CB500x .....in my near future?? Thinking out loud. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB500x .....in my near future?? Thinking out loud.

Does the 500x have electronic cruise control? My current GSA is the first bike I have had with electronic cruise and have to say it is now a must have feature for me for touring. The upright riding position of adventure bikes are the most comfortable in my opinion, can't go wrong with them really. Sharp looking bike.

Honda has made a rather "standard" bike with one essential feature ....the ABS...at a good price point.

Certainly no ECC.

It reminded me ( and others) of the days when mid sized bikes were light and fun and rather plainly featured.

Surprising close in weight power etc to my Honda 305 SuperHawk way back when. That was also a breakthrough bike.

Wade2bikes-0002.jpg

Dual overhead cams and would legimately do 100 mph. ( 104 )
351 lb wet.

The Honda CB77, or Super Hawk, was a 305 cc (18.6 cu in) straight-twin motorcycle produced from 1961 until 1967. It is remembered today as Honda's first sport bike. It is a landmark model in Honda's advances in Western motorcycle markets of the 1960s,[4] noted for its speed and power as well as its reliability, and is regarded as one of the bikes that set the standard for modern motorcycles.

The increase in tank size happened on the 2016 model along with the new design. I remember reading the changes on the 2017 model and several sites incorrectly noted a tank size increase.
https://hondanews.eu/eu/et/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/66607/2016-honda-cb500x notes the fuel capacity at 17.5L including reserves which is 4.6 gallons. I'm sure you can make 450km in a tank if you're gentle on the throttle but personally, 350km range is more realistic.

Stock, they came with Dunlop D609. I got 14,000km out of them. I did gravel on those tires all the time and I think they handled fine. Currently running Avon Trailrider AV54.

The Givi Trekker outback top case and mounting was just under $800 from Fortnine.

I would love panniers but i find the top case to be sufficient most of the time. The odd time i need more, i'll strap a backpack to the rear seat. The top case has lashing points which makes this even easier. Plus it doubles as a back rest.
DsbBTQK.jpg

Last edited:
I have this bike too, although I must confess that I am one of those who are looking to upgrade in the future. Nothing against the bike, but it feels a wee bit too cramped for me for those really long days in the saddle. I also feel that I get blown about a bit on the highway, but no real issues with the power.
Great bike overall.

Thanks - what is your inseam?

Getting blown about a bit comes with the low weight and upright seating.....that's a given so I'm anticipating that

I got a 2016 CB500X a few months back, so far, I love it! In the beginning I had my doubts with the power coming from a 650cc, though I don't miss the power much anymore.

Fuel efficiency is why I stopped looking at anything else now, not sure why i-WERKS is getting such bad mileage with his. I'm on stock tires, got the bike basically new, and I consistently get 400kms+ on a tank before reserve comes on, and that's consistent with either city driving or long trips. Some long trips up north I keep up with traffic going 120-140km/h, don't fear the high revs and still get close to 400km+ before reserve, and always have 3-4L still left when I fill up.

I did change the exhaust to the scorpion serket one, plus some small tweaks that made the bike much more comfortable. I got the SW Motech foot pegs that lower the position about an inch, makes a difference. My inseam is about 32", and I'm 6ft tall so it felt a tad tight earlier. I also have a wind deflector which helps alot, and got new levers from rally raid which I highly recommend. The only bike I'd consider letting it go for now is the new Yamaha T7, which is in Limbo for life it appears, and will still cost 12-14K stock probably.

I live in Mississauga, I don't mind meeting up if you want to check the bike out. My dad and I both ride, he's owned over 14 bikes and has 40yrs experience, he loves the CB500X too ;)

Thanks - excellent info. I might do that when I get back early Oct.

That Yammy T7 also was of interest to me but too much and not proven.....if even available at all.

Thanks - what is your inseam?

Getting blown about a bit comes with the low weight and upright seating.....that's a given so I'm anticipating that

My inseam is 30".i recently installed footpeg lowering blocks from Motowerk and they have helped a but, but haven't had a really long ride to test them out. I also might do the saddle from seat concepts, there are 2 versions, one which raises the seat height so it will give the legs a bit more room to stretch out.

How's the power when loaded for touring? Especially passing on the highway.

It's fine at highway speeds. If you at 120-130kph and you want to pass, you should probably go down a gear but otherwise fast enough. Power delivery is not exciting though obviously.

My own opinion is that this bike is due for a refresh. The CB_500_ series came out in model year '13 and had a minor refresh in 2016.

I like what Honda did for the CB300R compared to the older F, they unfortunately didn't tweak the engine but they shaved something like 45 lbs off the bike, gave it all LED (including the turn signals), an updated instrument panel, and USD forks!

I'm thinking the 500s will get a similar treatment next year or the year after. Then again, maybe not.

Possible ...pretty steep discount on a $1000 machine that has been popular - I tend to look behind the market for value. Now if someone from the dealer would contact me ......sigh :rolleyes:

Pulled the trigger on the 2017 - apparently the last one available in red which is what I was worried about. $500 on the CC tomorrow and I have it secured.
The rep thought there might be another rebate coming before Oct so I would get that but I lock in my financing now as he thought that deal might end.
Angling for a deal on the factory luggage. 29 liter each ...that's better than I expected.
I don't think the matching side panels are worth it. Oh damn another forum to join. Not a great loss getting out of the CBF forum ....bit snooty over there and advice not that relevant to North American owners and they are not willing to have a subforum ....one of the factors in my decision to move off the CBF.

maxresdefault.jpg

This not a 2017/18 CB500X - it's just there to give an idea wih luggage.

This is a look I could live with

41047100630_4f3ddd0506_k.jpg

Nice review from Australia and that reassured me on braking and a nice surprise a very rideable seat....the best stock seat he's been on ....keeping fingers crossed.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/honda-cb500x-review-motorcycle-test/

Last edited:
I've had the stock seat since 2013 and I've used it on a trip to PEI with no problems.

A Seat Concepts or Corbin would probably be more comfortable, but not worth the money for me because I do a lot off offroad and frequently drop the bike.
4c14d6301ddf547f6b418df3be29e2d8.jpg

Pulled the trigger on the 2017 ...

maxresdefault.jpg

don't think this is a 2017/18

I think you are correct on that! Sure looks way more like a 2016 or prior NC700X to me.

It is ... ...damned if I can find a 2017 cb500x pictured with factory luggage
Maybe now the internet is functioning properly

sort of

X001-Y001.jpg

over priced I think

That's good news on the seat ...I'd rather not chase seats again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom