Selling a Motorcycle 'As Is' without UVIP | GTAMotorcycle.com

Selling a Motorcycle 'As Is' without UVIP

EddyZing

Hello all,

Quick question about selling my bike. I found a buyer for my bike and the only thing I have right now is the ownership and a bill of sale that I drafted up using templates from the internet. I do not have the UVIP. I am selling the bike 'as is'. There is nothing wrong with the bike, and it runs well. I'm just not able to get it safetied because I am not physically able to ride the bike (which is why I'm selling it and selling it 'as is')

So the buyer says he has the cash and wants to pick it up tomorrow. (Monday Civic Holiday)

Is me signing the back of the ownership, taking a picture of his licence, taking off my licence plates and signing 2 copies of the bill of sale (1 for him, 1 for me) good enough?

I guess my worry is that I don't have time to buy the UVIP (closed today and tomorrow). Is that ok? Or should I tell him to wait until Tuesday when I buy one. He says that he does not care if I provide one or not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

if the buyer is okay with that, you're fine
do exactly what you said, buyer will have to get the UVIP

did you notify your insurance company? I think you are good to go just as long as you are confident in the bikes history.

Its all good, he can get the UVIP for $20 at the service ontario when he transfers the ownership. He'll have to get it safetied himself or transfer it as unfit

I've never bought a used bike or a car where the seller provided the UVIP. I always had to get it from the MTO when I went to register it.

Thank you all for the reassurance. I am confident with the bike's history and am in no way trying to scam anyone. There's no liens on the bike or anything. Long story short, cancer is in me and chemo is preventing me from riding, which is why the bike is going.

Another concern I have is that the buyer doesn't register the bike and just rides it either unplated or rides it with another plate. I know this sounds silly, but it's just a feeling I got when speaking to him.

Is there anything I need/should put in the bill of sale that says he has to register it within 6 days, or am I just being over paranoid?

I'm worried he does something illegal with the bike and then I get a knock on the door from the popos cuz the bike never got transferred to his name. I'm hoping his signature on the bill of sale will be enough to prove I sold the bike to him, should something like this arise.

Thank you all for the reassurance. I am confident with the bike's history and am in no way trying to scam anyone. There's no liens on the bike or anything. Long story short, cancer is in me and chemo is preventing me from riding, which is why the bike is going.

Another concern I have is that the buyer doesn't register the bike and just rides it either unplated or rides it with another plate. I know this sounds silly, but it's just a feeling I got when speaking to him.

Is there anything I need/should put in the bill of sale that says he has to register it within 6 days, or am I just being over paranoid?

I'm worried he does something illegal with the bike and then I get a knock on the door from the popos cuz the bike never got transferred to his name. I'm hoping his signature on the bill of sale will be enough to prove I sold the bike to him, should something like this arise.
I believe you can go to the MTO with the bill of sale and any other documentation to make sure they take the vehicle off of your record/ownership. Was discussed in a previous thread where people sold stuff and found out that the new owner never registered it like 10 years later.
As far as I am aware there should be no charge for this to notify you no longer have the vehicle in your posession.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Even if he didn't transfer the ownership if something were too happen down the line you can prove you no longer owned the bike with your copy of the bill of sale. That and a picture of his drivers license is plenty for you to not have any worries.

Like Mango rider mentioned you can go to the MTO at a later date to confirm it is out of your name but this is optional.

Just go to MTO when you have a chance and tell them you no longer own it. Take your paperwork, its painless. I haven't done it with a bike but have a couple of times with scrapped cars to make sure that nothing comes back to haunt me. Its just peace of mind.

Just go to MTO when you have a chance and tell them you no longer own it. Take your paperwork, its painless. I haven't done it with a bike but have a couple of times with scrapped cars to make sure that nothing comes back to haunt me. Its just peace of mind.

If you're returning the licence plate get it done at the same time. Get well, cancer sucks....

I've never bought a bike without the UVIP(once that started) and never sold one with it. Just a weird combo of circumstances. Have never informed the MTO that I sold the bikes either, but will confirm/do so the next time I sell one.

Best of luck with you battle with cancer.

I've never bought a bike without the UVIP(once that started) and never sold one with it. Just a weird combo of circumstances. Have never informed the MTO that I sold the bikes either, but will confirm/do so the next time I sell one.

Best of luck with you battle with cancer.

Same here. I received a UVIP on one out of the six bikes I have owned, never sold a bike with it.

Just for the record, you are supposed to, by law, provide the UVIP to the buyer of any used vehicle you are selling privately.

Not that this is a law that's enforced, so make sure the buyer knows they will be on the hook for the cost of it.

Personally I would never buy a new vehicle without it. A, I don't want to pay for it when it's supposed to be the seller providing it, and B...it provides valuable information that may be relevant to the car being worth the asking price, and of course, lien info.

I know you're not trying to pull a fast one on the buyer, but just stating the facts, and my reasoning for them.

As for making sure the vehicle is not left in your name, that was me that Mango was referencing above - found out last summer that I had a BUNCH of vehicles still in my name, some that I sold 25 years ago....including my first motorcycle (sold in 1996), a horse trailer (sold in 2016), a camper trailer (sold in 1998 or so) and one other thing I can't remember now. Needless to say I was surprised (taken aback, actually!) and I filled out the relevant forms and had them all removed from my name.

Get well, cancer sucks.

Last bike I sold I actually went to the MTO a few weeks later and informed them that I sold the bike. They said 'Yup, new guy in Oshawa registered it. you're good.' Took all of 2 minutes.

I'm paranoid when it comes to things that could bite me in the butt later. When I sell a vehicle I get the cash, the buyer transfers the ownership and then they get the keys after I see the new registration. Rushing legalities makes me nervous.

Most bikes on the road aren't worth what a lawyer's day in court would cost.

I wouldn't be buying a vehicle from you then. No way I'd be handing over cash without the keys and ownership. There's no threat to you if you go to the MTO and confirm a vehicle is sold. After that, doesn't matter what the new owner does or doesn't do.

I wouldn't be buying a vehicle from you then. No way I'd be handing over cash without the keys and ownership. There's no threat to you if you go to the MTO and confirm a vehicle is sold. After that, doesn't matter what the new owner does or doesn't do.

+1, this method is high risk for the buyer. The other way is low, mitigable risk for the seller

I'm paranoid when it comes to things that could bite me in the butt later. When I sell a vehicle I get the cash, the buyer transfers the ownership and then they get the keys after I see the new registration. Rushing legalities makes me nervous.

Most bikes on the road aren't worth what a lawyer's day in court would cost.

I'm surprised that you actually managed to sell anything. As mentioned above, you can just inform MTO that you no longer own the vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom