Need new computer... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need new computer...

perferd

So for the last like 15 years I've had an apple desktop computer iMac or what not but I think we are due for a new one. Do I just stick with a new iMac for like 1500-2000 or get something diff? I wouldn't even know where to start if I went diff. With the apple it was you either want a laptop or desktop and here are you 2 choices lol.

We just surf store photos and vids and due some random stuff for a small bizz.

Thx

Some will trash Apple simply because they're more expensive...but look back on what you just posted - your current Mac has lasted a dogs age.

Say what people will about Apple products, but the quality is there and they tend to be a lot less maintenance and lower risk than a Windows system. And they last.

You could consider buying something used as well, or look on the Apple Canada website at their refurbished section - they often have great deals and they carry factory warranty and are eligible for extended warranties as well if you want a little extra peace of mind.

Ultimately if you're just using it for very light duty stuff you don't need a brand new $2000+ machine, even a 3-4 year old Mac will do what you want and it'll be much more affordable.

Oh I dont care much about the brand wars stuff lol. I originally bought the apple cause it was an all in one deal small easy and what not.

Thx for the heads up on used ones I never even thought of that...

PC's are good for around 3 years tops
why anyone would spend 2K is beyond me

but if you're committed to to OSX
you have no choice

learn to live with Win 10
can get a new desktop box for $400
I'm typing on one now
new HP Win 10 machine from Staples

I'm not committed to anything it's just all I have had or known for 15 or more years. I couldn't care less who makes it as long as it lasts and does what I need. I dont really want to spend 2k or even close really lol

Oh I dont care much about the brand wars stuff lol. I originally bought the apple cause it was an all in one deal small easy and what not.

A good opinion to have. It's not that I'm particularly an Apple fanboy or anything like that, but I do recognize and appreciate that quality costs more regardless of what brand you buy.

On the Apple front, People compare a $2000 Mac laptop to the $299 ones in Walmart, but it's apples and oranges. I have an original Core Duo Mac laptop that is now 12 years old and it still works - I was actually using it as a webserver up until 6 months ago so it ran 24/7/365. You would be hard pressed to find many laptops that last this long, so again, quality matters.

can get a new desktop box for $400

$400 every 2,3, maybe 4 years, plus the hassle of rebuilding/restoring/restarting your system every-time makes an argument for buying a higher quality machine to begin with, be it PC or Mac.

And any system you're buying for $400 is going to be pretty dismal from a stats perspective which means it's going to be obsolete from a functionality standpoint much quicker than a more expensive machine with better stats and hardware.

When it comes to computers the old adage of "You get what you pay for" does still hold true.

Paging Macdoc.
For what you describe, you could get a great used, but in excellent condition Mac for under $1k.
Off lease PC's I've also had good luck with and typically spend around $250 for a very good laptop that is about 2-3 years old.

Paging Macdoc.
For what you describe, you could get a great used, but in excellent condition Mac for under $1k.

I concur, and it'll probably last you 6-8 years (perhaps more) depending on what you're using it for.

Out of curiosity what's wrong with the existing machine, and exactly how old is it? A model number can be helpful. I only ask because sometimes a few hardware upgrades (max out the memory and migrate to an SSD from a spinner HD) can breathe new life into any old computer.

It's hard to go really wrong as long as you avoid the bargain basement laptops. Currently I am running an A10-6700 Best buy clearance from 2 years ago, a Ryzen 1700 build from last fall, a T450s, surface, and 2015 (IIRC) MBP. Honestly, for day to day use, all of the real computers are acceptable (I don't like using the surface as a computer unless I have to). For specific tasks, certain systems pull ahead (the Ryzen build was created to cut the time required to run models by a factor of 4). The MBP MSRP was ridiculous as it had all the boxes checked and Apple upgrade prices are crazy. It is by a mile the worst value of the bunch (admittedly a base MBP is a much better value but now that everything is soldered on, buying the base and upgrading later doesn't work).

Personally, I find buying an acceptable computer with lots of ram (8 gigs min, preferably 12+) and spending money saved on useful peripherals (4k monitor etc), makes for a much more enjoyable experience. The Ryzen system replaced a Lenovo desktop from ~2007 that was noticeably slower but still entirely functional.

For a general use desktop, I would look seriously at a Ryzen with integrated graphics. They will never match the performance of a quality graphics card, but reviews are pretty positive for performance vs cost. The A10 will likely get replaced with either this or a threadripper depending on how much modelling needs to be done (probably close to an order of magnitude cost increase there though).

Last edited:
$400 every 2,3, maybe 4 years, plus the hassle of rebuilding/restoring/restarting your system every-time makes an argument for buying a higher quality machine to begin with, be it PC or Mac.

And any system you're buying for $400 is going to be pretty dismal from a stats perspective which means it's going to be obsolete from a functionality standpoint much quicker than a more expensive machine with better stats and hardware.

When it comes to computers the old adage of "You get what you pay for" does still hold true.

meh....2.2 ghz chip
8 gigs RAM
1 TB mech HDD
Radeon R5 graphics
decent MOBO
gigabit ethernet
dual band wifi
bluethooth
HDMI out
on board sound is decent

toss it in 3 years I'm fine with that
but I do run a NAS that cost me much more
so I lose nothing when this box goes

for a client, this box is fine
but it ain't white colored jewelery

If you go PC and decide to build your own: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

I would be surprised if he goes all the way from iMac to build your own from scratch. That being said, I did find that website very helpful while putting together the last system (especially as a running summary with all of my current choices selected, sometimes a decision down the line requires revision of some parts you thought you already had locked down).

My Macbook is 4.5 years, still runs perfectly, original battery still holds 87% charge of new and lasts about four hours. My sister is using my previous Macbook, which is I think from 2009, runs great, battery is dead on that one though. Neither has ever given me a single issue.

Well, unless you count the time the current one slipped off my lap and cracked the screen, the nice folk at Apple were kind enough to replace it under my warranty. Screen shattered on the old one too, Apple replaced it under warranty as well.

There are numerous reasons why I happily give Apple around $2k every 4-5 years, the above is one of them.

If you don't see the appeal in Apple computers. Great, spend $500 every three years and you're going to be way ahead in the long term. There is merit to them though.

There is one thing that pc's have going for them that Macs don’t and that’s touchscreen ability. Yes there’s the iPad Pro but it’s still a glorified mobile OS on it. As for touchscreen and digital pen then signing forms is a breeze, if it’s a laptop then taking handwritten notes is pretty cool especially when you can convert that to typed text. Drawing diagrams and annotating webpages and photos is also straightforward. For me I use these things all the time so I wouldn’t consider another type of computer and it is actually the only reason I haven’t bought a Mac. I get a hardware allowance every year and can more or less buy whatever I want.

seems no one bothered to read what OP does with his puter

he does not need to spend 2K, unless he is unable to use Windows

seems no one bothered to read what OP does with his puter

he does not need to spend 2K, unless he is unable to use Windows

I can't say I use my computer for much more than the OP. The hardest stuff I do is load a Windows VM to do work stuff a few days a week. The rest is the usual internet nonsense.

Don't see myself buying a Windows puter any time soon. Not just because Windows, though that is a strong factor.

I can't say I use my computer for much more than the OP. The hardest stuff I do is load a Windows VM to do work stuff a few days a week. The rest is the usual internet nonsense.

Don't see myself buying a Windows puter any time soon. Not just because Windows, though that is a strong factor.

will try to avoid pointing out the the irony in that statement :)
but I guess I failed

cheers!

will try to avoid pointing out the the irony in that statement :)
but I guess I failed

cheers!

Unfortunately, work runs on a specialized industry software that is Windows only. That is pretty rare these days.

Unfortunately, work runs on a specialized industry software that is Windows only. That is pretty rare these days.

I have a ton of stuff that is windows only (that is one of the primary reasons for the surface). Hell, I am still running some software that requires DOS. Every generation of windows makes that more awkward to run. After Apple killed Aperture, I no longer have any software that is Apple specific and likely won't buy another mac. A decade ago, they were so much better to use than windows laptops but from my experience, that lead has completely collapsed (and quite possible has reversed).

I dislike Apple cause it's almost all proprietary. I've run PCs almost exclusively, but have a few Apple products on the side. My PCs last way more than 10 years...except for those that don't have the hardware capability to keep up with Windows 10. I can dig into my PCs and upgrade or replace as necessary. I've even swapped and re-soldered motherboard components. A referb is a good choice to get the most value.

Back
Top Bottom