Anyone with a kawi versys x300? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone with a kawi versys x300?

Ummm I don't have the CB500x yet but would take it in a heartbeat over the 300 for distance.
Not sure I'd pick either of these as a distance machine. I've done lots of touring on 250 and smaller bikes -- if that's all I ever rode I'd say hell ya to distance on a Versys 300 or a CB500x. After trying other options, I'd say neither of these are great distance bikes. If you like touring or running 500+ km days, step up to something that is comfortable doing that AND will keep up with other like minded riders. The smallest I'd go is a 650 -- big enough to keep up with other adventurers.

OP, have you decided on the use of your bike? Having a list of things you need the bike for will help you narrow down the options.

They need to make an X-650 Versys. Or turn the current 650 Versys into something more off road capable.

They need to make an X-650 Versys. Or turn the current 650 Versys into something more off road capable.

i just bought a versys 1000 they call it an adventure touring, but it's more of a sport touring bike. the bike is great for blacktop haven't yet tried it on gravel roads

Not sure I'd pick either of these as a distance machine. I've done lots of touring on 250 and smaller bikes -- if that's all I ever rode I'd say hell ya to distance on a Versys 300 or a CB500x. After trying other options, I'd say neither of these are great distance bikes. If you like touring or running 500+ km days, step up to something that is comfortable doing that AND will keep up with other like minded riders. The smallest I'd go is a 650 -- big enough to keep up with other adventurers.

OP, have you decided on the use of your bike? Having a list of things you need the bike for will help you narrow down the options.

I would disagree on some points here, I agree the 300cc may get a little cramped and low on power, though the CB500X, or a 500cc is enough power for touring and long distance, anything above is personal preference and part of all the marketing jergen out today pushing people towards bigger is better (two up excluded, for that more may be better, though a couple from Australia went around the world on a stock 500x, fully loaded with luggage!). I had a 650cc and went down to the 500x, I've toured on both, the 500X is hands down better. It will cruise at 120-140kp/h easy all day, is comfortable, versatile, and crazy economical. While all the guys on the 650cc+ are stopping for gas, you'll keep going on your travels. My dad rides the CB too, he's had over 16 bikes in 45 years of riding, all ranges of power, and the CB is he's pick today.

I have no experience with the Versys, though own a 500X, and have done over 6k in kms over the last 2 months, alot of commuting and some touring. Get around 3.3l/100kms, over 450km a tank, 500km+ with reserve. Only better option is the RR LV3 kit for it, then you have a sub 450lbs RTW machine ;) I did see a x300 in person and sat on it, the fit and finish doesn't seem that good, and personally, I'd get the Honda CRF250 Rally in the new silver/black over it for value and quality, though that's 50cc less and a biased opinion.

If you like touring or running 500+ km days, step up to something that is comfortable doing that AND will keep up with other like minded riders

The CB500x will easily do that, is comfortable and long range tank. It compares favourably to a 650 ADV and is 100 lb lighter.
The 2017/18 revision has some very nice upgrades in windscreen and tank size and other small tweaks making a super popular bike even better.

Two up ?? nope.....solo upright ....that's why I bought it.....and I do long days. I could care less about like minded riders...I go where I like, when I like be it 130+ slab or back roads...and I'm very confident in the CB500x.

this is early in the model run

Up Angeles Crest Highway or riding down PCH, it’s again the Honda that surprises with a greater turn of speed over the course of real road conditions. Riding it while RideApart staffer Wes Siler was on the V-Strom was one of the only times I’ve ever been faster. It’s simply light, friendly, communicative and confidence-inspiring to a more significant degree than the Suzuki, which already excels at all those traits.

https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-vs-honda-cb500x-comparison-test

I don't think the 300 is comparable for distance but I'd buy it in a heartbeat for Australia.

Good long term review on the CB500x here
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/honda/honda-cb500x-review

and again that's not with the new tweaks.

this is

http://www.mcnews.com.au/honda-cb500x-review-motorcycle-test/

fter completing all the above, the only thing I hadn’t attempted, was to take the 500X completely out of it’s comfort zone and really ripped up the tarmac. That was until a riding mate and his two brothers gave me this opportunity. They came up for a Christmas ride and I decided I would tag along and see how the little CB500X would fare up against a trio of full-on sports bikes.

Honda-CB500X-2018-2.jpg

Honda CB500X

An Aprilia Tuono, MT-10SP and the last of the Rotax engined Buell sports bikes is what the Flying Gauchi brothers turned up on. All shod with modern sports or sports-touring rubber. All three of these boys can ride a bit good too!

I was expecting to be left for dead. But, to my surprise, the little Honda CB500X held it’s head high and kept pace with the more fancied opposition for a 60km run down one of the most challenging pieces of road Australia has to offer. It was here that I finally found the limits of the little Honda. keeping in mind that it was now operating far beyond the bike’s design brief.

Still, the CB500X handled riding with three well ridden sports bikes without ever getting out of shape or feeling like it was being over ridden. I wasn’t the only one surprised at how good the little Honda was, with the Gauchi boys all being completely shocked that the CB500X managed to stay with the group, even passing them at certain points along the way. They made comment to such effect when we stopped at the bottom to say our goodbyes.

That will do me just fine.

Last edited:
Anyone own one of these? Looking for some feedback on comfort, reviews etc
The only reason I would consider a X300 over my CB500X would be for the 19 inch front tire and roughly 40 to 50 lbs lighter weight.

If you don't plan on doing riding it through Ganny, I'd suggest the CB500X for touring and off pavement riding. It is a great bike I have had since 2013, and it really can do it all. I would even pick the KLX250S over the X300.

But it really all depends on what YOU want to do with the bike.

I am also curious if anyone has purchased a Versys X300 to give an honest review of what they think so far.

Two up ?? nope.....solo upright ....that's why I bought it.....and I do long days. I could care less about like minded riders...I go where I like, when I like be it 130+ slab or back roads...and I'm very confident in the CB500x.

Sure it's nitpicking but "couldn't care less" is what you want. Like-minded is also shorthand for friends or respected associates, people you DO care about. I would have gone with, "In this case, I am untroubled by the preferences of strangers. The CB500x functions very well on both rural roads and the Queen's highways. Many like-minded riders agree."

I would disagree on some points here, I agree the 300cc may get a little cramped and low on power, though the CB500X, or a 500cc is enough power for touring and long distance, anything above is personal preference and part of all the marketing jergen out today pushing people towards bigger is better (two up excluded, for that more may be better, though a couple from Australia went around the world on a stock 500x, fully loaded with luggage!). I had a 650cc and went down to the 500x, I've toured on both, the 500X is hands down better. It will cruise at 120-140kp/h easy all day, is comfortable, versatile, and crazy economical. While all the guys on the 650cc+ are stopping for gas, you'll keep going on your travels. My dad rides the CB too, he's had over 16 bikes in 45 years of riding, all ranges of power, and the CB is he's pick today.
You can tour on anything with 2 wheels -- people go around the world on bicycles. It's really a matter of personal choice and finding a bike that works for you. I do enough long distance riding, last summer I did a couple of rides with a CB500x in the group -- at 130kmh those bikes using 5l/100, vs a DL650 at 4.8/100l -- that's nearly 100km range advantage for the DL. Run at 100kmh and the Honda drops to 3.8, and the DL 4.4 -- still the DL will still have a 50km range advantage. If you're getting 3.3/100 your beating the Fuelly average by a large margin.

You are correct on the overall fuel economy -- most riders are not touring at 130km and will get really good fuel mileage - should be the same as the 300cc VersysX. I think the big difference between the two is in the build. The CBx is a CB500 street bike dressed with adv style plastics handlebars setup (allows the CB500 forks to be clamped lower in the triple tree for more ground clearance. If Kawi dressed the Ninja 300 the same way you would have similar bikes. The VersysX is designed as a light adv, it's wheels, tires, suspension frame are ready for medium duty ADV riding. The CB500x isn't far off, you can get close with a Rally Raid type upgrade which costs between $500-1000, you can't get the 19" front wheel or the lighter more durable spokes. You also can't get the Versys's 45lb dry weight advantage and I don't think Honda equips the Cb500s with a slipper clutch.

If price is a consideration, VersysX wins there too. A 2017 VersysX with factory panniers is $5850. The 2017 CB500X with factory panniers is $8300 (add $1000 suspension upgrade if required). Add $500 to each for 2018 models. Dealers wiggle a little on price, but not much.

Last edited:
Sure it's nitpicking but "couldn't care less" is what you want. Like-minded is also shorthand for friends or respected associates, people you DO care about. I would have gone with, "In this case, I am untroubled by the preferences of strangers. The CB500x functions very well on both rural roads and the Queen's highways. Many like-minded riders agree."

:thumbup:

Mods, can we get a "like" button, please?

that's nearly 100km range advantage for the DL.

What year CB500x??....the new ones have a larger tank and better mileage than a DL650 under all circumstances. I''ve never gotten 500 km from either of my DLs but the late model CB500x riders are reporting 320 miles on a tank. That's over 500 km

My CB500X
2017 Honda CB500X
Added Apr 2018 • 16 Fuel-ups
Property of scooty61
Avg MPG

CBX
2017 Honda CB500X
Added May 2018 • 9 Fuel-ups
Property of BravoSierra
Avg MPG

Goldilocks
2017 Honda CB500X
Added Jun 2018 • 14 Fuel-ups
Property of GoodTimesRoll
Avg MPG

4.6 US gallon tank

That's 485 per tank on a smaller tank...just where is your 100 km range advantage??

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cb500x/2017

Why stress a 300 motor when the CB500x mill is rock solid.

I think it shows in fuel mileage...the 300x 55 mpg
is much less than the CB500x at 69.9 mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/versys-x_300

Ouch
ust like the baby Ninja, it’s all about the rpm, and just like it, the Versys is exceedingly generous with them. You’re turning 8000 rpm in sixth gear to generate 66 mph, which was a sweet spot on my test Versys, and dialing up 80 mph and 9600 rpm had it feeling almost as happy.

The CB500x will be at 5,000 rpm.

BTW 2018 new is $7300 according to my bill of sale. Anyone buying Honda panniers needs their head read.

The Versys 300x is $6500.
https://www.kawasaki.ca/product/versys-x-300-abs

I think the Versys 300 is brilliant ...but I'd not take it cross country. It is far closer to a true dual sport.

I think the CB500x is brilliant....but I'd not take it on the forest roads here in Australia.

But on the highway....CB500x more HP, better fuel mileage at lower RPM for an $800 difference in price??
and on the highway the extra weight of the Honda is useful,

Off pavement the lighter weight of VZersys is very desirable.

BTW - off pavement I'd take the BMW 310 and it starts at $6450 Cdn - better for my use here in Australia

https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/models/adventure/g310gs.html

Last edited:
I didn't even know about that BMW310....very nice bike. Need to do some research as that could be my next bike. Although I have no f'ing clue what I want so keep putting off the decision.

What year CB500x??....the new ones have a larger tank and better mileage than a DL650 under all circumstances. I've never gotten 500 km from either of my DLs but the late model CB500x riders are reporting 320 miles on a tank. That's over 500 km

4.6 US gallon tank

That's 485 per tank on a smaller tank...just where is your 100 km range advantage??
My experience comes from riding along side one. I bought my Vee near Montreal and rode back along the 401 at 130km with couple of riders, one on a CB500x. He got no where close to 400km, we had to stop in Belleville -- about 360km to a 17l tank. My Vee used the same amount of fuel, but I had another 5 litres to drink.

A few weeks back I achieved 504KM on my DL -- ran at 80kmh along HWY 7 from Toronto to Ottawa .

Why stress a 300 motor when the CB500x mill is rock solid.
I think you can say the same about the Kawi 300 - it's about as solid as they come.

I think it shows in fuel mileage...the 300x 55 mpg
is much less than the CB500x at 69.9 mpg

Ouch
I think your sample size is too small, I'd use the Ninja 300 as an example, it's using the same mechanical setup and there are enough reports for statistical significance -- it runs about 4.1l or about 68MPG. http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/kawasaki/ex300_ninja_300/2013

As for the CB500X, it's designed for economy over power and does a great job.
MacDoc;2586519 BTW 2018 new is $7300 according to my bill of sale. Anyone buying Honda panniers needs their head read. The Versys 300x is $6500. [URL said:
https://www.kawasaki.ca/product/versys-x-300-abs[/URL]
I understand, but if you're going to add hard bags, it's gonna be at least $500.

I think the Versys 300 is brilliant ...but I'd not take it cross country. It is far closer to a true dual sport.

I think the CB500x is brilliant....but I'd not take it on the forest roads here in Australia.

But on the highway....CB500x more HP, better fuel mileage at lower RPM for an $800 difference in price??
and on the highway the extra weight of the Honda is useful,

Off pavement the lighter weight of VZersys is very desirable.

BTW - off pavement I'd take the BMW 310 and it starts at $6450 Cdn - better for my use here in Australia

https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/en/models/adventure/g310gs.html
I'm not going to disagree.

I have always been skeptical of 'inbetween' bikes and bikes that are dressed but not designed for specific markets (not sure this isn't what the 310 GS is as well -- seen lots of rough reviews on the ADV decorated model). If Kawi took a Ninja 300 and added an X to the name, a beaked fairing and shoved the forks down the trees, I'd have the same dim view. I like the idea of the bike being designed and built for adventuring -- take it out of the box and go -- no upgrades, no tradeoffs.

I also suspect the VersysX is a direct replacement for the KLR -- it's just too close in capability, performance, power-to-weight to be anything but.

Anyhow, you have one -- I respect your experience and opinions even when they are different than mine. I know how excited you must be to get on your new ride, looking forward to your reviews -- who knows, maybe my next one will be a CB500x too.

Thanks - you have more off pavement/off road experience and FFS Honda viewed my CBF1000 in the Adventure Category.

The CB500X at least has some small virtue over that silliness but I see it primarly as a light do everything bike that was more like the machines in 70s and can be farkled to tip it in one direction or the other.

The Versys 300x would be exactly the replacement for my KLR650 here tho perhaps not quite as capable ( 21" front tire on the KLR is a treat ) as is stump pulling 650 single but for me it would do fine and I'm too old and stiff to do the tracks buddies do here plus the much lighter weight of the Versys would make me more confident...but that's a couple years or more off yet
I really enjoyed the thread on Stromtrooper about the Versys,
https://www.stromtrooper.com/other-motorcycles/391018-kawasaki-versys-x-300-a.html

I really approve of the lighter, cheaper but very capable machines being offered. The GTA muddles advice cuz it's a bear just to get past the city and buzzing at 8k rpm for 110-120 kph I just gotta think would be drag.

It would be a hoot for in city purposes.

Outside the city ....not so much an issue and out of the box a better choice going off pavement. I'm a bit skeptical of any twin tho on dirt.....prefer the thumpers.

Here's the problem with the Versys-X 300 for me:

It's got great top-end performance that is obviously coming from a big cam. That means poor fuel mileage and poor low RPM performance as dynamic compression suffers for good high RPM horsepower. You're better off getting a 500cc bike with a smaller cam and better low-end torque. It's more efficient. Like the old saying goes, "there's no replacement for displacement". I prefer Honda's single in the CRF Rally that gives better low-end torque with less top-end. The benefits in fuel mileage are about 20% over the Versys 300. Suffice to say however, that the Versys-X is a very practically styled bike for an everyday commuter who wants weekend fun camping off dirt roads way up north. But the fuel mileage trade-off is not for me.

Back
Top Bottom