new bikes ....extended warranty ... worth it??? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

new bikes ....extended warranty ... worth it???

I bought the 5 year extended warranty with my Honda NC750X last year. I’m a worrier, so for me the peace of mind is worth it. The Honda extended warranty also includes roadside assistance, like towing and gas delivery, and trip interruption costs like hotels, as well as trip planning. Like others have said, it should also increase the resale value.

Thanks for that ...I'm intending on keeping the bike for 5 years so resale not so big a deal but if it replaces CAA Premium then maybe worth a consideration.

Thanks for that ...I'm intending on keeping the bike for 5 years so resale not so big a deal but if it replaces CAA Premium then maybe worth a consideration.
Definitely read the fine print re: towing. Many only tow you to the closest dealership. I would rather get towed home than have the bike at a dealership 200 km from home.

Read the fine print on the warranty:

Is there a deductible? How much?
Does the warranty cover parts *AND* labour?
What is the geographical coverage of the warranty? Canada only or North America?

How much mileage are you going to ride? Be realistic. If it's less than 10,000 kms / year, then don't get the extended warranty.

I'd also take into consideration the cost of bike-specific cost of parts and labour. BMW parts and labour are going to be very different than Suzuki. Also weigh the cost of known issues. For certain model years, R1200GS final drive replacement is pretty much a given. Same as stator coil for the F650GS/F800GS. Each will set you back ~$1500. If at the end of your factory warranty these haven't broken yet and the extended warranty is $1000, then it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Back
Top Bottom