Chain Maintenance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Maintenance

40,000km on current chain , FZ09 that only really gets used for commuting, rain or shine. WD40 wipe down and then apply Wurth HHS2000, usually after a rainfall.

I think the bike “only” chain lubes/wax are crap tbh.

As you can see, there is very much two schools of thought on the matter.

Clean: whatever is used to lube the o-rings may form an abrasive goo that would shorten their lifespan. Cleaning would be done with a gentle brush and a non-penetrating o-ring safe solvent such as kerosene, followed by immediate re-lubrication.

Don't clean: Chain lubrication is basically a manual* total loss oiling system. Frequent lubrication would wash out any dirt/contaminants, and the o-rings do not get physically disturbed by brushing.

*Yes I know about the automatic oilers, that is a sub argument

I think the bike “only” chain lubes/wax are crap tbh.

I used to just go with them because meh whatever but lately it seems to be bike specific lubricants/fluids are getting crazy expensive

Used one two weeks ago on a gixxer six to change gearing for a different track. After one session the clip was gone.
Gone as in it just flew off?

Possibly not installed correctly, but one less thing to worry about with a rivet or screw type master.

Clean stuff is always nicer. The grunge that builds up has particles in it. Will it do real damage? maybe not, but why chance it and why not keep it keep it nice looking. That said, I clean my chain rarely, but do lube it every 2-3 fillups.

Back
Top Bottom