Two wheeled thing with a motor | GTAMotorcycle.com

Two wheeled thing with a motor

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Coming out of a parking lot I just about clipped one of those bicycles with a clipped on gas motor. No contact, mutual WTF's and life goes on.

I am under the impression that those were illegal on the road or sidewalk.

Would it make a difference if the guy was pedaling and the motor shut off?

Could I legally coast my Goldwing down a hill on a sidewalk with the engine off, no plates, license or insurance?

During the 5 1/2 weeks that my wife was in 3 different hospitals (trauma and rehab) i lost count of the number of people that were in and out with injuries from e-bikes.Curbs seemed to be the biggest villains.

During the 5 1/2 weeks that my wife was in 3 different hospitals (trauma and rehab) i lost count of the number of people that were in and out with injuries from e-bikes.Curbs seemed to be the biggest villains.

So since those things don't have mandatory insurance I assume the costs get tacked onto OHIP, as if they don't have enough budget problems. If they're so safe and practical insuring them should be cheap, right?

So since those things don't have mandatory insurance I assume the costs get tacked onto OHIP, as if they don't have enough budget problems. If they're so safe and practical insuring them should be cheap, right?

Most of the cases i saw were broken limbs and concussions.I talked to a couple of the concussion cases.Helmets are too expensive for most of them.Two of them thought that $30 was too much,yikes! I saw 2 brain injury motorcycle cases that involved 20 somethings strapped to a lifetime wheelchair drinking all their meals thru a straw.That will be a lifetime of full 24/7 care.Those cases are a huge burden on the insurance system.You don't read about them because of confidentiality in the medical world.I learned about it because i had mc swag on while visiting my wife and the family of those with the bad injuries noticed me and brought up the 2 wheel subject.

Coming out of a parking lot I just about clipped one of those bicycles with a clipped on gas motor. No contact, mutual WTF's and life goes on. I am under the impression that those were illegal on the road or sidewalk. Would it make a difference if the guy was pedaling and the motor shut off?

Gasoline assisted, pedal powered vehicles are classified as mopeds under the Highway Traffic Act and must have a plate, insurance and the operator must have some kind of valid driver's licence and must wear a helmet.
Electric assist means its technically a bicycle but you must wear a helmet. No plate, operator's licence or plate required.
In both cases if you were to remove the bicycle pedals they are reclassified as motorcycles/scooters.
Not that it seems to matter much to the DUIs, but these machines must not be operated on sidewalks, bicycle paths and must adhere to the rules of the road.
The cops don't seem to care which sux (IMO), but waddya gonna do ?

Gasoline assisted, pedal powered vehicles are classified as mopeds under the Highway Traffic Act and must have a plate, insurance and the operator must have some kind of valid driver's licence and must wear a helmet.
Electric assist means its technically a bicycle but you must wear a helmet. No plate, operator's licence or plate required.
In both cases if you were to remove the bicycle pedals they are reclassified as motorcycles/scooters.
Not that it seems to matter much to the DUIs, but these machines must not be operated on sidewalks, bicycle paths and must adhere to the rules of the road.

A DUI usually means you are suspended from operating any motorized vehicle. That includes cars, motorcycles, powerboats and I suppose airplanes. Does it include mobility scooters? I mean, how are they going to get to the LCBO?

A DUI usually means you are suspended from operating any motorized vehicle. That includes cars, motorcycles, powerboats and I suppose airplanes. Does it include mobility scooters? I mean, how are they going to get to the LCBO?

Anything you need an operator's permit for (boats, ATVs, offroad MCs, etc.as well as licenced on-road vehicles) this rule applies to.
As for the loser DUIs on e-bikes and mobility scooters, I suppose a cop could ask them for I.D. and charge them with public drunkenness but once again good luck with that...

E bikes are prohibited as well wit a dui but again complete lack of enforcement.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Anything you need an operator's permit for (boats, ATVs, offroad MCs, etc.as well as licenced on-road vehicles) this rule applies to.
As for the loser DUIs on e-bikes and mobility scooters, I suppose a cop could ask them for I.D. and charge them with public drunkenness but once again good luck with that...

The way I understood it a DUI couldn't skipper a sailboat. DUI's, I thought, were limited to things powered by muscle. Not sure about riding a horse.

Should I ride my Trail Champ on the street now?

dmp1970_ad.jpg

If you are asking what qualifies as a moped, a moped is a bicycle with a motor attached, not a motorcycle with pedals attached, the first thing we should see is a peddle bike. I see a minibike, and I totally want to see somebody pedal their Goldwing.

I wish the cops would start enforcing laws on these thing if caught riding one while under suspension they can be charged with driving while under suspension. Ebikes are specifically prohibited while under suspension for dui.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A motor strapped to a bike frame , just became a gas moped. In Ontario it has to be insured and plated. We have a few buzzing our nieghborhood, unplated and I assume no insurance, but zero enforcement so it seems. They are mostly harmless.

The ebike crowd here is largely young people getting around, using bike paths, sidewalks, poor helmet choices. If they are getting to a job, ride on. There may be a few DUI commuters, but it they are going to work? let them get there and keep a job. There is likely no point in fining these people, there is likely zero chance of collecting.

If you are asking what qualifies as a moped, a moped is a bicycle with a motor attached, not a motorcycle with pedals attached, the first thing we should see is a peddle bike. I see a minibike, and I totally want to see somebody pedal their Goldwing.

Look up Honda PC50

Look up Honda PC50
I did, very nice, and it has pedals.

Remember the Yamaha that had the pedals stored under the saddle? They made it illegal before I could get one,
and then nobody even wanted them any more.

A motor strapped to a bike frame , just became a gas moped. In Ontario it has to be insured and plated. We have a few buzzing our nieghborhood, unplated and I assume no insurance, but zero enforcement so it seems. They are mostly harmless.

The ebike crowd here is largely young people getting around, using bike paths, sidewalks, poor helmet choices. If they are getting to a job, ride on. There may be a few DUI commuters, but it they are going to work? let them get there and keep a job. There is likely no point in fining these people, there is likely zero chance of collecting.
Any of these "converted bicycles" that I have seen have engines over the moped limit of 50 cc and do not have the brake and lighting equipment to allow them to be licensed as a moped. No brakes to speak of. Last year a rider of one of these death traps out our way in Acton was killed on one. Of course the local paper thought it was a motorcycle and reported it as such.
AFJ

I did, very nice, and it has pedals.

Remember the Yamaha that had the pedals stored under the saddle? They made it illegal before I could get one,
and then nobody even wanted them any more.

Yamaha FS-1, they were pricey and stayed bolted to the dealers floors.

E bikes are prohibited as well wit a dui but again complete lack of enforcement.

x2 on both of the above.

A total lack of enforcement is the main issue here however.

Back
Top Bottom