‘Buck-a-beer’ to be available in Ontario beginning Aug. 27 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

‘Buck-a-beer’ to be available in Ontario beginning Aug. 27

They keep interviewing small brewers (like waterloo, and in the National post a small toronto brewer) . Of course they aren't joining the race to the bottom on price, THEY CANT. they built a business model on quality product costs money, that whole "you get what you pay for thing". What idiot ( todays journalist) would think Labatt and Freds micro brew pay the same for cans and packaging and ingredients. One a national making thousands of gallons a day, the other making so much.

The original Lakeport idea, buck a beer, was modeled after Corona, which has one of the fastest brew cycles in the world. Its cheaper the faster it gets made. A major brewer might get there on price, but why would they when they sell all day at 1.40, ignoring the 1.25 price. Why give money away?

Doug's appeal to blue collar joe, look what I'm blowing up today!!!! will not make life better.

That said, I buy crap beer like lucky lager for having a cooler load on the dock, or mowing 60 acres of grass. Its not my having one while BBQing beer.

Perfect move by Ford (and I don’t drink the Labatt/Molson type of beer) as then he can say ‘look we allowed the companies to sell more affordable beer and they refused! I’m for the little guy but they don’t want to help you save money. Big bad beer brewers!’

From what I’ve read there isn’t a single beer being sold at the current $1.25 minimum.

So how will lowering the minimum to $1.00 have any effect at all? Let’s wait 6 months and see how many beers have gone down in price.... if any.

Perfect move by Ford (and I don’t drink the Labatt/Molson type of beer) as then he can say ‘look we allowed the companies to sell more affordable beer and they refused! I’m for the little guy but they don’t want to help you save money. Big bad beer brewers!’

Nah... I think most see through this.

From what I’ve read there isn’t a single beer being sold at the current $1.25 minimum.

So how will lowering the minimum to $1.00 have any effect at all? Let’s wait 6 months and see how many beers have gone down in price.... if any.

Also CAD$1.25 today is equal to CAD$1 in 2005. Buck-a-beer is an arbitrary price that probably won't effect change. It's just pandering to the lowest common denominator

None of this was about the dollars.It's being brought back because the liberals decided that the beer drinkers of Ontario needed to be protected from themselves.The horror!

None of this was about the dollars.It's being brought back because the liberals decided that the beer drinkers of Ontario needed to be protected from themselves.The horror!
I'm telling ya, that extra quarter... stopped me from doing many prank phone calls from payphones!

Are the "Rewards" not be perks that would usually be charged for?

In other words, giving away revenue that will have to be made up for elsewhere.
reducing prices on a high demand commodity that has a low manufacturing cost should increase revenue and profits. Beer doesn’t cost a lot more than Coke to manufacture.

Ford may have found a cheep revenue opportunity that makes people happier

reducing prices on a high demand commodity that has a low manufacturing cost should increase revenue and profits. Beer doesn’t cost a lot more than Coke to manufacture.

Ford may have found a cheep revenue opportunity that makes people happier

So much fail.

Again, the min price today is 1.25, no one sells, that anyone can find, for that price today (even the awful brands that were $1 back in the day). Lowering the minimum price today won't have an impact on its own, otherwise there would be $1.25 beer today (based on your theory). Negates everything you said...

What Ford is doing (or proposing) is using tax payers (Ontarian's) money to subsidize buck a beer. Right now breweries have to pay for premium space at the LCBO (which is owned by the taxpayers and theses premiums go into profits and the coffers) for free. A subsidy by another name. He has to subsidize, again because no one sells buck and quarter beer today. He also has to do it because it will be a HUGE embarrassment for him if no brewery does it.

Other places like QC are cheaper because of lower taxes, so I guess he could also give a fat tax break to the very profitable large brewers...

Remove the min price, totally fine with that, let the market decide. Promise Ontarians buck a beer and use subsidies to do it, that is wrong.

Corporate welfare anyone????

Last edited:
It might not be the biggest priority, buck a beer, at least he is demonstrating he can get things done. A little pandering is ok by me as he works for us, instead of contempt for voters and misdirection.

If he could get them to reduce beer prices at BMO Field...that would be quite an achievement !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he could get them to reduce beer prices at BMO Field...that would be quite an achievement !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES, ACC (scotia whatever) and Dome (rogers whatever) as well... Hell I would be happy with $10 a beer...

So much fail.

Again, the min price today is 1.25, no one sells, that anyone can find, for that price today (even the awful brands that were $1 back in the day). Lowering the minimum price today won't have an impact on its own, otherwise there would be $1.25 beer today (based on your theory). Negates everything you said...

What Ford is doing (or proposing) is using tax payers (Ontarian's) money to subsidize buck a beer. Right now breweries have to pay for premium space at the LCBO (which is owned by the taxpayers and theses premiums go into profits and the coffers) for free. A subsidy by another name. He has to subsidize, again because no one sells buck and quarter beer today. He also has to do it because it will be a HUGE embarrassment for him if no brewery does it.

Other places like QC are cheaper because of lower taxes, so I guess he could also give a fat tax break to the very profitable large brewers...

Remove the min price, totally fine with that, let the market decide. Promise Ontarians buck a beer and use subsidies to do it, that is wrong.

Corporate welfare anyone????
Im not up to typing an economics lesson right now, so how about this BMD... If any major brand provides 24 for $24 (not including deposits) before Christmas, you buy me a 6 pack of my choice. If not, I'll buy you a dozen of your choice.

I'm telling ya, that extra quarter... stopped me from doing many prank phone calls from payphones!

I remember when they went from a dime to a quarter, every kid has a dime, but a whole quarter? what the heck mom, that's why i never call!

Ironic that Ford made the announcement at Barley Days, a brewery that obviously won't be taking part in this.

Thanks Doug.

lW9Yi68.jpg

Im not up to typing an economics lesson right now, so how about this BMD... If any major brand provides 24 for $24 (not including deposits) before Christmas, you buy me a 6 pack of my choice. If not, I'll buy you a dozen of your choice.

My guess, it will NOT be a major brand. It will be some upstarts like BarleyDays brewery in prince edward county where Doug made his announcement. If they run it for 6 months and say "gosh it just cant happen, but we tried" they bleed out xxx thousands of dollars. However they expand the brand with shelf space at LCBO at NO cost to them, the media coverage will be both great when they launch and supportive when they bail. Getting mentioned on the news several times a day TV and radio, some newspaper coverage. There is real value here for someone on a growth curve. I'd spend the money if it was mine.

Back
Top Bottom