Not so neighbourly neighbour - sigh | GTAMotorcycle.com

Not so neighbourly neighbour - sigh

sburns

GTMA knows all things, and can help me!

My direct neighbor has been doing this whole open fire pit thing. I'll come home and my whole house is covered with smoke and it gets inside and is a impossible to get it out. I've tried to mitigate the issue by talking with him first. No luck, doesn't want to listen, threw some by law in my face (I live in Toronto). Fire department called, he gets a warning. That was last year. Just came home he is at it again. Called Toronto Fire and I am sure he got a fine this time.

He angrily approaches me with threatening **** etc, run you down on your motorcycle, you better watch out, it's on, nonsense.

So things have escalated and I am worried about some repercussion on this. More worried about damage to my property, my stuff etc.

I'll be filing a report with the Police.

Any advice on this?
[COLOR=inherit !important]

[/COLOR]

Security cameras.

If he does do something stupid, video footage of it is priceless.

Aside from that he seems like an idiot who thinks the rules need not apply to him, and as for the threats of violence, yeah, file a police report and have that on record, but again, if anything ever does happen...video footage of it is priceless.

My direct neighbor has been doing this whole open fire pit thing. I'll come home and my whole house is covered with smoke and it gets inside and is a impossible to get it out. I've tried to mitigate the issue by talking with him first. No luck, doesn't want to listen, threw some by law in my face (I live in Toronto). Fire department called, he gets a warning. That was last year. Just came home he is at it again. Called Toronto Fire and I am sure he got a fine this time.

He angrily approaches me with threatening **** etc, run you down on your motorcycle, you better watch out, it's on, nonsense.

So things have escalated and I am worried about some repercussion on this. More worried about damage to my property, my stuff etc.

Any advice on this?

[/COLOR]

Its most likely bluster as he’s annoyed at being told he can’t do what he wants to do. Best thing is to just let it go and deal directly with the fire dept etc as he knows he shouldn’t be doing the fire pit thing now and if you interact directly with him it will just goad him. Just keep calling it in if he does it. I have an ******* neighbour who wouldn’t move his air conditioner from under my bedroom window in the alleyway despite having tons of room in his back yard. Long story short...he switches it off at 11 now since I let him know I’d have no issues calling a lawyer in if that’s the way he wants to play it. He’s retired, I’m still earning, I think he understood how this works out.

Unfortunately the situation isnt likely to remedy itself. You’re best off avoiding him if things have broken down this much.

What is a lawyer gonna do about an AC unit if it's on his property? Most in my neighbourhood are at the side. Just happens that my place ends shorter than the neighbour and their AC is just about outside my window.

Last edited:
You're pretty much looking at trying to repair the relationship or continue WAR.

If you really are worried about your property, as recommended above... get security cameras so you have evidence should he decide to do anything.

You can also try talking to your other neighbors and see what they think... maybe they know him and can give you more insight on how to approach him better.

The best advice is to somehow get him to see your side of the situation while also understanding his and being both able to move on.

One problem is that because you can buy things people assume they're legal and get mad if they're told to put their toy away or take it to the cottage etc. It's the losing face thing.

What is a lawyer gonna do about an AC unit if it's on his property? Most in my neighbourhood are at the side. Just happens that my place ends shorter than the neighbour and their AC is just about outside my window.

I have a bunch of comparable lawsuits I found settled in favour of the complainee covering almost identical situations. The situation isn’t as simple as you think, this isn’t my thread though so I won’t expand.

Will be looking at a camera tomorrow.

This guy is a real tool. it is not just a simple fire pit. He was burning left over wood from a reno project.

I don't want War just be left alone from his stupidity and be ahead of any action he might take. Being prepared

It is always the dumb dumb's who ruin it for the rest of us.

I went for a quick rip to cool off. It helped remind me why riding is so enjoyable.

Thanks all!!

Sent from the moon!

Sometimes things like this happen for a reason and they're a message...time to move perhaps? I move every five years..keeps life interesting. And it keeps neighbours on good behavior. If that's not an option, here's a good cheap plug and play system that you can order on the walmart.ca app:

116ow82.jpg

No one should have to be bothered with stress from other's while inside their own home.

I thought this was kind of funny, but in reality it's best not to take any revenge. Keep the law on your side.

https://youtu.be/F16P8nntvqQ

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

For a small fee, I know a couple guys who will come and "explain things" to him. No more issues guaranteed. He'll likely cut your grass for you after they're done.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

For a small fee, I know a couple guys who will come and "explain things" to him. No more issues guaranteed. He'll likely cut your grass for you after they're done.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Are people intimidated by V twin guys with leather and tats? Forum BBQ?

Keep calling fire, and next time ask them to add "foam" to the water and spray it on all his stuff he wants to burn.

Nothing will ignite afterwards ..

Are people intimidated by V twin guys with leather and tats? Forum BBQ?

Average person can't identify the difference between 99%'ers and 1%ers.

If that's not an option, here's a good cheap plug and play system that you can order on the walmart.ca app:

I wouldn't buy anything that isn't wired, and doesn't have a real HD vs saving to memory cards. Wireless cameras have batteries that need replacing far too often...and more often than not people just eventually slip up on that part and when you actually *need* something you hoped they filmed, you find out they were dead and didn't record a thing. And SD cards fill up too quick and overwrite things, so again, when you need footage a few days after you discover a problem it may very well be gone already.

Wired is more of a PITA to install, but it's really a set it and forget it solution that records sometimes months of footage before overwriting depending on how you set it up. My setup records at least a month or two of footage from all my cameras before overwriting.

Well...

If you put cameras up, maybe you'll get lucky and he'll do something that puts him in jail

Are you in georgetown by any chance?

Dealing with neighbours right now. I've warned them not to talk to me or family or come on property or I'll call police.

Cameras are a great way to keep secure. Make sure you can retrieve the footage. Some of these DIY systems suck.

I plan on moving in a year or two. I told the realtor I don't want to see neighbours on my next property and near a highway.

Any advice on this?

[/COLOR]

If he has a fire permit it allows him to burn **** ... just saying , if he doesnt have a permit 35 bucks gets him one. Can't see this resolving itself until he runs out of **** to burn :-(

It's too stressful living in a place where neighbours constantly battle each other, nothing good ever comes of it. Best advice is to make peace or move.

Things can too easy escalate to a point of being dangerous. I knew a guy (now decease so no repercussions are possible) and he was constantly having his firewood stolen, he packed a hollow log with a little gun powder and left it on his own wood pile, one cold day in December the neighbour blew most of the windows out of their house. Neighbour never complained, how could they! theft of firewood ended.

If he has a fire permit it allows him to burn **** ... just saying , if he doesnt have a permit 35 bucks gets him one. Can't see this resolving itself until he runs out of **** to burn :-(

Pretty much any urban area completely bans open fires aside from propane fire pits & that sort of thing, and even those can be legally dodgy in some areas as they constitute an open flame.

Burn permits are only a thing in rural areas.

That aside most of the province is under a complete fire ban as it is right now anyways because of the dry weather.

No it doesn't, I have called the fire chief and verified. It is only for religious gatherings and another function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought in Toronto you can have a fire as long as you have food around it (i.e.: for cooking a meal) and that you are a minimum distance from, approx 5m, from any building / structure?

Have had many such fires with friends in Etobicoke / Mississauga in their yards and never an issue. I'd have one here but in a townhouse it won't go well I'm sure...although I smell it sometimes from some neighbours.

Back
Top Bottom