CB500x .....in my near future?? Thinking out loud. | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB500x .....in my near future?? Thinking out loud.

Re: CB500x ....arriving today !!!!

Noticed it early on ...likely will go away. Just chudders a bit at low throttle input

Found the lights pretty decent. Lovely night out. What year is your CBX?

Very nice was seeing 311 km for a 13.75 fillup ...still had two bars left. What happens when it gets to reserve?
Got 20 minutes out ...want to go up to the Forks early if it's not foggy.

I have the 2016 version, with LEDs... I found candlelight to be better :lmao:

Supernam can probably add a better bulb, us LED folks are stuck with the only option being AUX lights. Once I installed the fog lights, it was even more apparent how dim Honda's was.

When It goes to reserve, the bar just starts flashing and the fuel mileage number flashes too with a min distance to fuel up I believe. I haven't noticed a low fuel light. It is nice seeing so much mileage on so little gas, I pushed a single tank to 500km and the numbers were flashing while I was sweating bullets.

I found the lights fine on the 2018. Nice pattern. Bike really settled in today ....past the break in period now and just plain enjoyed it.

Backroads to the Forks then slab home at 120-130 kph. Little left in 6th at that speed on a roll on but dropping to 5th there is. 110-115 is 5400 rpm which is fine and Madstad worked the charm. Very quiet air.

Best for the seat so far is just my MotoSkivvies ....the AirHawk was not a match.

Need something for my hands tho ....lots of choices of muffs out there tho I have heated gloves.

The side cases arrived....wow ...so light and they fit my 15" laptop. :D

Hope to be riding deep into the season this year so ordered some Oxford muffs.

rainseal-tech-handlebar-muffs-ox557.jpg

Have heated glove liners so should be fine. Like that these are waterproof.

[video=youtube;tQj0SEWy-0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQj0SEWy-0s[/video]

Last edited:

When It goes to reserve, the bar just starts flashing and the fuel mileage number flashes too with a min distance to fuel up I believe. I haven't noticed a low fuel light. It is nice seeing so much mileage on so little gas, I pushed a single tank to 500km and the numbers were flashing while I was sweating bullets.
Nice they changed it to something that makes sense for the newer models. I get a number of litres it's been drinking when i get to reserve. usually i can get 2.5L according to the reading. after that, i don't try to push it any further lol

Got the Madstad on ...slick system... really like the wings they have added

R6iXTFEE0E8i31YB0ifAXLQov_pgvvGguYsTdrdto8Lbm00UCu6xpDAcmoJzvCQPjqnPRoHYtclsRh8n44VIlyEVgV8ZqVJYFg6Tj7SWfRzLQJWslLpXGBM3encdyxHCukakeZccq4CPuJxRcpEHPTJnLoaZ-E8wxw6V0nuXYEgOg9IQZBFuGoxXpznbWS7bHEmDQIO_4_TIQzf5jZw3CfnkTeiBjzgwFtPXP0mGzYgKdHiZjMTojn0LIDHQJZCZ18W34Dzs3UnR-H0o1SmgQGZbwDTcK8qGNID6722mFJAEtKAiluChOsA-upJvC6VEUMD7vtDOmS3-0rktYXy0UDnwPbjLhNT02RN2Is3RrYgCsbYeEX87cZcBIkHrDtn_d18SMB64aJ4d_3YjL8fPa_UtghVofEy0sjaL1CUnBULLazibt5d-WrQ9AlY4xswdQf_wZKL1CCtfRqf4A3tl0Wjs9WSngZL0-5etjzV9sBK-FfpBmhdE7WC6XsONvLIWLreEUb_6MrnuE0lP4_D5tQPl-wAJ0EBnT3qxjCVRzCv27rfEEH1UfP6z8x_neulS-4A0NJJrV9U05My6jKc_4JPgWYh-mn3kXPeRXurW0_h-pg68oV8uT_4mHeDNvVQT=w1766-h1258-no

Will have a run once traffic dies down if the rain stays off.

Shad panniers coming tomorrow and got the kickstand foot on as well. Luck fit from the CBF1000.
I've heard really good things about the Madstad on this bike. The only reason I don't have it is because I would break it in no time.

My bike usually looks like this.
e34e9c9c4a4e4dbfa372c55b7e90cfd2.jpg
c8a02c17e138851de8901dbaba5b10cb.jpg

I had a madstad on my old Tiger 1050. It was great unless the wind was in a certain direction then it was like a sail. It was also definitely function over form too.

CB500x could be my next commuter. I see reports of 70-75mpg fuel mileage, and with the added power of 500cc vs 250cc getting similar mileage the bike is very appealing. A bit pricey though. My 250 doesn't handle the Caledon hill very well, and I have to admit that it's carburetor is crude and unreliable technology.

Happy with the outcome of the Shad

qk4udXIiQ0Mbkzav6FO7Zdn68HTXzY6SYC99Ces6x4nmMjSBHcB2AuIxpscbi1YGrWbtgdTho3BRVQmn3Q2eqYgI2qNgfVbaMGanAVF8f-oaZeGT7Cj9ITw8ntO8UJ7Pxb7IOod0aiXhWN3MlBdKd5c9UrnAd9T-5njXQ2mFJc-zvYRwhzF-dPndPqTFFvmZzfDsGdhFhYIrldjJxg38n08t-jhIIjfJHt32FVLbnhD993sSRFA0rqk0VekZXx3HNFOYm9yGvCayBs_AX3TxihXYQtjZHChNiW6c0rQpOdbOAshA4K7v07S0U2AR8WIw-iFH-X1KMa9M_WLF1_8M6-FhfbztOIuuZUZmxvmXq7LfaWLyeAq9b3_zPhMC6wt4K1iTnBAKnsNAcFqz4gGRlAyTXYjnPqF-shgk2l9LkZyXHJU6Sy7H8k-Oglr-m3x34W7fpaYjULqZcc5YH1TxxrPkztBDVhhirOxLkhuZD7BwnbR1dPcN-B3v8iicIxl95pzCJvAu-fmMnnpdvYvs80AjChy630apZGBDWlzsKkjgn4JjUjWHFpYPVirDV5aO0M_gld5RVHB3zuUg_E28nvz-DMVJKZ-qYTaixqHcvdC4RUWN0KcLiaIKov9E_LTq=w1454-h926-no

F0slyvbZmZkpLtqj7TyCRFlSunSTkUlO6qHa-Y5XW86u6JsKDfiU6U-EFKAmOol-O5Aj-AI4EyyGYMEhkYcSElpyiI1JqZ33fD6qJcav7yFCB17jo10c-uEGmRzYVvCIDjaLI07QokDH2N9mlYrgsej38l38ZORx-D-XV_1z4QB8zlvOvNsCoxCykwv8iN9Hved5SZQhKixAezbMFgbP2MYTQgwOdmiqNyTajHh5cAop1AEo4jIi7dd1Y_UXqwpKyzMJq5mz9w4yF5aHeaMb3arCH0l458yRD956uXql7sU-n7ecoeSmx6ohU9bLEECTg5obu1FpL4P-zBB4Bm9jlqCEzu_NgLWBCzM9qKvs6OJsoquFFvFRWPYl5yEXAd8fwyBgZ3Hb9HMxSCrHKGSb2H6TQjQEWrCEeB9J6MQQZA4mMvEkW_m7PQ1jpk6lG6UFicJnBEB8tVpkgXWzCq7mjU4m1fi5OKFdsLsZMq1ikQQHRxQdziCBW9lav5oDWmNjIEk6moGNx0-nAqEC8duMeRPq0uMre5UEo4iX330EzvQwdtHzXO1Qu07RnYlf3WXkegaujR5K460ajHuZNNn7SM8v-I1SpqK7XGKQ58DrL87CEcmMXsRS1LID3abDkEa2=w1228-h1646-no

wH4moOj2xzNKWR0l0oS2bOJ0KSShyDEBTRXq2GwE9tGQrsIYbYvy-zgpmeR_dXUugaMG0zXI52nWeHH0gE0b0En49adKAIMuydO91ebaPZtyhDa2sFYTPDxzg-vamyTvOzc_d_mv9ONVn7wL1QjCKpHkNlivkJMWofS3y5W5mG4W5ELdTETU2a01eZMOeSmcC_alsFqdY7h4DLiUfXhwdNISONUEt4i3LKTpyfpeMWaNqHvITLBRqv0Y8Vb-KV-p5tVKq9U8MYqUbERf7OsTlHh-AHtd9VMJvbihF0mOAXqO1IVkmMagQYkh1yJst6TiEddNzzepBDfecegnFyv85HBDiarAut6dTQWTooeokztLn4-aOREw6bra43LCW38pX0qSv8cNaJgZxzzcp6R1fKJ4Lp1dAY-clZXy4NMxvjouNNjHjTvIsdbX-7Z3QorFrU70KOFjRZlQ8M8UNwGoWJZASTEAN8W8Y6hEUStLcibfE906Pv270Xizw0HMlSXOiLqt5nVYTnhcEAXiqfDEyWPl_BEQ4bMMsMKnSpjJylDYDmhVMAdbCCQnq39eRCX6ne1P7jk_kn9UG4JWyrIJG72jbzCqL9TZmXnMRZarF_OezGYmj7Gb9ZxY0n_Tygyv=w1454-h1262-no

46 litres very useable storage and crazy light weight plus I can add any of the Shad larger cases.

Nice they changed it to something that makes sense for the newer models. I get a number of litres it's been drinking when i get to reserve. usually i can get 2.5L according to the reading. after that, i don't try to push it any further lol

I read somewhere in the big ADVRider thread that it counts up to 2.8 L which is the reserve so you cut it pretty close!

Giving V35's hug really close to the bike and is not as wide, not top load though which is the downside.

I've had V35's of my last 2 ST bikes
great cases, but you're right, top load is a negative
difficult to load on the go, and are not truly watertight

MadStad also on the last 2 bikes
it's a no brainer ST accessory now for me
comfort and adjustably, worth every penny

MadStad also on the last 2 bikes
it's a no brainer ST accessory now for me
comfort and adjustably, worth every penny
Just put a new Madstad on my DL, it really adds a lot of wind protection which is nice this time of year. The downside is it pushes the bike around a lot compated to the OEM windscreen.

I don't mind admitting that the CB500x was in the final running just before I found my ST1300. I could have bought a new CBX for not much more than my 12yr old ST, too! Mind you I would have had to spend a fair chunk of change to farkle it out to the way I wanted it vs my ST only needing a mounting plate for my top box to meet 90% of my wants in a bike. If you're not slabbing it all the time and back roads at 90km/h are your thing than it's tough to beat the 500x. At those speeds and a light throttle hand you'll have no trouble besting 400+km on a tank. The biggest benefit that the 500x has over almost everything is it's weight. I've had to pick up my ST twice now and its not fun! I bet picking the 500x would be a breeze by comparison!

If I was getting out of my ST tomorrow the 500x would be back in the running for my next bike, even with the huge difference in power.

I've had to pick up my ST twice now and its not fun! I bet picking the 500x would be a breeze by comparison!

What i learned after dropping mine once or twice from a standstill in my 1st season is that i can muscle it against its will to fall down.

Haven't thrown off my back yet doing it... but its happened at slow speed, usually around the 3km/h mark, that it might want to suddenly tip due to my bad balance... well... slap that foot down and brace that core cause it's possible to keep it from falling! With an ST i would probably have a broken (insert any leg bone)

The weight really shows ...lighter in twists and just easier to handle - even rolling into the garage.

As far as slab goes it was fine at 130 kph indicated on the 403 yesterday with some left if you drop into 5th.
It's not for two up but for solo you won't lag.

With a top speed of around 110mph, the X isn’t slow and as long as you’ve got it in the right gear it’s always got plenty of pull.
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/honda/honda-cb500x-review

And I think that's the earlier model - they've tweaked it a bit for 2016+

It is rock stable at speed ...better than both the CBF or the Wee which were front end twitchy.

There is a bit of a pull between 4500 and 7k in 3rd and fourth ..nothing like the rush of the CBF1000 but the range is just astonishing on the 500. Even flogging it a bit yesterday was still getting 3.8 L per 100km

It's a finally broken in so wound it out a bit and had some fun. Very confident in corners so might not need the fork brace which the early model I tested was in dire need of.

Even had a grin a few times yesterday - the low weight makes the smaller power plant perform well....and it's got a cool grumble to the exhaust ....nothing like a 1 liter in line four wrung out but still neat.

Waiting on

oxford_rain_seal_tech_handlebar_muffs_750x750.jpg

to complete cool weather set up.

11 tomorrow and sunny -

The 500 was so willing to rev ....I just checked to see if they ever sorted the 700/750 motor.

Nope ...still 6200 rpm hard limiter and ....

It is a technically competent motorcycle that tries to do many things but does none of them well. A mediocre commuter, tourer and lousy sport ride with delusions of adventure, it is a clear example of what happens when you succumb to peer pressure. The NC750X works hard but for all the wrong reasons. It needs to relax, let go of the outcome and maybe come back next summer a changed being.

The market is full of amazing bikes right now, many from Honda, all of which makes me wonder. The CB500X is similar in comfort but more fun, more versatile, nearly as fuel efficient, and costs $1800 less… For me NC platform stands for No Chance.

ouch

http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/09/13/ride-review-honda-nc750x/

Last edited:
The weight really shows ...lighter in twists and just easier to handle - even rolling into the garage.

As far as slab goes it was fine at 130 kph indicated on the 403 yesterday with some left if you drop into 5th.
It's not for two up but for solo you won't lag.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/honda/honda-cb500x-review

And I think that's the earlier model - they've tweaked it a bit for 2016+

It is rock stable at speed ...better than both the CBF or the Wee which were front end twitchy.

There is a bit of a pull between 4500 and 7k in 3rd and fourth ..nothing like the rush of the CBF1000 but the range is just astonishing on the 500. Even flogging it a bit yesterday was still getting 3.8 L per 100km

It's a finally broken in so wound it out a bit and had some fun. Very confident in corners so might not need the fork brace which the early model I tested was in dire need of.

Even had a grin a few times yesterday - the low weight makes the smaller power plant perform well....and it's got a cool grumble to the exhaust ....nothing like a 1 liter in line four wrung out but still neat.

Waiting on

oxford_rain_seal_tech_handlebar_muffs_750x750.jpg

to complete cool weather set up.

11 tomorrow and sunny -

The 500 was so willing to rev ....I just checked to see if they ever sorted the 700/750 motor.

Nope ...still 6200 rpm hard limiter and ....

ouch

http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/09/13/ride-review-honda-nc750x/

I'm guessing those hippo hands don’t play nice with bark busters or similar do they? They always looked like the best solution for cool weather riding.

I've wrestled with my KTM at times when I pick a bad patch of ground to stop on or there’s a bad camber. I've managed to keep it upright so far but that’s only due to playing with weights in the gym every now and then. Regardless....it still leaves me a little sweaty and shaken for a bit. 500 lbs will do that.

I'm guessing those hippo hands don’t play nice with bark busters or similar do they? They always looked like the best solution for cool weather riding.

I've wrestled with my KTM at times when I pick a bad patch of ground to stop on or there’s a bad camber. I've managed to keep it upright so far but that’s only due to playing with weights in the gym every now and then. Regardless....it still leaves me a little sweaty and shaken for a bit. 500 lbs will do that.
They actually work better with bark busters. Without them the wind tends to push the hippo hands into your clutch and brake levers.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

They are not Hippo Hands tho similair principle.
They are a stiffer material made to resist that

[video=youtube;tQj0SEWy-0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQj0SEWy-0s[/video]

will see how they work ...or they go straight back to RevZilla if any issues. I doubt these would fit over Bark Busters. I do have a pair of Tusks I might try and adapt ....just the aluminum bar for the winter.

tus_dflex_blu.jpg

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1036/9533/Tusk-Aluminum-Handguards

Last edited:
will see how they work ...or they go straight back to RevZilla...

Isn't it cost prohibitive to be returning merchandise to RevZilla from Canada?

via Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom