New to Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to Toronto

Hey guys,
I'm from South Africa and I'm fairly new to Canada. I've been riding hard enduro for many years and I'm planning on buying a bike pretty soon (in time for next summer at the latest), so I'm hoping to get some input on places to find used bikes. Kijiji is fine, but there aren't many enduro spec bikes there (90% SX bikes) and Auto trader just seems to have new bikes. Is there another classifieds listing for bikes that's worth using?

Also, apart from Ganaraska, where are some good technical trails to ride? I'm in Hamilton

Thanks in advance
Adam

Kijiji mostly. Enduro isn't as popular here. Half the people that show up at the forest don't even venture into the singletrack trails.
Good enduro bikes keep their value better so buying new might be the best option but decent deals show up in the Fall. My neighbour may sell his '17 TX300.

As fall gets close check the classified sections on the ODSC (ontario dual sport club) website, and SCORRA ( simcoe county off road riders). Well set up woods bikes are easy to find on there.
If you're into racing, check out Offroad Ontario. Great enduros and x country racing at all levels, full grids and great people.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

You're going to love Canada.

Hard enduro, tell me more :D

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I'm from South Africa and I'm fairly new to Canada. I've been riding hard enduro for many years and I'm planning on buying a bike pretty soon (in time for next summer at the latest), so I'm hoping to get some input on places to find used bikes. Kijiji is fine, but there aren't many enduro spec bikes there (90% SX bikes) and Auto trader just seems to have new bikes. Is there another classifieds listing for bikes that's worth using?

Also, apart from Ganaraska, where are some good technical trails to ride? I'm in Hamilton

Thanks in advance
Adam

Howzit? ;)

I've been watching some of the international hard enduro, never knew how popular it is in SA! Watched Wade Young win the Romaniacs the other week. Nice. There's some events out here that would be up your Alley - The Corduroy Enduro for sure. I'm a noob at all this, so others here will have some good advice.
cheers..

BTW - Lots of Saffa's out the west end in Oakville - There's Florence Meats out that way - if you miss your boerewors :)

Thanks for all the replies, guys

You're going to love Canada.

Hard enduro, tell me more :D

I've done a few club races in SA, around Johannesburg. Really in-your-face stuff. Rocks, rocks and more rocks with no letting up. I'll post another reply with some photos of the stuff we used to ride

As fall gets close check the classified sections on the ODSC (ontario dual sport club) website, and SCORRA ( simcoe county off road riders). Well set up woods bikes are easy to find on there.

Thanks for the info!

Kijiji mostly. Enduro isn't as popular here. Half the people that show up at the forest don't even venture into the singletrack trails.
Good enduro bikes keep their value better so buying new might be the best option but decent deals show up in the Fall. My neighbour may sell his '17 TX300.
Nice bike, but might be out of my price range. Yeah, I've noticed that enduro bikes keep their value, but damn they're in much better shape than the used ones in South Africa. Bikes have hard lives there. To put it in perspective, my 2011 KTM 300 wouldn't sell for much more than $3k here. Even a '15 300xcw would struggle to bring in $5k

Howzit? ;)

I've been watching some of the international hard enduro, never knew how popular it is in SA! Watched Wade Young win the Romaniacs the other week. Nice. There's some events out here that would be up your Alley - The Corduroy Enduro for sure. I'm a noob at all this, so others here will have some good advice.
cheers..

BTW - Lots of Saffa's out the west end in Oakville - There's Florence Meats out that way - if you miss your boerewors :)

HOWZIT! :eek: Yeah man, hard enduro is huge in SA. Wade Young is incredible. I used to go down to Lesotho to watch the Roof of Africa. Seen Young blasting through those trails like it was a highway. The boy's got talent.
hahah I've been to Florence Meats for boerewors. Nice to have a taste of home...

Thanks again for all the info, guys. Hopefully I'll be looking for riding mates on here soon

I've done a few club races in SA, around Johannesburg. Really in-your-face stuff. Rocks, rocks and more rocks with no letting up....

Come to my place, I have the second best terrain in Ontario, I'll even catch for you.

Wow.
Now I know what hard enduro is.
Man that must be tough on the bikes....and your back!

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

it is if you land on your back

Couldn't upload photos here, so I made two albums in google photos
Riding in South Africa: https://photos.app.goo.gl/8wY5aPzUyW5GRfkG9
Riding in Lesotho: https://photos.app.goo.gl/d8WYoxGPesb4H2fz9

Nice! Good use of a Banana too. :)

You'll find out here most available riding areas will be Forest Trails. For a noob like me I'm enjoying them and some challenges I am finding in there. Some of the events like the Rock Hound Ralley and Cordury Enduro will be closer to Hard Enduro.

Best extreme rock riding in Ontario is the Ottawa River at low water, no trees to get in the way, total traction because the high water river washes the rock clean, ideal is the Log & Lantern campground near Beachburgh but I don't think it's open to business this year & you need connections to get in there. Sudbury had some good riding areas that are more open and rock barren like your SA pics but same problem, most of the riding areas are on Inco mining property & you need connections to get in there. My place is ~400 acres of pure Canadian Shield in the Land O' Lakes region, exposed rock outcrops, thick with trees, couple of lakes, beaver swamps and plenty of elevation to work with. ;) you could ride portions of my trials sections and all you need is me to get in here. Hydro road up north of Ompah is another option, you can buy a daily trail permit at the local store and ride the hydro access roads without bother, is a good area but not great because the more severe terrain has never been cleared for riding.

Nice! Good use of a Banana too. :)

You'll find out here most available riding areas will be Forest Trails. For a noob like me I'm enjoying them and some challenges I am finding in there. Some of the events like the Rock Hound Ralley and Cordury Enduro will be closer to Hard Enduro.

Fur sure. Last year I went to Trail tours and rode Ganaraska. Actually going tomorrow. Can't frickin wait. Forest trails are fun - fast and flowy. Nothing wrong with that

Come to my place, I have the second best terrain in Ontario, I'll even catch for you.
Sounds good, man. I'll get in touch when I've got myself a bike. Probably only next summer now due to finances :(

Best extreme rock riding in Ontario is the Ottawa River at low water, no trees to get in the way, total traction because the high water river washes the rock clean, ideal is the Log & Lantern campground near Beachburgh but I don't think it's open to business this year & you need connections to get in there. Sudbury had some good riding areas that are more open and rock barren like your SA pics but same problem, most of the riding areas are on Inco mining property & you need connections to get in there. My place is ~400 acres of pure Canadian Shield in the Land O' Lakes region, exposed rock outcrops, thick with trees, couple of lakes, beaver swamps and plenty of elevation to work with. ;) you could ride portions of my trials sections and all you need is me to get in here. Hydro road up north of Ompah is another option, you can buy a daily trail permit at the local store and ride the hydro access roads without bother, is a good area but not great because the more severe terrain has never been cleared for riding.

Your place sounds awesome. Thanks for the offer. I'll definitely get in touch when I have a bike. Thanks for the other info too.

"the more severe terrain has never been cleared for riding" who needs paths?? hahahah We used to just pick a point at the top of a rocky hill and that was the target

Back
Top Bottom