Clip on adjustment question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Clip on adjustment question

Shwarider

My left clip on feels a very slight bit more forward then my right. Visually everything looks great. If I let go of the grips the bike runs straight. This is just a feel thing for me. I realize this could very well be my body posture or one arm longer then other. But is there any way to adjust the clip ons like a 1/8” or what’s the best way to measure to see if they are even?

The bike is a 2010 cbr600 I bought the bike from a good friend. I know it’s history very well. It was dropped back in 2011 at about 15 km speed. Would such a low speed be able to misalign you think?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The low speed oops could also have put a little twist in the adjustment of the triple trees and axle,
sure there must be a u-tube process to fix that too.

With the bike on a paddock stand, align the front and rear wheels using the "string method" (youtube it) or any other suitable method. Make sure your rear wheel is tracking straight relative to the front wheel (the marks on the swingarm aren't always dead-nuts accurate) and then turn the steering so that the front wheel is dead-nuts lined up with the rear.

Put a piece of masking tape in the middle of the rear bodywork and put a magic-marker dot in the exact center, then get out the tape measure.

Measure from the center of each fork to that dot. This will tell you whether the forks are out of alignment.

Measure from the center of the outer end of each handlebar to that dot. This will tell you whether the handlebars are out of alignment.

Adjust as necessary. Be aware that some stock handlebars are bolted to the bottom of the triple clamp, so that bottom bolt may have to be removed before releasing the clamp bolt will allow the bars to be moved. You can leave that bottom bolt out.

Turn the handlebars to the left stop and measure the clearance to the fuel tank or whatever else comes close. Do it again for the right stop. This will tell you if the steering stops are whacked. They aren't necessarily super accurate from the factory (it's generally non-critical) but they should be reasonably close. Make sure nothing hits that shouldn't. With one of my bikes, the limit on how much I can adjust the handlebars is that turning the bars to the limit causes the gas tank to press the horn button (left) or starter button (right).

I am guessing this is the two bolts that I use to adjust

f9fe036073d12110e478d4e70855fef2.png

DONE

I Loosened them up tap it with the wrench twice and it’s much better now

Just a note for anyone doing this. The Torque specs for this is 16 for the upper and 19 for the lower (pounds). I had mine set to 25 which was just an educated guess on my part then I decided to look up the actual spec. So If you ever do this now you got the tourque specs. Very gentle :)

Back
Top Bottom