Corbin

Thread: Corbin

Corbin

Corbin gets a lot of negative reviews because of the cost.The first Corbin i bought was for a 1984 BMW R80RT. It was $620 back in 1990.The Corbin for my Honda CRF250Rally was $575.A LOT of money and a lot of people will say i should have bought Canadian or a cheaper Seat Concepts.But 1/2 an hour on it tells me i made the right decision.I've turned my 250 into a "90mpg tourer"Hahaha.
    It's only money.

"If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

2017 CRF250 Rally
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

Re: Corbin

I don't know why manufacturers haven't jumped into the seat game. Either sell a corbin as a factory option or create their own comfortable seat and sell you that. The stock seat does not seem ideal for a motorcycle on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I don't know why manufacturers haven't jumped into the seat game. Either sell a corbin as a factory option or create their own comfortable seat and sell you that. The stock seat does not seem ideal for a motorcycle on the street.
    Yamaha have started adding comfort seat options to its new bikes. Itís a win/win, make the stock seat so cheap and uncomfortable that the owner has no choice but to replace the existing seat.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Ducati has 2 options on their DP seats.Race or Comfort.I had the Comfort seat on an 1100 Hypermotard.It was as good as a Corbin at half the price.
    Ric Waterloo

2017 CRF250 Rally
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

The OEM seat is uncomfortable by design as a reminder that you should be standing more, LoL

My Corbin must weigh at least 15 lbs! but agree it does make a big difference on the all day rides.
    Ride Safe.....

2011 BMW F8OOR

Former bikes: 2002 FZ1, 1985 FJ600, 1980 RD400 Hondas S90, SS50 and C50

Quote Originally Posted by Jayv View Post
    Yamaha have started adding comfort seat options to its new bikes. It’s a win/win, make the stock seat so cheap and uncomfortable that the owner has no choice but to replace the existing seat.
    This is very true. The Yamaha R3 for example has a pretty comfortable seat for a new sports bike.

I have recieved plenty surprised reactions from people that tried to sit on it expecting it to be of poor quality and comfort.

I've ridden my R3 for 5 hours straight and I can tell you that my behind felt comfort the whole time.
    17' Yamaha R3 ABS

I should clarify my post, Yamaha offers the comfort seat as a separate accessory. For instance the seat that comes standard with FZ09/MT09 is adequate if you are a eunuch.

Neda had a Corbin on her F650GS. Loved it. Very comfortable.

Problems started when the material starting fraying and letting water into the upholstery, making it waterlogged when it rained. Felt like you were sitting on a wet sponge and took forever to dry. The seat was only a couple of years old.

Called Corbin, and they told us to pound salt.

Will never buy a seat from them again. Bought a Sargent to replace it. It felt 15 lb *lighter* than the Corbin! Very happy with Sargent.

Virtually everyone I ride with has spent big bucks for an aftermarket Corbin, Sargent or Russell seat as the OEM's ones are useless after 2 hours. Perhaps one exception I've noted is the Goldwing seat as the OEM one looks pretty similar to the aftermarket ones to start with and riders seem to be content with keeping them.
    PS

2002 Honda ST1100, 1977 Yamaha XS750, 1975 Yamaha XS500, Honda MT250, Honda CR250, Honda CB450, Honda TL125, Honda CB175, Kawasaki G4 100 and Honda CT70

This guy actually owned a seat concepts and Corbin and perfers the seat concepts. I'm really trying to figure if this is worth it for my crf250l. Torn between the two.

https://youtu.be/7JYERzpOVds

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Stock seat is barely 7" wide.Seat Concepts is 8".Corbin is almost 11".My Rally spends a lot more time on the road than the dirt.SC prolly would have been ok for me,but i didn't want to find myself wishing i had bought the Corbin after the fact.AND...i'm 65 now.Every bit of comfort goes a long way.

Where are you? You can try mine if we can hook up.
    Ric Waterloo

2017 CRF250 Rally
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Stock seat is barely 7" wide.Seat Concepts is 8".Corbin is almost 11".My Rally spends a lot more time on the road than the dirt.SC prolly would have been ok for me,but i didn't want to find myself wishing i had bought the Corbin after the fact.AND...i'm 65 now.Every bit of comfort goes a long way.

Where are you? You can try mine if we can hook up.
    Mississauga... You?

I haven't had a problem with the seat yet but I've only really commuted on it. Going to take it to gopher dunes next week. See how it does on all day trails.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    Corbin gets a lot of negative reviews because of the cost.The first Corbin i bought was for a 1984 BMW R80RT. It was $620 back in 1990.The Corbin for my Honda CRF250Rally was $575.A LOT of money and a lot of people will say i should have bought Canadian or a cheaper Seat Concepts.But 1/2 an hour on it tells me i made the right decision.I've turned my 250 into a "90mpg tourer"Hahaha.
    It's only money.

That's a nice setup. $575 for the seat. $7000 for the bike. Hahaha, it's only money that you'll never see again. Nice seat though.

I still ride my $800 customized CM250c. Leather seat. 70mpg. Lacklustre performance. I love the 250 Rally, just can't part with the dough. Maybe I'll buy yours when you're done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadghost View Post
    That's a nice setup. $575 for the seat. $7000 for the bike. Hahaha, it's only money that you'll never see again. Nice seat though.

I still ride my $800 customized CM250c. Leather seat. 70mpg. Lacklustre performance. I love the 250 Rally, just can't part with the dough. Maybe I'll buy yours when you're done with it.
    The Rally was $6300.I have the oem saddle to go back on and will sell the Corbin for prolly $350 when i'm done with it.I'll prolly have the Rally for a couple of years.Depends how much trials riding i do with my daughter.
    Ric Waterloo

2017 CRF250 Rally
    2011 Ossa TR280i
    1976 Yamaha TY175

Itís your ride, you decide. We spend more money than we care to admit on much less.

Corbin has a great rep by many. However, you canít please everyone.

I does surprise me that manufactures universally make cheap and uncomfortable seats on the majority of the machines they make.

Sure, they have upgrades etc. But itís nice to have options.

Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95% of the riders do not go on 500km+ trips. Stock seats are more than sufficient for the commuters or the Tim Hortons crowd.

I usually end up replacing or modifying the seat on every bike I have. Found Sargent to be cheaper than Corbin.

My last few bikes have had Corbin's. On each of those bikes I could only do about 45 minutes on the stock seat before getting really uncomfortable. Switch to a Corbin and I can do 3hours no problem. Getting a new/used Corbin for $300 is the most I've ever spent.
    The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

https://www.mixcloud.com/shanekingsley/ - House music, Drum'nBass and Downtempo mixed sets