Finally getting my zx6r tuned | GTAMotorcycle.com

Finally getting my zx6r tuned

arogal

As the title states, I am finally getting around to tuning my '09 ZX6R. It has 25,000km on it with a M4 GP slip on (deletes cat) and a Power Commander IV. I have the off the shelf map on the bike a the moment from Power Commander, but its still running a bit lean and I know the power band and A/F ratio can be smoothed out. Made my mind up and am getting it tuned by "Speedlab Performance & Tuning". He offers a really unique service and has the dyno jet in the back of a trailer so he can drive to meet YOU for a tune. He has been tuning for a long time, but finally got around to opening his own business. Seems extremely passionate about his work and wants to make a name or himself as he's a new kid on the block in comparison to Pro6, Riders, and Champion. Did my oil with Motul 7100 last week (new filter also), and he is putting in a K&N Filter and NGK Standard Copper Spark plugs at a VERY reasonable price before he throws my bike on the Dyno.
Anyone on the forum used his services before?
I know what it feels like to drive a car after tuning (STI), but have never experienced what a bike feels like before and after. I am really excited! I'll throw up my results once the tune is done.
Safe riding!

Out of curiosity, how much does such a tune-up cost ? Roughly speaking. A range would be fine, you don't have to give the exact price :)

this is the guy who was setup for the weekend at Ride For Sight
made a decent amount of dough from the Harley boys
$50 for one pull to show you your Hog that you have 40g's tied up in
makes maybe 100 BHP :) but it's all about the torque!

looked like a really nice setup

Out of curiosity, how much does such a tune-up cost ? Roughly speaking. A range would be fine, you don't have to give the exact price :)
Did you have a power commander, or did you just want to flash your ECU? If you want to tune your bike through the Power Commander piggy back, he charges about $300-400 for a tune, which seems to be an average price. If you just want to tune your bike this is what your looking at, but if you are in a similar situation you will be looking at about $600-$650:
  • Air Filter and Spark Plugs $125
  • Oil change+filter (did myself) $80....for all of you that didn't know, there isa place in Burlington that sells 4L of Motul 7100 for $59.99 :)
  • Labour for Filter and Oil change 1hr...so I'm guessing around $100
  • Tune $300-$400
Now, if you don't have a Power Commander and want to flash your ECU, jsflashtune (look him up on instagram) uses his services and seems to do amazing work. If I didn't already have a PCV, I would go that route

Last edited:
Did you have a power commander, or did you just want to flash your ECU? If you want to tune your bike through the Power Commander piggy back, he charges about $300-400 for a tune, which seems to be an average price. If you just want to tune your bike this is what your looking at, but if you are in a similar situation you will be looking at about $600-$650:
  • Air Filter and Spark Plugs $125
  • Oil change+filter (did myself) $90....for all of you that didn't know, there isa place in Burlington that sells 4L of Motul 100 for $59.99 :)
  • Labour for Filter and Oil change 1hr...so I'm guessing around $100
  • Tune $300-$400
Thanks a lot! Good to know. I'd consider a tune-up someday down the line.

I don't have a power commander.

this is the guy who was setup for the weekend at Ride For Sight
made a decent amount of dough from the Harley boys
$50 for one pull to show you your Hog that you have 40g's tied up in
makes maybe 100 BHP :) but it's all about the torque!

looked like a really nice setup
Yep this is the guy! I messaged him on instagram Monday night around 11pm and we were messaging each other for a solid hour. It means a lot to me for someone to go out of their way at that time of night. He answered all my questions in great detail and was very interested in what I am looking to get out of the tune (street, track, commuting, etc). I was blown away by his level of customer service. Can't wait to get my baby on the dynojet.

I recently used JSFlashtune to 'flash tune' the ECU on my Fz8. He works with the guy from Speedlab for use of the dyno. JSFlashtune does the ECU tuning route, while the guy from SpeedLab does tuning through application of PowerCommanders, etc..

I'm happy. Nothing bad to say. It took all of maybe 2.5 hrs to tune. It was done on one of the hottest days so after 13 pulls and the tune complete I left with a dyno chart that showed a 5hp drop in peak HP. lol.

Places like Pro6, RC or Champion tune for national racers and riders who want the absolute best out of their motorcycles. If I want the best bang for my dollar, I would go with the big shops. Nothing against the little guy, it's just that the big shops can and will provide a better service IMO.

Places like Pro6, RC or Champion tune for national racers and riders who want the absolute best out of their motorcycles. If I want the best bang for my dollar, I would go with the big shops. Nothing against the little guy, it's just that the big shops can and will provide a better service IMO.
Yup.. no more Olive Press its Mc Donalds from now on. Feed the fat cats.
Btw how do the little guys get big? Eat more mcD's ? its a vicious cycle hmm.

Last edited:
From previous experience tuning my STI the "big shops" only really cared and put effort into tuning race cars (just like you've said race bikes). They didn't seem to care about customers like me where they tune something once or twice with basic maps that they have laying around to jus throw on a vehicle and be done with it. I'm going to give this guy a shot as he seems experienced and really wants to make the bike run as well it can because he is currently building a business and wants his name out there.
Nothing personal, it's just how I've experienced tuning in the car industry.... I can't see the motorcycle industry being any different.
Thanks for you recommendation tho :D

Save your money and go with a oem air filter. More often than not they flow better and for longer. Traps better as well.

Save your money and go with a oem air filter. More often than not they flow better and for longer. Traps better as well.
Too late, I just got mine in today :(
There was a toll on the ZX6R forum, and 80% said K&N so I hopped on the band wagon.

Matt at Speedlab Performance and Tuning was awesome! He was extremely precise and patient with his tuning, and not to mention his level of service was over the top. I told him I wanted somewhat of a conservative tune as I do commute on the bike. I wasn't necessarily looking for the highest #'s, but was more concerned about having a strong motor with a smooth linear power curve and AF ratio. The bike only gained 3whp from the baseline map of the power commander website, but it was not running nice...it was running very lean, my spark plugs and filter that were pulled out before fresh ones for the tune were disgusting. Although I only gained 3whp, he managed to shave of 2.5 seconds from 80km to 210km in a 4th gear pull from the baseline map. He explained that #'s aren't always everything because if the bike isn't running smooth and strong, it won't pull the way it should. The power is now widely distributed throughout the power curve, and the AF ratio is fairly flat. He did put together another map for me that put out a tad higher #'s, but it will be running more rich and the fuel economy won't be as good.
It was nice that all of his pulls had "zero" smoothing so he could really see what was going on (this dyno chart is smoothed to 3....my previous charts on my STI usually had to be smoothed to 5 to get all the finer bumps out). He also did 3-4 runs for throttle response to reduce the jerky/snappy throttle between the 4-7000rpm range.
Over time, if I don't feel the bike is running as well as it should, he offers free service down the road, which most people don't.
Labour for spark plugs & air filter, before tune and 14 runs on the dyno (and my new map) cost me $550 taxes in. Very pleased with the results.
F5ccD5H.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom