My first moto trip | GTAMotorcycle.com

My first moto trip

fuwafuwa

Hello everyone,

Its my second season riding and I am planning a trip to the Catskill & Lake Placid. Wondering if anyone's been there that can give a newbie some guidance?

Toronto -> Catskills. Planning to go through Buffalo, any scenic routes you guys recommend?

On my way back I'd like to go through Quebec. Want to spend a night in Montreal, I want to stay in the downtown area but I am concerned about bike theft & parking issues. Any moto friendly hostel in the downtown area? Or you'd suggest I stay out of the downtown area entirely?

I have a 2012 CBR250R with 11000KM, What type of maintenance I should perform prior to the trip?

Thanks guys!!!

Well I certainly would not go through Buffalo ....Lewston maybe.
Taking the QEW to Fort Erie and then the Niagara Parkway to Niagara Falls and over the Lewiston Bridge is a nice ride,

The general thought is boogie 401 to Prince Edward County then wind through to Wolf Island Ferry. Then it's an okay ride to Lake Placid but if you are doing weekend, traffic is horrid both in New York and Quebec this time of year and loads of cops.

Place to stay book up quickly too...Saranac is better and cheaper perhaps.

Whiteface is a nice ride up ....get to some cooler weathe at cloudbase.

7.jpg

Can't help you with Montreal I avoid cities like the plague.

How long a trip?

Thanks Mac! I didn't factor in the traffic

It is going to be a short trip. 5 days - Fri to Tues. Day 1-3 Catskills, Day 4 ride in Placid then head up to Quebec. Day 5 ride home.

If I want to be in Catskills by 6pm, how early do you think I should leave home?

I too would go east instead of west out of the GTA - the suggestion for the Wolf island ferry is a great one, and the roads leading to and from are enjoyable. Going across Buffalo is going to take longer, you have to deal with the QEW which is rarely enjoyable on a MC. IMHO there's far more enjoyable roads to get down to the Catskills crossing in the Kingston/Ganonoque area vs Buffalo.

Montreal is cool, consider leaving back towards Ontario on the south shore (hwy 20) vs Highway 40 unless you're super comfortable riding in insane traffic - Montreal drivers are very aggressive and although they are arguably better quality drivers than the GTA, they tend to be very assertive (so they don't give a lot of courtesy to others, MC's included), and signals are optional, trust me. Highway 20 is the slower gentler way to get into and out of town and will take you right downtown where it sounds like you want to be anyways.

Make sure you have ALL your ducks (paperwork and equipment) in a row riding your MC in quebec, the police are very picky on MC's there.

As for Lake Placid, it's a beautiful area, you won't want to come home after a few days riding in the mountains. Lake Placid itself though, I found it a little bit kitchy myself, similar to Banff - a nice place to see, a nice place to ride through, but not somewhere I'd stay for particularly long. I enjoyed Lake George a lot more personally, a little more laid back and probably albeit still busy this time of year, less insane vs Lake Placid. Highway 9/28/etc in that area are some of the nicest riding I've ever done scenery wise. Heck, even the interstates are scenic by our standards, but you don't need to get far off the interstate to find great roads.

And yes, as MacDoc mentioned, Whiteface Mountain has to be on your to-do list. Just be sure to take a healthy dose of caution riding up and down especially since you're a new rider - the corners are not forgiving so follow the speed limit and take a lot of care, you'll understand why when you get there. On the way down be sure to use your gearing to maintain your speed on the very long decent - your brakes should only be needed on the sharper corners, and for emergencies..and use both evenly to spread the heat, not just your front or your back - your brakes overheat quick quickly if you rely solely on them coming down and bad things happen when brakes overheat. If you need to constantly ride them on the decent you're in too high of a gear, downshift and let the engine hold you back, not the brakes. Be safe, it's totally worth it though, the views are incredible.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZvEr2YwfgRM2

This would be a great day trip from Toronto to the Catskills area. Ride the slab all the way to the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge. From there, you can get all the way to the Catskills on nice 2-lane backroads with minimal traffic (once you get through Lockport).

The ride on 77 through the reserve is scenic, as is a nice smooth ride down along Canadaigua Lake.

The really, really fun stuff happens after you get off of route 17 in the town of Deposit, NY. From there until your final destination it's non-stop fun with very little traffic.

To get to the Catskills by 6pm I'd suggest leaving around 6-7am.

I don't have any qualms about crossing at Buffalo if it's in the right direction. Once over the line you can be on the super-slabs in a few blocks as long as you're OK with super-slabs. Don't confuse the NY state thruway with the 407. It's 1/10th the price per mile.

Personally I like crossing at Niagara Falls. Usually very light on traffic and no trucks can cross there. Most times I ride right up or have one car ahead of me, never had issue there.

I would take the Adirondacks over the Catskills personally. Catskills are nice, but it is pretty small. The Adirondacks on the other hand is HUGE and a ton of riding and exploring can be done. I like Old Forge, NY as a base to stay. Nice hotels if you want that and a fantastic camp ground with great facilities and really friendly staff. I am with MacDoc on the big cities, I would avoid, they are certainly not a place to go for riding.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I feel more confident for the ride down already.

Make sure you have ALL your ducks (paperwork and equipment) in a row riding your MC in quebec, the police are very picky on MC's there.

Hey PP, by paperwork I assume its insurance/ownership/driver's license, what about equipment?

If it hasn’t already been mentioned, make sure you have out-of-province/out-of-country health insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of maintenance I should perform prior to the trip?

How many km are you planning on doing (alternatively approx how many km per day do you plan on doing). That effects your maintenance starting point.

As a first cut, chain should be lubed and have lots of life left it in, tires should have lots of life in them, oil and filter recently done, no known issues with the bike that you haven't gotten around to fixing. Having to deal with maintenance while on a trip sucks. I would rather change the oil a bit early before leaving than try to fit an oil change into the trip.

Awesome advice Robbo, almost forgot

Would be a good idea not to have something too modded from stock. Especially plate display position.

Ohhh I feel like a dork now. My motorcycle is so stock that my Ram Mount is the most expensive mod hahahaha

How many km are you planning on doing (alternatively approx how many km per day do you plan on doing). That effects your maintenance starting point.

As a first cut, chain should be lubed and have lots of life left it in, tires should have lots of life in them, oil and filter recently done, no known issues with the bike that you haven't gotten around to fixing. Having to deal with maintenance while on a trip sucks. I would rather change the oil a bit early before leaving than try to fit an oil change into the trip.

I think the trip will come out to about 1800km, within 5 days.

I got new Michelin Pilot in June, last oil change about 1000km ago (do you think I should do another oil change before the trip?), I'm planning to change the air filter this week, will definitely lube the chain and carry a bottle with me on the trip.

I have a 2012 CBR250R with 11000KM, What type of maintenance I should perform prior to the trip?

I would make sure every nut is not loose, especially parts that move alot or have lot of vibrations, ie bar ends, gear shifter. take some zip lock bags to keep phone, wallet dry. I personally wouldn't change the oil consider you just changed it 1000km ago.
A quick and easy to stay warm/ warmer is place a few sheets of newspaper under your jacket to block the wind and when it get hot just throw them away. I do this when going up north for a day ride in the chilly early mornings. I miss my 2012 cbr250!

Extra caution needful at the border crossing and toll booths.

The toll booths will have slick oil spots from the cars stopping. Easy for your foot to slip and risk of tipping over.

The border crossing booths not only oil slicks but are also oddly graded (leans cars up to the left to let the border agent get a better view into the car). Good chance of the agent asking you to take your helmet off...

I think the trip will come out to about 1800km, within 5 days.

I got new Michelin Pilot in June, last oil change about 1000km ago (do you think I should do another oil change before the trip?), I'm planning to change the air filter this week, will definitely lube the chain and carry a bottle with me on the trip.

Montreal to TO is ~550 km, that means you are expect to average about 300 km/day on the other days? That seems really low to me, but I have ridden with people where 300 km was a long day so maybe it is correct for you.

I wouldn't worry about tires or oil given the state of them and expected length of your trip.

Montreal to TO is ~550 km, that means you are expect to average about 300 km/day on the other days? That seems really low to me, but I have ridden with people where 300 km was a long day so maybe it is correct for you.

I wouldn't worry about tires or oil given the state of them and expected length of your trip.
Distance is so arbitrary. I've had 200 mile days that hurt and 400 mile days where I could have gone done it over again. Road type, ride time, weather...all plays a factor.

Thanks guys, lots of great advice.

I feel like I can cover more miles if I have a bigger bike. The vibration kills my hands after 1-2 hours of riding. But sometime you gotta work with what you have right :)

BTW, bike theft in downtown Montreal won't be big problem with a 250. Just park in one of the U-ground lots (Guy St. north of St. Catherine) then go to hotel and romp on the town - Crescent St. area is the best, then on to St. Denis. Saturday night in Montreal is a blast. Take the Ville Marie Expressway off 20 to get downtown. Exit at Guy St. If you have time take Lakeshore Drive (Bord-du-Lac) out to St Anne-de-Bellevue on the way back. It's a nice ride.

Back
Top Bottom