new bikes ....extended warranty ... worth it??? | GTAMotorcycle.com

new bikes ....extended warranty ... worth it???

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Down to final bits on the CB500X...turns out I'm getting a 2018 ...there were out of 17s ( identical ) $500 more ....not a biggie.

But wondering about the extended factory warranties. Has anyone sprung for those???
Restrictions etc ???

How long are you planning on keeping it?

What is your peace of mind worth?

How much extra is it?

Do you have enough money left after purchasing it?

How well is it supported by the seller/manufacturer?
Will they still be around when it ends?

Every risk vs reward question works out differently for different people.
Is it worth it for you?

Identical to the 17 but $500 more? Did they sell you a 17 and now don't have one?? Then that is their problem. Or pay the extra $500 and have them apply that towards the extended warranty.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Overall not worth it. Small chance of actually having to use it. Quality now a days, chance is low. But if you are the one, then worth it. I don't buy em.

not with a Japanese bike
is this for the CB500X?
I wouldn't for a mature Honda model

I got one on mine. Mine is more for the future sale ease. Selling a bike with a year warranty on it is a lot more attractive than without, especially if you can get a deal on the warranty. I’ll get 3 more years of peaceful riding until then. Haggle like crazy as warranties are one of the money spinner items. I believe for an OEM warranty you can also go to other dealers and purchase one but check. Ie, a Honda dealer in Nunavut might be able to sell you the same warranty at a much reduced price. Also check the items carefully, mine does not cover internal suspension components but does cover the electronic control modules for instance.

Edit: The more electronics there are on the bike the more worth it the warranty would be depending on what you buy it at. Like I say, haggle like crazy and also realize that you have up until the OEM initial warranty runs out to purchase an extended one. I bought my extended warranty the day before the initial one ran out and I still haggled and got a deal.

Last edited:
Given the amount you ride, I wouldn't bother. You will get enough seat time that anything that is going to fail should fail in the factory warranty. After that period, very little fails until late in the life of a vehicle.

I have only bought extended warranties to guard against known catastrophic failures that can happen at any time (eg. VW HPFP failure with associated $10K repair).

Also, is it a true factory extended warranty or a dealer 3rd party one. 3rd party ones are more restrictive....worth even less.

Factory warranty on a model with known issues/expensive repairs..maybe.

3rd party warranty, not a chance.

I agree with the above but if you get an extra $500+ on the sale of a bike with a warranty attached and paid $1k for a 3or 4 year extended warranty then it’s not too bad for a little extra peace of mind. That’s how I rationalized mine.

If I was shopping for a bike and saw two the same but one had a warranty on it, I’d choose that one even if it cost a little more.

I agree with the above but if you get an extra $500+ on the sale of a bike with a warranty attached and paid $1k for a 3or 4 year extended warranty then it’s not too bad for a little extra peace of mind. That’s how I rationalized mine.

If I was shopping for a bike and saw two the same but one had a warranty on it, I’d choose that one even if it cost a little more.

Just buy a Suzuki, $500-$1000 gas card + $500-$1000 incentive + 5 year factory warranty right now!

With any of the honda cbr/f/x 500's, extended warranty is totally unnecessary. Reliable bikes with little that can go wrong on warranty components.

That was my general thought ...this is long term ride ( famous last words ) and a mature model.
Deal is pretty much done - just seeing on the weekend if they'll be civilized on the trade.

Turns out they want the trade dead stock so that provides some income opportunities.

Thanks for input ...waiting for pickup...any further deals from Honda that come up I get to participate in.

gM9K6GoVO4tJK9nS2xnbw0YL8m5YU88s8N1seHpcdcpibwcjDA9jg8MLW3J4rqdrecCQw6c8gj9g0XT4DxxlGBOHwWsf2lPLG-UWJ4ivKNEhiwnTLA26Zi_tWJrVDkDjDG4eS36ru2OpFOsq-Uz9sCO7aCtxZLuC9OyZr0ZwPuPH_FaQk65j7opnJIEVIr-Rts6LXVWhlN5TB56Jhq8muTQ3u5nImQ1L10ZLwhgJLHbymrwGg7Yo5Ys5r1y7viYZHTxxwOUxvH4Ek4YIqSkTpGNjr9UtwFkUPbbge2UQwyS_xF7VCPyypu-juQv0DoZAqHDVAf37zGlc-KBym6hwztYbm9HDHjsl4EeQr-WgqDI47MozCopZTnb8rD_115ZfxHylNIS4t1Yib0YmRmF-h7-e4AbfkjC-B_rGm-tvpjW1I3bAY-Tp3jU-UmzZlUvKu7m5Mc3HTwgsZri8mOcpFbNGtzWrKxy3DkJSLx_pRe0UInQWJnk9rURnjASNRwXO9YaM5Z457qQUK1ETJYMafsI9GJz6rvVhYHasb3tZiRfRLbUJR1XLVq6NJ9lTFaZv4Ri-o0vsvBVShoq4nUBi1VNKG9suAG-LYpn0L7lD=w1120-h906-no

Those incentives are very tempting. Comparing the SV650/MT07/Z650, the Suzuki has the best price plus $500 gas card and 5 years warranty makes that very attractive!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Indeed, I wish i was upgrading this year :(

Why? Don’t you like your MT07? Or you were considering other as well at the time?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

MT09! :agave:

I like her just fine, but as i'm growing as a rider i think there are different bikes that would fit my riding style better. Next year or maybe in 2, i'll be on something else.

Back
Top Bottom