Rain gear - what do you really need? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rain gear - what do you really need?

sburns

So I did a trip around lake superior this week. The weather was near perfect, except for an afternoon near Green bay heading towards Mackinaw City I hit a nasty thunder storm. I had to pull over as I could not see. Waited and continued. I didn't have rain gear on as it was sunny where I left, and hit the storm on the way. No time to put it on either. But shortly after this stop it was sunny again, and I dried off. But then hit some more rain, only light this time. I just switched jackets (textile to leather for warmth) and didn't bother with rain gear and I was ok.

I had purchased a rain suit from Canadian Tire to have something. A wetworks jacket and pants. I also had a poncho as well. But as explained I really didn't need either. I can see if your day starts out with rain it would be useful and you have to get going.

I most likely will return the wetworks gear, but should I be looking at something else or keep it?
I guess the idea for rain gear is to go over your regular gear?

GTMA weigh in!

For day tripping it might not be a big deal. But if on tour or multiple days, you don't want to get wet and stay that way for long. Just isn't comfortable and may be unhealthy. I've gone thru many suits. First one lasted decades, the latter ones from a few months to days. Get a half decent one.

I have a gor-tex shell jacket and (over) pants. The gor-tex keeps the rain and wind out while letting your body breath. since it's only a shell you can folded it tightly into a back pack no problem. Just make you can wear them over your regular gear quickly and comfortably. It would be ideal if you could get rain pants you can put on with your shoes on. Sorry can't give you the brand name since it was part of my uniform when I worked outside. But I think gore-tex is the way to go. Motorcycle specific gear are expensive ie KLIM, maybe try an outdoor sporting store ie. SAIL for some goretex. later

I had some oversized clearance gortex stuff from MEC that lasted over a decade.

I'm now using an Olympia rain jacket that came with my motorcycle jacket as a liner, and can go under or over it, and a pair of rain pants from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:
I have a set that I bought at Costco a few years ago. I look like a construction worker when I’m wearing it, when I’m riding in the rain on a motorcycle I care nothing about what I look like, and everything about being seen - and it certainly accomplish is that...and at only $50 for the set (pants and jacket) it was unbeatable.

I agree that what you need depends on the type of riding you’re doing – somebody who is just doing day trips to and from a Tim Hortons an hour or two away isn’t going to need the same level of gear as somebody who is spending days or weeks on the road. If you get wet on a day trip, intimately you’re home at the end of the day anyways to get changed. Get drenched on a multi day trip (with potentially hundreds or thousands of kilometres ahead of you before stopping) and it’s a whole different ball of waX. You’re now not only miserable and uncomfortable, you also have a full set of soggy wet clothing to deal with at the end of the day, and possibly need to pack for the remainder of your trip.

The gear that I have works spectacularly well. I added a set of pull on booties last year as well which will keep your feet perfectly dry – the first time you ride for six or eight hours in a driving rain, take it from experience, “waterproof” boots aren’t always waterproof after having been blasted by 120kph rain hitting them, as well as passing cars, trucks, etc.

Last summer a buddy and I rode a 1000+km day (as part of a multi day trip) in which it rained about 80% of it, and it was torrential at times. I arrived perfectly dry at the end of the day. Except for my boots, that was. See above. ;)

And although I typically wear a beanie for a lot of riding, for multi-day trips I do bring my full face as it is hands-down more enjoyable for riding in sloppy conditions

I have a gore-tex liner for my jacket, Olympia rain paints and my boots are waterproof. I keep a few pairs of nirtrile gloves in the topcase because I don't have waterproof gloves.

I use a textile- mostly mesh Scorpion armoured jacket that has a breathable waterproof liner
use the liner on wet or cold days

riding pants are Tourmaster textile waterproof with armour
same thing, wet or cold days, and sometimes long days

boots haven't completely settled yet
still using my old Doc Martins that I just can't seem to give up on
blast them with dubbin regularly and they are semi-water proofed

for very nasty days when I have to get some miles on
I have a Helly Hanson Hi Vis rain jacket that goes over everything
don't use it very often

and yes, 3 pairs of gloves, wet, cold and hot

Hmm see the set of rain gear I bought from CT is something like a construction worker type, which PP mentions, it is also bright yellow which is appealing. And it was very reasonable priced.

I rather have something then nothing. I still have my $10 poncho which has worked well for other duties, and is very compact and will fit over everything and no seams to worry about.

Will look at what you all mentioned.

Hmm see the set of rain gear I bought from CT is something like a construction worker type, which PP mentions, it is also bright yellow which is appealing. And it was very reasonable priced.

I rather have something then nothing. I still have my $10 poncho which has worked well for other duties, and is very compact and will fit over everything and no seams to worry about.

Will look at what you all mentioned.

The Electra Glide has a lot more weather protection that most bikes which helps. I used to carry rain jacket and pants to throw on when it rained on a trip. If I am heading home I would not bother as I am just going home, but when on the road for days on end it is nice to be comfortable and dry, especially if camping.

Personally I am a huge fan of gor-tex. I have a Klim gor-tex jacket that I wear in all weather. Completely water proof and no need to stop to toss something on over it. Breathes well as well and has amazing vents. I still keep a pair or rain pants I toss over my jeans. They pack small and go on easy.

Think about some dirt bike gloves, crap for protection but I've never found a decent set of waterproof gloves that weren't too bulky.

Frog trogs for the pants, i use a rev-it rain liner over the jacket and a pair of forma low cut adventure boots.

I got tired of cheap rain suits . Bit the bullet bought the Klim rainwear . Lifetime warranty can't be beat . Many changes from last year's model . I can see more improvements coming next model year .

If you're touring, rain gear is a must. Weather is unpredictable, the last thing you want is rain ruining your trip. Took a six day trip out to Colorado and back last year. The two days I was in Colorado, it rained on and off, all day, every day. I stayed dry and was able to enjoy the trip.

Used to have a set of Frog Toggs which worked for about three years before they disintegrated. Cost about $100, which isn't a bad deal at $30/year. After that bit the bullet and bought a goretex riding suit, goretex boots, and more recently goretex gloves.

I would say a good 50% of my touring days have at least some rain. It is an amazing feeling being able to ride dead on into a storm, not having to pull over, and coming out the other side dry. Even better when you're doing a 1000km day and it rains the whole day, non stop.

This is the set I have from Costco - the yellow set on the right. $75 now I see (still seems like a great deal) although we must have bought them on a promo/sale..but whatever.

imageService

https://www.costco.ca/Holmes-High-Visibility-Rain-Suit.product.100395284.html

Fits great even over my jacket and such, and have proven completely waterproof, even the seams - no wet crotch, no wet ***, etc.

Like I said, I look like a construction worker...but I don't care. Happy to be seen when in the rain, don't care what I look like.

#1 on the Costco rain suit. I bought mine 5 years ago (orange one). Best rainsuit I have ever had. Tough, durable construction, absolutely impermeable to rain when worn properly. Put on some pull-over rain boots, waterproof gloves and a FF helmet with RainX then you're good - even if it rains all day. Makes riding in the rain fun.

make sure you can fit whatever you buy over your gear while wearing boots. when you hit rain while touring you wanna be able to get that gear on as fast as possible, doing a long day on the bike while wet sucks.

Riding in tropical Australia I ended up getting as wet inside from sweat as I would from the rain and just chose to wear quick drying gear. Get wet dry off.

To a point that still works for Canada......Looping Superior last year I got drenched a couple of times and again just rode until dry.

Now I did have a Scott Goretex 3 season jacket on and First Gear waterprof gloves.

But Airglide pants dried quick enough.

Especially when it's off again on again rain it's annoying to switch.

Cold wet and dreary ....yeah rain gear is good but I often find I'm still wet in spots

I'm good with my one piece rain suit but you need one of these:
s-l300.jpg
finger windshield wiper thingy.

For dirt bikes you don't need anything, you just get wet.

I ride open face half helmet. that finger thing no worky

Sent from the Moon!

I ride open face half helmet. that finger thing no worky

Sent from the Moon!

Ride in the rain enough and you'll want a full face. Although your bike, at least when you're moving, might keep the worst of the rain off your face, assuming your windshield is high enough. My bike, not so much....and big rain drops at 120KPH feels like hail to the face.

Back
Top Bottom