Insurance for M1 rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance for M1 rider

without passing M1 exit course, I guess no one. If you've passed the course, I know Riders plus does.

without passing M1 exit course, I guess no one. If you've passed the course, I know Riders plus does.

I found another thread with the same answer. It makes it difficult for someone to practice riding a motorcycle before taking the M2 course. So you are basically waiting two months doing nothing to take the course. I will recommend my buddy take the "Get your feet wet" course for a little practice before taking the course.

Thanks

The only way to get M1 insurance without a safety course is to do it with your current provider where you already have car and house insurance. That is literally your only option because nobody will give you insurance otherwise because you are a new rider and you're in the first stage of licensing which most likely means you've never had motorcycle insurance in the first place.

The motorcycle course is 100% worth it from the things you learn to the savings you get for insurance to actually being able to get insurance with every company, despite some offering higher premiums.

I was able to get insurance while having my M1 so my two months were not wasted and the price was the same as if I had my M2 because I had the safety course which not every insurance company was willing to offer.

It all comes down to how you talk to the agent, how awesome of an agent you have and what insurance company you go with.

Good Luck!

Insurers these days give a tough time to riders with experience, no one would want to insure a brand new rider with no experience, no history, especially in the GTA. It's the classic chicken and egg problem, with the solution being taking the M1X course.

Lots to learn from the course even for experienced riders, and loads of fun.

I found another thread with the same answer. It makes it difficult for someone to practice riding a motorcycle before taking the M2 course. So you are basically waiting two months doing nothing to take the course. I will recommend my buddy take the "Get your feet wet" course for a little practice before taking the course.

Thanks

Why would you need to practice? The whole point is to learn over the weekend and finish with an exam.

Why would you need to practice? The whole point is to learn over the weekend and finish with an exam.

The whole idea behind the M1/M2 graduated licensing was to allow new riders to buy a motorcycle and begin riding without the need necessarily to take a course.

But as insurance has become nearly impossible to obtain for M1 riders The entire point behind the license class is becoming increasingly moot as realistically most find they need an M2 completed through a course before being able to get on the road in the end.

m1 exit with learning curves is pretty good if you never been on a motorcycle before. Will cost you round $450

Thanks
Of course to get your M2, need 60 days from your M1. But the minute you pass the course, you can get insurance. Lets say you do it this weekend, you can insure your bike on Monday! Don't worry too much about the skill. They teach you EVERYTHING in the course.

Of course to get your M2, need 60 days from your M1. But the minute you pass the course, you can get insurance. Lets say you do it this weekend, you can insure your bike on Monday! Don't worry too much about the skill. They teach you EVERYTHING in the course.

Not necessarily. Not every insurance company will preemptively recognize an M1 rider who passed the course as as an M2 licence holder.

Some will. Not all.

The whole idea behind the M1/M2 graduated licensing was to allow new riders to buy a motorcycle and begin riding without the need necessarily to take a course.

But as insurance has become nearly impossible to obtain for M1 riders The entire point behind the license class is becoming increasingly moot as realistically most find they need an M2 completed through a course before being able to get on the road in the end.

Sure, but again i have to ask; If you`re already going to the course why *the need* to practice, by design it's made for noobs to learn how to crawl before they walk. Buy the gear, absorb some material and relax until it's time to show up on Saturday.

Sure, but again i have to ask; If you`re already going to the course why *the need* to practice, by design it's made for noobs to learn how to crawl before they walk. Buy the gear, absorb some material and relax until it's time to show up on Saturday.

Because he said it’s gonna be 2 months before his course.

This time of year I’m guessing every M2 course provider is booked full, so they’re probably booking into the fall now.

So indeed someone in this situation who may have bought a bike and fully intends to take the course is still finding themselves nearly uninsurable under the M1...unless you’re willing to commit to a year at an insane facility rate or something like that of course.

Who offers insurance for an M1 rider?
So..Mitchell and Whake is who you want to check out. Alot of the mainstream crowd will tell you that alot of things are impossible but on the contrary, there's always a way.

Mitchell and Whale is where you want to go. I bought an R6 the day before I got my M1. Several insurance companies said it would be impossible to get insurance for it as a new rider. Not only could they not help me, but they went out of their way to let me know that I'd NEVER be able to find insurance. A couple phone calls later and I got it insured for no more than you'd expect to pay as a "G1 Driver" for your first car.

Over 25, M1, approx $400 a month for a SS (R6).

~ After I successfully obtained insurance, I was compelled to call back one of the previous insurance agents who I thought was an ******* and tell him where to go and what he can suck :) ~

One year and 30,000 KM later, no tickets or accidents, it's gone down to $300 a month and I'm expecting another significant drop for other reasons by next summer.

I dont know if life in the insurance world has drastically changed in one year, but I still hear people mentioning Mitchell and Whale today. Great brokers.

Sent from my SM-G955W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Who offers insurance for an M1 rider?
Oh I almost forgot. I did not participate or attend any institution/M1 Course etc. I was told by Mitchell and Whale that attending that would in no way shape or form impact my insurance at that moment in time.

Personally speaking, that is not the avenue I took to learn how to operate/ride a motorcycle. Still, for 98% of people, I'd recommend that they do take officially recognized and approved courses.

Not only as a potential insurance saver but to generally learn about motorcycle safety.

So..Mitchell and Whake is who you want to check out. Alot of the mainstream crowd will tell you that alot of things are impossible but on the contrary, there's always a way.

Mitchell and Whale is where you want to go. I bought an R6 the day before I got my M1. Several insurance companies said it would be impossible to get insurance for it as a new rider. Not only could they not help me, but they went out of their way to let me know that I'd NEVER be able to find insurance. A couple phone calls later and I got it insured for no more than you'd expect to pay as a "G1 Driver" for your first car.

Over 25, M1, approx $400 a month for a SS (R6).

~ After I successfully obtained insurance, I was compelled to call back one of the previous insurance agents who I thought was an ******* and tell him where to go and what he can suck :) ~

One year and 30,000 KM later, no tickets or accidents, it's gone down to $300 a month and I'm expecting another significant drop for other reasons by next summer.

I dont know if life in the insurance world has drastically changed in one year, but I still hear people mentioning Mitchell and Whale today. Great brokers.

If I were to guess, I would say they hooked you up with facility insurance. Given your age (25+), and 600cc SS, $4800 a year is no miracle.

Still not to discount the service at M&W, great brokers no doubt.

Last edited:
Companies that I spoke to when I had my M1 with M2 Safety Course that offered me full coverage as a new rider over the age of 25 with a clean record:

Riders Plus
Echelon Insurance
Mantha Insurance
All State
Statefarm
The Personnel

So there are a lot of choices out there, just pickup the phone, talk to an agent or better yet, find a broker and check your available options.

You can also have the bike registered in another persons name that is older and be listed as the primary rider, something the company that I had my car and house insurance with was willing to do even though technically, the person to whom the bike would be registered to would not have a valid motorcycle license. However... the biggest downside would be that if any accidents/claims were to be made, it would affect both parties, the registered owner and the primary rider.

If I were to guess, I would say they hooked you up with facility insurance. Given your age (25+), and 600cc SS, $4800 a year is no miracle.

Yep, sounds like it.

EVERYONE is entitled to insurance in the province, and the Facility Association is the insurer of last resort for those who can't find an underwriter willing to take their business elsewhere.

So yeah, you can get insurance, you just probably won't like the price. $400/month for a motorcycle you ride maybe 6 months of the year means you're actually effectively paying $800/month.

Those are facility type numbers.

You can also have the bike registered in another persons name that is older and be listed as the primary rider

No... no no no no no. Just NO.

OP, do NOT do this.

It's called material misrepresentation, and it can not only get you cancelled (and good luck ever getting MC insurance ever again with a cancellation on your record) if you get busted for it, but could also result in the underwriter refusing to honour the policy in the case of a lawsuit against you..so you'd be left holding the bag for potentially millions of dollars.

It's called material misrepresentation, and it can not only get you cancelled (and good luck ever getting MC insurance ever again with a cancellation on your record) if you get busted for it, but could also result in the underwriter refusing to honour the policy in the case of a lawsuit against you..so you'd be left holding the bag for potentially millions of dollars.

This was suggested by my insurance company where I have auto and house and I actually spoke to multiple agents about it, neither seemed to suggest it was a bad idea other then should an accident/claim be made, it would be on record for both parties... otherwise it would be completely fine because the important thing would be that you, the primary rider are insured under the policy and that is what is most important.

I do however understand that should a serious claim and lawsuit come forth, there will be people looking into anyway they can to not be liable however refusal of insurance just because the registered owner of the motor vehicle was different then the primary driver who is 100% covered by the insurance policy would never happen.

I'm actually in this situation right now because my car is not in my name due to the fact that I have it registered under my father where we have the house, other car, all bundled together with his group discount and I have full coverage under the policy as the primary driver. Not only that, but I am covered under the policy if I drive someone else's vehicle and get into an accident.

So there is no such thing as getting busted for doing this and I know other people that have similar situations with their spouse and children and that includes motorcycles as-well.

Think about it this way. A parent purchases a vehicle for themselves but has other vehicles already so they barely drive it. Then their friend, relative, or immediate family member wants to drive the car so they let them drive it. That person ends up liking the car a lot so they have the insurance policy changed to reflect that person being the primary driver. Not only is that acceptable, but they are 100% covered under the policy. It is not material misrepresentation to have the original owner still hold the title and registration for the vehicle and for another driver to be the primary driver of that same vehicle. In fact, if you have other people that live in your household and you have multiple vehicles and multiple drivers, you cannot be listed as the primary for all of them because the insurance company will force you to pick one of the vehicles as the primary for the second driver.

EDIT: Also, you know how commercial/company vehicles registration/insurance is setup? The exact same way and in many cases, they are not the same because in many cases, the registered owner of the vehicle and the insured drivers are different people/companies. The reason why I know this very well is because I've had company vehicles for the past 6+ years.

Last edited:
This was suggested by my insurance company where I have auto and house and I actually spoke to multiple agents about it, neither seemed to suggest it was a bad idea other then should an accident/claim be made, it would be on record for both parties... otherwise it would be completely fine because the important thing would be that you, the primary rider are insured under the policy and that is what is most important.

I do however understand that should a serious claim and lawsuit come forth, there will be people looking into anyway they can to not be liable however refusal of insurance just because the registered owner of the motor vehicle was different then the primary driver who is 100% covered by the insurance policy would never happen.

I'm actually in this situation right now because my car is not in my name due to the fact that I have it registered under my father where we have the house, other car, all bundled together with his group discount and I have full coverage under the policy as the primary driver. Not only that, but I am covered under the policy if I drive someone else's vehicle and get into an accident.

So there is no such thing as getting busted for doing this and I know other people that have similar situations with their spouse and children and that includes motorcycles as-well.

Think about it this way. A parent purchases a vehicle for themselves but has other vehicles already so they barely drive it. Then their friend, relative, or immediate family member wants to drive the car so they let them drive it. That person ends up liking the car a lot so they have the insurance policy changed to reflect that person being the primary driver. Not only is that acceptable, but they are 100% covered under the policy. It is not material misrepresentation to have the original owner still hold the title and registration for the vehicle and for another driver to be the primary driver of that same vehicle. In fact, if you have other people that live in your household and you have multiple vehicles and multiple drivers, you cannot be listed as the primary for all of them because the insurance company will force you to pick one of the vehicles as the primary for the second driver.

Out of curiosity, how does this help ? As an example: say motorcycle is registered in OP's parent's name who don't have a motorcycle license at all, but primary driver on the policy is OP who has an M1.

How does this help ? OP will still be considered a rider with no experience, regardless of whether the vehicle is in their name or not, correct ?

Back
Top Bottom