

In the year of practice, I was only asked to leave the lot 1.5 times. Once by an employee that showed up randomly, the other .5 was "did you ask permission? - No... ... Okay, well if anyone asks, you don't know me and I didn't see anything".

I really only practice when I have spare time on the weekend, so there are plenty of empty lots out of sight.

Bet you could get an event sanction, cover insurance and tarmac rental someplace at a reasonable rate, with about a dozen or so dedicated riders.
If someone set this up, I'd be in :D

One of the guys from our group that moved to BC and setup a Gymkhana program with the riding school he works with recently. Maybe that's how we can start it started here?
https://www.pacificridingschool.com/?services=gymkhana-club

Last edited:
I searched this forum and turns out 3 years ago this topic was raised up...there's apprently 300+ members in a face book group but looks like no one's posted in a while...sure would have been nice to see something like this set up...kidna like riders pay a monthly fee for the rental lot and property damage insurance...personal insurance for the riders would be on them...

Back
Top Bottom