Selling a Motorcycle 'As Is' without UVIP | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling a Motorcycle 'As Is' without UVIP

I wouldn't be buying a vehicle from you then. No way I'd be handing over cash without the keys and ownership. There's no threat to you if you go to the MTO and confirm a vehicle is sold. After that, doesn't matter what the new owner does or doesn't do.

You get the ownership to transfer it. You can have the keys and padlock the bike if you want. You can ride it away when you show me the completed transfer.

Would never happen with me. When I hand over cash, it's ALL mine at that point. Transfer is irrelevant. What if the buyer was sending it overseas, or anything else? If you are concerned, just go to the MTO and inform them. That's what I do.

Just for the record, you are supposed to, by law, provide the UVIP to the buyer of any used vehicle you are selling privately.

Not that this is a law that's enforced, so make sure the buyer knows they will be on the hook for the cost of it.

This is true. There is even a prescribed fine for it, but I've never heard of it being levied.

As much as I don't like it, there are little consequences for not providing the UVIP. When I buy something without a UVIP (rarely does it appear) I just modify the bill of sale to say that the seller warranties against any liens or brands on the title. They usually freak out about it but sign anyway lol

I'm paranoid when it comes to things that could bite me in the butt later. When I sell a vehicle I get the cash, the buyer transfers the ownership and then they get the keys after I see the new registration. Rushing legalities makes me nervous.

Most bikes on the road aren't worth what a lawyer's day in court would cost.
Crazy i would run from that deal once i pay the bike goes with me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Would never happen with me. When I hand over cash, it's ALL mine at that point. Transfer is irrelevant. What if the buyer was sending it overseas, or anything else? If you are concerned, just go to the MTO and inform them. That's what I do.

Maybe you don't have any other assets to protect. I do. I don't need a legal bill because someone decided to ride dirty for a day or two and my life is involved in fixing stupid.

What legal bill? If concerned, go to MTO office and inform them it's sold. Nothing to worry about with that and a bill of sale with the buyer's info. I've sold many vehicles. Crossed paths with one years later and they still had the bike and another became a riding buddy. The rest? Will check with MTO next time I sell one.

27 posts on this
now 28 I guess
question was answered and OP gone since post 6

although I guess that's mainly because of a stupid post/thought process
that can't be walked back out of stubbornness
insert eyeroll

What legal bill? If concerned, go to MTO office and inform them it's sold. Nothing to worry about with that and a bill of sale with the buyer's info. I've sold many vehicles. Crossed paths with one years later and they still had the bike and another became a riding buddy. The rest? Will check with MTO next time I sell one.
in order to inform the MTO about a sold bike, may I ask what all documents are needed? Would ID and VIN suffice or do they need a copy of BOS/UVIP as well?

Have to get my plates renewed soon. Was thinking of informing them about a bike I sold earlier this year when I go renew. Thanks

When I had the bunch of vehicles removed from mine (as per earlier reply) there was just a little single page form they filled out for me (I just had to sign it) that had the VIN and my info. Didn't need anything else, most of which was long...long gone, as in the case of the motorcycle I sold in the 90's, for example.

With just your DL# service Ontario can lookup any and all vehicles both registered to your name currently, as well as any that were registered to you in the past.

When I had the bunch of vehicles removed from mine (as per earlier reply) there was just a little single page form they filled out for me (I just had to sign it) that had the VIN and my info. Didn't need anything else, most of which was long...long gone, as in the case of the motorcycle I sold in the 90's, for example.

With just your DL# service Ontario can lookup any and all vehicles both registered to your name currently, as well as any that were registered to you in the past.
Sounds good. Thank you!

I just trust the bill of sale with date time. And I visit Service Ontario at the next convenient opportunity to return my plate and get the refund of the remaining validation-tag/sticker annual amount. It's this point where the sale is recorded in the system.

I check the purchasor's ID (DL) - to match the bill of sale. If they rode dirty and incurred some liability where I'm added to someone's claim, I'd expect my insurance company to handle any initial legal activity and no eventual resultant damages due to the valid bill of sale.

I just trust the bill of sale with date time. And I visit Service Ontario at the next convenient opportunity to return my plate and get the refund of the remaining validation-tag/sticker annual amount. It's this point where the sale is recorded in the system.

Just for the record, returning a plate does not automatically perform the removal of the vehicle from your name as being discussed...it just cancels the plate. You still need to specifically request that the related VIN number be removed from your name due to sale if the buyer hasn't already transferred it to their name.

And don't expect your insurance company to do squat for you in the case of buyer fraud. Once you sell it and remove it from your policy they wash their hands of all liability thereof.

Hey guys
Planing to sell my bike. Other than the UVIP. Do I need emission and safety for the bike? Bike is about 6 years old.if yes. Where in the GTA and how much does it costs.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Hey guys
Planing to sell my bike. Other than the UVIP. Do I need emission and safety for the bike? Bike is about 6 years old.if yes. Where in the GTA and how much does it costs.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
A UVIP ($20) from MTO.
A safety certification ($60-$100) from a motorcycle mechanic, or other authorized licensed mechanic with a motorcycle license, and they need the bike there with the ownership.
And then signing the ownership and keeping the plate portion.
The keys would also be preferable.
Everything after that is preference between the buyer and seller.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Don't need any of that crap. Sell it as is and let the buyer pay a safety.

The seller can do the safety if he/she wants. It’ll usually get the bike to command a higher price knowing they aren’t on the hook for any surprises. It is only valid for around a month though so make sure the bike sells inside that time or you must pay again.

But yes, selling it uncertified is totally an option, but don’t be surprised to get less money for it.

As for the UVIP, as I’m pretty sure was already mentioned earlier in this thread, it’s the law that the SELLER buys it and provides it to the buyer at the time of sale.

"As for the UVIP, as I’m pretty sure was already mentioned earlier in this thread, it’s the law that the SELLER buys it and provides it to the buyer at the time of sale."

Technically yes it is but nobody at the MTO seems to care as long as they get their $20. Personally, I expect the seller to provide it and let me see it before receiving ANY money. When selling, I buy it and show it to them voluntarily and I expect the same when buying.

Unlike a certification the UVIP doesn't expire.

Yep, MTO people don’t seem to care I agree, but the buyer will then need to pay for it at the time of ownership changeover.

And by the time any helpful info that the buyer may have discovered on the UVIP (a brand, problematic ownership history, or a lien), it’s a bit late to do anything about it.

That’s why buyers are supposed to be provided with it. And why, like yourself, I insist on seeing it before handing over any cash.

Again...the seller is legally supposed to provide the UVIP. The ministry people don't care who buys it as long as it's bought. It's between the buyer and seller. That said, buying, I always want a recent one before handing over cash. No older than a week or so. Selling, haven't provided one yet. Either the buyer went ahead and got their own before or they said they would get it when they transferred ownership.

Back
Top Bottom