Having 2 bikes (SS + Standard) for the street? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Having 2 bikes (SS + Standard) for the street?

ccharlie

In a nutshell, I'm bored of my FZ-07. It's *extremely* fun around town and being an outright hooligan, but the second you hit the twisties the suspension falls flat on its face.

I looked into getting upgraded suspension and after working it all out (rear + front + installation) it'd work out to be about a $2.5k investment into the bike. IMO, that money could instead be put towards another bike.

I'm considering keeping the FZ for 2-upping / adventure-bike / putt-putt around town, and then have a super-sport for the twisties.

I did however look at getting a good in-between bike that doesn't have crap suspension, but it's either the 2018 CB1000R or an MT-09 (hopefully the SP version comes to NA). But for the price of a brand-new bike I could keep the FZ-07, have a ZX-6R *and* a Grom with money still leftover for insurance.

Has anyone else gone the same route? Two bikes for the road?

Had up to 3 bikes at at time before. Back then ins. wasn't as big a deal. Though I'm paying basically the same as I did beck then. If you are willing to pay, go for it. More bikes is never a bad thing!!!!!

Not same route but I also have a bike with bad suspension.

Have you looked into a donor rear shock (maybe from gsxr, etc.) And stiffer front springs with heavier oil?

On a gladius, it'll be around 200 if I go that route. Bit more to maybe 400 if I add GVE. All given that I do all the work.

Not same route but I also have a bike with bad suspension.

Have you looked into a donor rear shock (maybe from gsxr, etc.) And stiffer front springs with heavier oil?

On a gladius, it'll be around 200 if I go that route. Bit more to maybe 400 if I add GVE. All given that I do all the work.

Yeah, I ended up getting quotes for better rear + front and it worked out to be either $1.8k (cheap route) upwards to $2.5k. Although this is with a cartridge kit for the front and an adjustable suspension on the back rather than thicker oil / new springs.

Even so, people have done it on the FZ07 forums and were still dissapointed in the outcome. I believe it's partly because it's a "cheap" bike as well as the riding geometry.

The way I see it, I can either spend a *shitton* of money on something with upgraded suspension + better geometry (FZ-07 + Ohlins) or the new CB1000R or I could simply have two bikes for the road and the wife will be happy for 2-upping (add a comfier seat for the FZ07).

I'm curious what Suzuki / Kawasaki come out with in 2019 though, there's a rumor / articles going around about them re-vamping their 600 SS's.

I have many hobbies and it always turn out to save you more money when you get what you want instead of upgrading the parts.

just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I ended up getting quotes for better rear + front and it worked out to be either $1.8k (cheap route) upwards to $2.5k. Although this is with a cartridge kit for the front and an adjustable suspension on the back rather than thicker oil / new springs.

Even so, people have done it on the FZ07 forums and were still dissapointed in the outcome. I believe it's partly because it's a "cheap" bike as well as the riding geometry.

The way I see it, I can either spend a *shitton* of money on something with upgraded suspension + better geometry (FZ-07 + Ohlins) or the new CB1000R or I could simply have two bikes for the road and the wife will be happy for 2-upping (add a comfier seat for the FZ07).

I'm curious what Suzuki / Kawasaki come out with in 2019 though, there's a rumor / articles going around about them re-vamping their 600 SS's.

Sadly two bikes in Onterrible means double the yearly insurance. This quickly eats up money. If one bike can keep you happy, it will probably be cheaper in the long run even if it costs you some money now to get there.

In that case, I guess sell fz07 and get something else is the answer.

Or, get an SS for twisties, but make it comfier?

Could get a SS as the only bike, and replace the seat with something more cushioned. As well, replace the clip-on bars with risers + renthal low/high bar.

Yamaha is well known for making swiss army knife bikes
kind of good at everything, not great at anything
I've owned 2 of them and you can go way down the $ rabbit hole trying to improve them

currently going down the same path as you OP
sold the FJ09 and bought an older cruiser
loving the comfort and effortless riding

looking now for an ST of sporty bike that will take luggage
this will be for longer - multi day rides, and if I feel like some spirited riding

so instead of one new, expensive to insure bike
I'm going with 2 older, task specific bike
that combined will be about the same to insure (won't need collision)

Having two bikes is an ideal set up. I have a Harley that I use when I just feel like going out for a ride, take my girlfriend for lunch etc and then a supermoto when I'm looking for something a little more entertaining/performance oriented for twisties and other stupid stuff.

Could get a SS as the only bike, and replace the seat with something more cushioned. As well, replace the clip-on bars with risers + renthal low/high bar.
So instead of spending money upgrading the suspension on the FZ07 to make it what he wants, you're suggesting selling it, buying a SS, and then spending money to make it what he wants. On the SS, replacement comfy seats will easily be a few hundred. Bar conversion will easily be $500 if you do it right with a new triple tree, handle bar, grips, and brake lines (if you raise it high enough to be worth the effort/cost) + possible labour cost. And the passenger will still have an uncomfortable perch with a small seat and knees in their armpits.

I say trade up to a Super Duke.

So instead of spending money upgrading the suspension on the FZ07 to make it what he wants, you're suggesting selling it, buying a SS, and then spending money to make it what he wants. On the SS, replacement comfy seats will easily be a few hundred. Bar conversion will easily be $500 if you do it right with a new triple tree, handle bar, grips, and brake lines (if you raise it high enough to be worth the effort/cost) + possible labour cost. And the passenger will still have an uncomfortable perch with a small seat and knees in their armpits.

I say trade up to a Super Duke.
That's still under 1k. He estimates suspension upgrade to cost 2.5k. as long as he can find a deal on a used SS, which is not impossible these days thanks to insurance rates, Id say yeah it's still worth it to buy a SS and make small upgrades to make it comfy.

In a nutshell, I'm bored of my FZ-07. It's *extremely* fun around town and being an outright hooligan, but the second you hit the twisties the suspension falls flat on its face.

I looked into getting upgraded suspension and after working it all out (rear + front + installation) it'd work out to be about a $2.5k investment into the bike. IMO, that money could instead be put towards another bike.

I'm considering keeping the FZ for 2-upping / adventure-bike / putt-putt around town, and then have a super-sport for the twisties.

I did however look at getting a good in-between bike that doesn't have crap suspension, but it's either the 2018 CB1000R or an MT-09 (hopefully the SP version comes to NA). But for the price of a brand-new bike I could keep the FZ-07, have a ZX-6R *and* a Grom with money still leftover for insurance.

Has anyone else gone the same route? Two bikes for the road?

As an FZ09 owner the suspension is really the only downside to the bike.

I say sell the FZ7 and get the MT/FZ10. It's got the better suspension to hang in the twisties and big enough that 2 up won't require a trip to a massage therapist afterwards. Also has the hooligan effect/power on demand when you`re zipping around town.

maybe i am missing something...the FZ is great for around town, hooliganing around but the suspension is complete garbage for the "twisties" But the suspension is good enough for riding two up? if the suspension fails you for such aggressive cornering i would imagine you are no where near the legal speed limit, in that case why not keep the FZ and get a bike for the track duty

maybe i am missing something...the FZ is great for around town, hooliganing around but the suspension is complete garbage for the "twisties" But the suspension is good enough for riding two up? if the suspension fails you for such aggressive cornering i would imagine you are no where near the legal speed limit, in that case why not keep the FZ and get a bike for the track duty

Yeah, it's fun around town, but when you're canyon carving it really doesn't feel "planted" without spending a ton of money on suspension.

Already got a bike for track duty :)

The frustration I have could reside from the fact that the group rides I go on usually consist of windy / twisty roads. If it was more cruising-speed then I would keep the FZ!

To answer the other poster, I did test-ride the MT/FZ10 but found it an extremely uncomfortable bike, I'm right-up against the tank. It's a very wide bike and the gas tank is small. Otherwise, I would of loved it!

What I'm thinking now is selling my FZ (since they're pretty hot right now), getting the ZX-6R I've been eyeing and eventually an African Twin for adventure / road-bike. Argh! Still undecided haha.

Yeah, it's fun around town, but when you're canyon carving it really doesn't feel "planted" without spending a ton of money on suspension.

The frustration I have could reside from the fact that the group rides I go on usually consist of windy / twisty roads. If it was more cruising-speed then I would keep the FZ!

To answer the other poster, I did test-ride the MT/FZ10 but found it an extremely uncomfortable bike, I'm right-up against the tank. It's a very wide bike and the gas tank is small. Otherwise, I would of loved it!

What I'm thinking now is selling my FZ (since they're pretty hot right now), getting the ZX-6R I've been eyeing and eventually an African Twin for adventure / road-bike. Argh! Still undecided haha.
I have always kept multiple bikes -- each for it's own riding purpose.

Around 1970, bike manufacturers began segmenting the market, since then there are no bikes that can really satisfy all riding types.

My combo last year was a big ST and a big SS as those fit my interests. My combo today is a big ST and a mid size ADV. I enjoy both -- most years I'll do 20K+ at least 5K on each ride.

I like having two bikes as well.

My trick is to insure the main ride all year and the more expensive to insure ride for July to end of term - the savings are extensive and these days you can ride well into November most years.

Speak to Chris South about your specific info - ask about insuring the second bike for 1/2 time

csouth@surnet.net
Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
P: 416-546-8969
F: 866-491-4002

I may be doing that again if I don't get a decent trade on the CBF1000 ( that's a likely occurence ) ...I'm buying the CB500x regardless on finance so costs me little to keep the go faster machine.

Last edited:

Just get another sport bike, since you're doing track days you still want a good bike that handle like a dream and fast as well. You never go wrong with any 600cc...forget the fz07 and don't ever bother to spend any more $$$ to upgrade the suspension.

Back
Top Bottom