Chain Maintenance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain Maintenance

ay33

I'm wondering if it's time to clean my chain.
I've cleaned it 3000km ago, and lubed it about 600km ago.

I recently went on a day trip, and do to poor navigational planning, hit a few gravel roads.

Google produces various answers as to how often cleaning (specifically) is required.

TIA
555f01e9702932eceed87829912b288d.jpg
6ef29093721c2abdf48b7586595d53be.jpg
344b2c7efcb02051c2ecb2e71f2a1bbd.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if it's time to clean my chain.
I've cleaned it 3000km ago, and lubed it about 600km ago.

I recently went on a day trip, and do to poor navigational planning, hit a few gravel roads.

Google produces various answers as to how often cleaning (specifically) is required.

TIA
555f01e9702932eceed87829912b288d.jpg
6ef29093721c2abdf48b7586595d53be.jpg
344b2c7efcb02051c2ecb2e71f2a1bbd.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
I would lube it and move on. Clean it if you want. If it gives you peace of mind

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Cleaning it gets rid of the crud that's embedded into the existing "lube". It becomes a bit like sandpaper, so cleaning it off can't hurt. Lube it afterwards.

That's why I like a cir-clip master link, then you can just clean it and check it for binds, stretch and damaged links.

Cleaning is never required and may shorten your chain life. If you want to go ahead and do it. I just lube and carry on and chain life is never an issue.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Blech. I couldn't live with a chain that dirty.

Get yourself a Tirox 360 chain brush:

chain-brush-360-degree-803504.jpg

and a can of chain cleaner from your dealer and have at it. Follow up with a good chain lube or wax. It takes ten minutes and you can check for tight links and inspect the sprocket(s) too.

I "clean" mine about once every 10000km. Just spray the crap out of it with WD-40 and hold the chain with a rag while spinning the rear tire. Repeat until "clean". I lube every 1000km or after any wet conditions (washing, rain ride, left outside in the rain) with Lucas chain lube. First Honda OEM chain lasted like 11k, ATV non-Oring chain lasted about 4k, can't remember the last chain I put on the CBR but that lasted 20000km and was still fine, it was a good quality gold one from Fortnine, like $150 range. Currently have an SRX2 gold chain with almost 10000km on it on my Magna. Still looks like new, never been cleaned. Really depends on the lube I guess. I like the Lucas stuff

What makes the old chain still fine? Do you measure the length of it to determine how much it's bagged out, or inspect the rollers to see if the rubber seals still have some original grease behind them?

What makes the old chain still fine? Do you measure the length of it to determine how much it's bagged out, or inspect the rollers to see if the rubber seals still have some original grease behind them?
There were no blown-out o-rings, no corrosion or kinks, the screw-type master link was still good, and that bike had a adjustment sticker on the back that showed the range of new chain | | | | | | | | | replace chain. It was always in the range and with proper slack.

There were no blown-out o-rings, no corrosion or kinks, the screw-type master link was still good, and that bike had a adjustment sticker on the back that showed the range of new chain | | | | | | | | | replace chain. It was always in the range and with proper slack.
You're lucky, I've had very few bikes that have that ||||-> replace thingy marked on the swingarm. When your chain is done are the sprockets replaced too or do you get more then one chain replacement out of the sprockets?

Cir-clips fail on higher horsepower bikes.
So I guess it's a good thing none of my bikes turn more then 130HP or I would have experienced a chain failure by now.

recently undergone a change of thinking on the chain cleaning thing
had to put a chain on the FJ-09 at 30,000 km while away on a trip
had the bike since new ('15) and this seems way too soon for me

I had been fastiduous with cleaning/lubing/adjusting
only conclusion I can come up with is all the cleaning washed the internal grease out
and it went down hill fast, based on the graduations on the swing arm
chain had been pushed out about 30%
within 3,000 km back tire was all the way out and chain was facked
was fortunate to find a dealer willing to do a chain for me at 4PM on a Saturday

Lube at least every 1000km - closer to every 600km.
Change sprockets and chain as a set.
My chains usually last around 50k.
I don't clean them any more.

I personally wouldn't use a clip style master link on any size bike — but that's just me. To each his/her own.

Last edited:
Riveted master links are stronger over the long haul in my opinion; I particularly wouldn't feel safe with a clip master link on anything over 500 cc's. If there's 'crud' accumulated on the chain I would clean it off immediately — kerosene if very effective. And as far as regular cleaning potentially shorten the life of a chain, I was able to get 20,000 kms out of my last D.I.D chain cleaning and lubing it every 600 kms.

Last edited:
I keep hearing this, but I have never had one fail in the 45 years I have used them.
The theory is that a cir-clip master can't take a sideways hit and survive. Trials bikes invariably have a chain tensioner/guide to protect the chain from such an eventuality, have you ever seen the terrain we ride trials bikes through? add another 53 years never had one fail, I do have a spare in my tool box if you need it :| been there for decades, might be a little rusty by now.

Seen plenty with the cir-clip on backwards and one that had both side plates on the same side, just a cir-clip on the outside, amazing enough it didn't fail either but I did recommend they fix that asap. Knew a guy who had a 1/2 link on his bike chain from the time he bought it, rode around with it going click-click-click real loud for about 2 years. we had identical bikes and raced all the time so no way I was going to tell him :D

One riding friend puts the cir-clip on the inside, says he figures is better protected from sticks. Seen him bend a rear sprocket and still finish the trial, guess it must work.

service hint: When I get a new chain I hang it on the garage wall on a finishing nail and make a mark how long it hangs. Is a good reference for future use if you don't constantly keep a new spare on hand to compare with. Is way too complex to use the factory service manual measure.

Chain is suppose to wear no more then about 3 or 4 % by length or it starts to vibrate and kill sprockets.

... the guy who just rides it and replaces the maintenance free chain along with both sprockets :I can't really fault that, must be nice to have a ride sponsor.

Back
Top Bottom