CB500x .....in my near future?? Thinking out loud. | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB500x .....in my near future?? Thinking out loud.

Isn't it cost prohibitive to be returning merchandise to RevZilla from Canada?

via Tapatalk

That is one reason I do not order much from Revzilla. They are a great company to deal with in the states, but in Canada you are always stuck with the return shipping cost as well as regular shipping just to get it. My sister lives in PA so have had a few things sent down to her, including a helmet I could not get here. They were incredibly fast, 2 days and it was at her door. Customer service was exceptional when I was asking questions about the helmet, over all super impressed and wish we had something to match in Canada. FortNine is ok but they do not really come close to Revzilla.

Well, macdoc, I’m glad to see at least one other person in the world other than me uses the ram mount cup holder. That thing is the absolute bomb. Three days of rain and 4/6 Celsius last year riding out of Ontario towards Alaska but.........with my cup holder sipping tea and hot chocolate while riding made it slightly less painful.

In in the summer, it’s a thermal mug filled with ice water that stays cold forever and is super easy to reach while riding. I have a stiff plastic straw that works well.

Congrats on the bike. Like you I was looking for something light and easy, I’m not getting any younger or stronger. I did several test rides on the Honda but I found it to buzzy but that was when it first came out. I bought a nc750x though.

Not it for me,sold it and moved on. I ended up buying a street triple this summer and installed the sw motech blaze side panniers on it. Also the sw motech rear bag. I do a lot of touring and just getting groceries ect and I need to carry work stuff every time I go out.

i did not want to buy a light bike and then weight it down with heavy luggage brackets and bags. The sw motech stuff is a cordura so very ligh but spacious. Looks good too. I love the stripple but the fuel mileage isn’t its strong point. About 350 k to a tank, you gotta be gentle when you hit the 300 k mark, the light goes on.

I have a touring screen on it, heated grips, bags, USB power port, just enough for touring. It’s so tiny and light so easy to push around myself. 403 lbs curb weight.

For really long trips, I still have the F650gs with the three aluminum bags and all the touring farkles. The triumph is my sh*ts and giggles bike. Like you I had a cbf1000 only to find out there is practically zero aftermarket support here in North America and it’s expensive. And I agree about the forum as well.

Thanks for feedback. I have been surprised at the stability at speed ….better than the Vstrom or the CBF1000

Honda just keeps trying that 700 series motor to no good end. Both kid and I hated the demo ride we took when they first came out. I suspect it's fine with DCT which I did not like as well as the Burgman 650 tranny.

The Shad side cases at 2.2 kg each are a treat ....hardly notice them and love the top load.

bnyPq-yKBOUpbcKOjoSTgsWCZ_0bILEg2DgnYgwJiSQTFuGaDjCIapE6bNXMHU7UfPavSnJZCN1q4IYwZimDIpE-7aXlciC9MBSAU43euJ11YCNhVbCg-4HOSAsVfqehGmf5IdMA_uA20FOmErzErUHNHE2wVqJmppUAGKbkEUhW12IqHm1vexEDfnVLd_g2fW3kI53AsBsnlstd0nvWUVVEt-nis3ov67hpT-eNawAWG1HGt4qZxy5Khl0d2H-f26_mXLDqS3ZRZxZiNYqmahCROaruwD3yX4PIp7TbgqqAWNoiy54zBa_hfFHlRPESiSG2rkGyanWxaTQItnFqmfSmBjQAom-ZwALs8ElFrL_teI1GDeXJDfeaAeQgJdTQj3MYrCMfgUDdnMv8bMY5pzyD-Sla5OWkqpf6QNdsxscWhizQKjNnroKpPawZ0hpsjpOk_uaR94jXA7IwNilHnQnM3duCvultnXqOMVdcSi_GZ51crYYaTaWGmS1QvnpZ533IoeoZ8aKrCNneGHhkUIjwR5bfotgIZHlce_oq1ZNz3zog6iKZbRc5eCiyYG6_qDA97cR6WQhmuiGY0jM_-3PffXl9eSBfl1ralwGq5QphZX68V98L931FQbOSQje8brXm3Hsu9wm89iNW1RiirQdn8g=w790-h552-no

Weight and range are the key for me on the CB500x and I travel very light for touring ..if I have to I have a buddy seat bag or I can mount the Shad 46 but it's so ugly on the CB500x.

The stability at speed on the slab came a total pleasant surprise and with the upright high seating viz is great.

46 liters in the side bags and 20 liter tank bag is enough tho I'm considering a rack on the top of the side cases but might screw up the waterproofing. One guy uses it for his rain gear .. clever idea as that is a bit bulky. We found a rack was very useful for drying clothes etc on the trip out west in 2015.

I can always snag some Shad 36 side cases as they fit the same mount - that gives me 72 liters plus the tank bag but no top load.

I like the agility of the CB500x. The first model I tried when they came out direly needed a fork brace but the new ones seem to have fixed that, bigger tank as well so some people are getting 500k per tank.

Was hoping to try it on the twists in PA before end of season but that's maybe not on.

The CB500x forum seems almost as snooty .....I like regional sub-forums ( ala Stromtroopers ) and there are many North American and Australian CB500x riders on there, but mod wouldn't even discuss and invited me to leave if I didn't like it.
Must be something in the UK water.m:rolleyes:

Kriega bags are quite pricey but give years of use. I do find them heavy though. I prefer to use givi dry bags as their cost is lower and quality excellent and thief bags are completely waterproof .

It was the profile of the Kriega that is appealing ....Givi is just a round dry bag..I want the flatter bag to get my leg over and I like the look. There are some other low profile but all with covers

Kriega bags are quite pricey but give years of use. I do find them heavy though. I prefer to use givi dry bags as their cost is lower and quality excellent and thief bags are completely waterproof .

My wife and I have 80 liter Givi Dry bags that we put on our back seats secured buy ROK Straps. Lots of room, open nice and wide, have been completely waterproof for us and seem very durable so far. (They have smaller ones as well.)

..Tom

Hey Tom...:hello2:.. I have a couple of the givi 40s. Very durable with a nice wide opening. I have a couple kriegas myself but everytime I pick them up and feel how heavy they are empty.... defeats my purpose of travelling light. The modular system is nice though and they are nicer looking bags than the givis.

Hey Tom...:hello2:.. I have a couple of the givi 40s. Very durable with a nice wide opening. I have a couple kriegas myself but everytime I pick them up and feel how heavy they are empty.... defeats my purpose of travelling light. The modular system is nice though and they are nicer looking bags than the givis.

Here is a shot of my 2015 V-Strom Dl1000 with TWO 80 liter Givi bags on top. Long story that I won't get into here but basically 105 lbs between the two bags and then 38 lbs in the topcase. I carried that from Labrador to Port Perry, the last two days was 2,000 km with all that.

kex7AlK.jpg

..Tom

Re: CB500x ...arriving today

I understand why Honda moved that direction but one key for me is the seat height and the new one is taller with a narrower seat.

It is more ADV oriented but the other bits except the better rear shock don't do much.
The 2018 is rock solid at speed ...the geometry change with 19" front wheel may alter that. No regrets....

The one thing that did appeal for my achy hands - the 2018 not so fun in traffic at very slow speeds for me....if it's moving at above a crawl it's light and agile.

New slipper clutch
Not only does the new slipper clutch help to prevent rear-wheel lockup on downshifts, it also reduces effort at the lever by almost half, helping to reduce rider fatigue particularly in city traffic or on long rides.

I wonder about price change....not listed.

Last edited:

Those are very nice upgrades. I am seriously considering trading my 2013 for the new one.
Yep. For someone like you and I who actually take these offroad the upgrades are great. If you are a road rider the 2018 may be the better bike like @Macdoc mentioned.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

The 2016 through 18 have nice upgrades from the originals.

2019 change is a good move on Honda's part and the narrower seat still lets the height challenged rider still be comfortable.
Vstrom has to watch their pricing if Honda sticks at $7k.

One of the guys on the Vstrom site said if Honda had done it earlier he would have opted out of his Versys 300 for the 2019 CB500x.

the 2019 looks really good! I'll probably trade in my 2016 for one, or if the Yamaha T7 is out, then i'll wait. the 19" front wheel and extra front fork clearance, and slipper clutch are worth it alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsdH1dZKsb4

Oh dang, the new LCD display is really cool too! awsome job for 2019 Honda did, this with some TKC80's, a skid plate, and I don't see why the RR kit would be worth it at an extra $5-7K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ofU9GvYvY

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom