I'll just leave this here



Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: I'll just leave this here

  1. #1

    I'll just leave this here

    Forum Sponsor
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqbJ5mhZarg

    More lawsuits coming?

    Hope ya'll ready for super awkward conversations with your little ones
    And coaches worrying about tiptoeing on egg shells

    They'll run out of space for bathrooms.
    Last edited by bigpoppa; 08-03-2018 at 06:50 PM.

  2. #2

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    The place for that is in a legal school curriculum, not a hockey dressing room. Coaches teach hockey. It's a game. Sexuality is not. Yes, I expect more court cases on this, or perhaps a law barring it.

  3. #3
    crankcall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milton/Arizona
    Posts
    5,219

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    TapDancingChrist does this not get stupider?

    The majority of sports struggle to get coaching , let alone quality coaching. Lets make it REALLY hard for people that love sport to give back comfortably and rewarding on their own terms.

  4. #4
    JZ67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pickering
    Posts
    986

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    Guy at the 1:40 mark said it very well, leave it to the professionals to deal with not the volunteers. I also agreed with Harrison Browne's comment about hockey being a "safe space". Why can't sport just be a safe space for everyone - participants, coaches, spectators, et al. Why does it have to include sexual identity. When I played hockey, sexual preference of my teammates never occurred to me. It was about coming together as a unit to put forth the best we had that day.

    Today my teenage daughter plays competitive soccer and sexual preference of any of the players, parents, coaches, trainers, technical staff, referees, league coordinators or ice cream truck vendor never enter my thoughts.

    Steve Langford said it best. I put this here now assuming the thread is going to end up in Trash Talk. Mods, don't hang me...this is my safe space.


  5. #5

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    The very concept of safe spaces is ridiculous

    I want a safe space from reality, where can I get that?

  6. #6
    Moderator Wingboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Waterloo
    Posts
    4,348

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa View Post
    The very concept of safe spaces is ridiculous

    I want a safe space from reality, where can I get that?
    Queens Park.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

    2017 CRF250 Rally
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

  7. #7
    Riceburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Stuck in Reality
    Posts
    7,125

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Queens Park.
    +1111111

    I'd laugh if it wasn't true.

    So they don't want teachers(with training teaching and even practiced at it) teaching sex ed, but want volunteers with 2 45 min training sessions to do it instead?

    I have no major issue with the "new" except that maybe it started a bit too young. Doesn't/didn't affect me, so didn't pay too much attention to all the details.
    Last edited by Riceburner; 08-05-2018 at 03:56 PM.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Toronto, GL1500
    Posts
    6,143

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    +1111111

    I'd laugh if it wasn't true.

    So they don't teachers(with training teaching and even practiced at it) teaching sex ed, but want volunteers with 2 45 min training sessions to do it instead?

    I have no major issue with the "new" except that maybe it started a bit too young. Doesn't/didn't affect me, so didn't pay too much attention to all the details.
    I was talking to a lady at Timmies and she said it was weeks of training to make coffee and sling donuts. So 90 minutes to teach someone to coach a five year old about a very complex subject they have no interest in????

    Everything the newly trained coaches can do could be erased in the kid's home in a few seconds by a homophobic mom or dad. If you fix the adults their kids will be fine.

    If I was a coach I would bail out. If I was now trained and possibly considered an expert I would be held to a higher standard in the event of a lawsuit over a slur. Who needs the crap.

  9. #9
    crankcall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milton/Arizona
    Posts
    5,219

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    This may better fit another thread, but I think its part of our newer bigger problem.

    There is an unintentioned victim in the #metoo movement. Senior execs are no longer offering mentoring to female staff. This is huge since the door to the 'old boys club' is pretty much staffed by men. Some companies now have actual policy against one on one meetings of senior staff with opposite sex. Its created a new glass ceiling. Its called the reducing risk to zero policy and its real.

    I work primarily in an industry where f bombs are conversation, its better now but was pretty homophobic and I've heard a white rep from another firm talk about having "yellow fever' in regard to Asian women. A work mate in the room is married to a Malaysian. The rep from the other firm was fired.
    This is a hundred million dollar business, office environmment. Any wonder why blue collar worksites are sometimes off the rails?

  10. #10
    FullMotoJacket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Burlington
    Posts
    3,954

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    Quote Originally Posted by nobbie48 View Post
    Everything the newly trained coaches can do could be erased in the kid's home in a few seconds by a homophobic mom or dad.
    More like any coach's reputation can be erased by a kid's parents in a few seconds. It's a wonder anyone bothers to coach any more in the present climate.
    "Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a big enough boat that you can sail right up next to it" - David Lee Roth

  11. #11
    Riceburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Stuck in Reality
    Posts
    7,125

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    I've got no issue with the term "yellow fever", but then again I'm a banana.

  12. #12
    Mango Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    918

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    Quote Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
    I've got no issue with the term "yellow fever", but then again I'm a banana.
    Is your spoon too big?

    Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
    Nothing says Learning like road rash and lost dignity!

  13. #13
    Riceburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Stuck in Reality
    Posts
    7,125

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    Silly hats only!!!!!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Toronto, GL1500
    Posts
    6,143

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    Quote Originally Posted by crankcall View Post
    This may better fit another thread, but I think its part of our newer bigger problem.

    There is an unintentioned victim in the #metoo movement. Senior execs are no longer offering mentoring to female staff. This is huge since the door to the 'old boys club' is pretty much staffed by men. Some companies now have actual policy against one on one meetings of senior staff with opposite sex. Its created a new glass ceiling. Its called the reducing risk to zero policy and its real.

    I work primarily in an industry where f bombs are conversation, its better now but was pretty homophobic and I've heard a white rep from another firm talk about having "yellow fever' in regard to Asian women. A work mate in the room is married to a Malaysian. The rep from the other firm was fired.
    This is a hundred million dollar business, office environmment. Any wonder why blue collar worksites are sometimes off the rails?
    Do Big Brother programs still exist?

    A similar situation with boy scouts, girl guides, foster parents, etc.

    Some parents don't help. I know one mom who tells her kids to give me and just about everyone a hug. I don't mind getting a hug from a kid but only if it's their call.

    At least give them the option of a high five instead.

  15. #15
    crankcall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Milton/Arizona
    Posts
    5,219

    Re: I'll just leave this here

    I dont know if girl guides has the same issues as boy scouts (where about 2/3rds of youth registration money goes to cover insurance) since lots of bad men like boys in little uniforms.
    Burlington sailing club had a "coach" , loved by the parents for his level of commitment, till they found out he also loved little boys....

    When I was a scout leader (my son was in the group) we had many manditory courses on 'safety' sensitivity' and how to notice abuse, and legal obligations to report if suspected.

    It no wonder so many groups , organizations and clubs struggle to get coaches and leadership, I'm sure never having a sex ed convo with any kids that aren't mine thanks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •