Insurance for M1 rider | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for M1 rider

Out of curiosity, how does this help ? As an example: say motorcycle is registered in OP's parent's name who don't have a motorcycle license at all, but primary driver on the policy is OP who has an M1.

How does this help ? OP will still be considered a rider with no experience, regardless of whether the vehicle is in their name or not, correct ?

The way this helps is because it would allow for the motorcycle to be bundled with other insurance such as other auto, house or group discounts primarily.

For example, I have 5% from two vehicles, 5% from house and 5% from group discount which is 15% that can be applied to any additional vehicle I add to the policy.

So there is no such thing as getting busted for doing this and I know other people that have similar situations with their spouse and children and that includes motorcycles as-well..

There was someone in the industry here a year or so back who’s sole job was investigating suspect Material misrepresentation cases...where daddy owned a Harley he’s ridden all his life and then conveniently buys and insures a Hayabusa mysteriously around the same time his kid gets his M1 and lists the kid as an occasional rider.

Maybe I’ll see if I can dig up the thread tomorrow.

Not sure what agents told you this was cool, but it isn’t, or more likely you wholesale misunderstood what they were suggesting.

Last edited:
There was someone in the industry here a year or so back who’s sole job was investigating suspect Material misrepresentation cases...where daddy owned a Harley he’s ridden all his life and then mysteriously “buys” and insures a Hayabusa mysteriously around the same time his kid gets his M1 and lists the kid as an occasional rider.

Maybe I’ll see if I can dig up the thread tomorrow.

To use that example specifically, you mention that kid with the M1 being an occasional rider where as the assumption is that he is the primary rider in which case I can agree with you there is misrepresentation indeed which qualifies for the policy not to get renewed, not cancelled.... however that doesn't change the examples I gave you about my car nor the commercial/company vehicles and what about spouse?

Pretty much everyone I know that has a spouse has all auto under one persons name with their house so that it can all be grouped together and they can take advantage of group discount as-well depending on where they work with both parties having insurance and despite making claims, never having problems even with at fault accidents.

Not sure what agents told you this was cool, but it isn’t, or more likely you wholesale misunderstood what they were suggesting.

I'm 100% I understood what they were saying because I already have this in place and know other people that have the same situation including ones with motorcycles.

To use that example specifically, you mention that kid with the M1 being an occasional rider where as the assumption is that he is the primary rider in which case I can agree with you there is misrepresentation indeed which qualifies for the policy not to get renewed, not cancelled....

Umm, that's exactly what you told him to do.

You can also have the bike registered in another persons name that is older and be listed as the primary rider

And yes, you can be cancelled for this sort of misrepresentation, there's actually a Supreme Court of Canada case (you can read about it here if you want) that dealt with that and set precedent. More often than not it happens *after* a claim where the insurance company discoverers that what they underwrote (and priced accordingly) wasn't actually reality.

however that doesn't change the examples I gave you about my car nor the commercial/company vehicles and what about spouse?

Commercial/fleet insurance is a whole different ball of wax, but it doesn't apply to this discussion.

Pretty much everyone I know that has a spouse has all auto under one persons name with their house so that it can all be grouped together and they can take advantage of group discount as-well depending on where they work with both parties having insurance and despite making claims, never having problems even with at fault accidents.

Absolutely, but their name still needs to be listed as primary or occasional driver on all the vehicles in the household if they live at your same address so that rates can be assessed depending on who is actually operating the vehicle most of the time. My wife and I have all our vehicles on a single policy, but we are still both listed as operators, she is primary on hers, and I'm primary on mine, and we pay different rates accordingly.

A good example is that if you have kids who live at home, the second one gets a G1/G2/G they also need to be added to your policy as a named driver, occasional or primary, and you pay for such accordingly.

Trying to pull the wool over the eyes of insurance companies to save money is a very high risk endeavour despite what some think.

I would recommend to ANYONE to take the damn course even if it wasn't required for insurance. I thought I knew stuff before taking it but wow, learned a lot of safety and just overall motorcycle knowledge.

I had a broker tell me the same thing about 6 years ago, but I know that it isn't up to the broker to approve/deny a claim. I was even asked if I knew anyone in other cities that I can register my vehicle under...

A broker's (salesperson's) goal is to sell you the product - some bend the rules along the way... some don't.

That particular broker wasn't there for longer than a year - not sure if bending the rules had anything to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom