Need information about buying a New/Used Motorcycle. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need information about buying a New/Used Motorcycle.

SentsunaKiryu

Hey guys,
Hope all are riding good and safe this season.

I have completed my M1 exit course this July and will be getting my M2 in the end of August.

I am planning to buy a Motorcycle next season Exactly in the Month of April, 2019. I know I am asking way in advance. But the information you guys will provide me will get me going in my pursuit of my happiness.

My questions are as follows:

1. How can I ride my Motorcycle from showroom to my house. (Not literally) I mean what are the steps/process I need to follow in order to have all the things (Insurance, Permit & Plate) in my hand at the time of taking the delivery?

2. So I have short listed some motorcycle for my first buy.
a. Honda Rebel 300/500 ABS [New]
b. Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 [New]
c. Yamaha R6 2010-16 Model [Used]
After a year of research I found that Insurance is a huge ache in the butt. Can you guys suggest me some good brokers who I should approach when buying an Insurance. I know one that is Riderplus. I have checked online and got a quote of 194/month for both Sixty2 and Rebel. Is it possible it may go lower than that? I live in Markham. Also what are thing I should ask/know to be included in/about my Insurance ?

3. What is a suggested place to buy a new motorcycle - Is it the Maker’s Showroom or an Independent Dealer?

4. Downtown Motorcycle Theft - What precautions should I be talking before I buy one?

Thanks,
Highly Excited/Enthusiastic brown Rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seeing as you brought up insurance and appear to be sensitive to the cost of that
scratch the R6 off your list

as your other 2 options are new bikes
the dealer will prepare the bike and have it ready to ride home

so price out insurance
go make your bike deal
give insurance company the VIN
forward to dealer the insurance binder
make an appointment to pick up bike and ride home

seeing as you brought up insurance and appear to be sensitive to the cost of that

so price out insurance
go make your bike deal

Thanks for the Info JavaFan,
Quick question - So anything Sports above 500cc will cost more on the Insurance ? There is no chance I would get a decent insurance premium on Sports bike ?

so price out insurance
go make your bike deal

And what about the Permit and the Plate ?

you don't mention your age
but it probably doesn't matter
expect to be 4-5K/year or worse
for a new rider on 600cc sport bike

dealer does the permit/plate

you don't mention your age
but it probably doesn't matter
expect to be 4-5K/year or worse
for a new rider on 600cc sport bike

dealer does the permit/plate

I am 25 now will complete it in April next year. And yeah I got it. I need to have a M and a good years of Exp to make the premium go down on a sports.

Thanks.

You should do your M2 exit course with a Motorcycle Safety course so that you could save a really big chunk on insurance because they will technically consider you as having 1 year experience upon completion, plus the things you learn there are very important and worth every penny.

I am 25 now will complete it in April next year. And yeah I got it. I need to have a M and a good years of Exp to make the premium go down on a sports.

Being that you are 25, you are now eligible for a better rate and you'd be looking at your next major decrease when you're 30.

The main things they are going to be looking at is how long you've had your license and how long you've had actual insurance on a motorcycle which will determine your premium.

I got a quote for 3500/year (Full Coverage) for a brand new 2016 GSXR with 600cc from Dalton Timmis with a clean record and I still have my M2 (1 year experience) and am only a year older then you. You may want to give them a try but remember to use a broker so you get the best price. Keep in mind that you can also look at other 500-600CC bikes that are not super-sports so you can get an even better price if all you're really after is more CC.

You should do your M2 exit course with a Motorcycle Safety course so that you could save a really big chunk on insurance because they will technically consider you as having 1 year experience upon completion, plus the things you learn there are very important and worth every penny.

Being that you are 25, you are now eligible for a better rate and you'd be looking at your next major decrease when you're 30.

The main things they are going to be looking at is how long you've had your license and how long you've had actual insurance on a motorcycle which will determine your premium.

I got a quote for 3500/year (Full Coverage) for a brand new 2016 GSXR with 600cc from Dalton Timmis with a clean record and I still have my M2 (1 year experience) and am only a year older then you. You may want to give them a try but remember to use a broker so you get the best price. Keep in mind that you can also look at other 500-600CC bikes that are not super-sports so you can get an even better price if all you're really after is more CC.

Thanks Nevo for sharing your Exp, Appreciate it.

The time when I’ll buy my first bike my license will be 8 months old and it would be my first ever everything in Canada(Motorcycle, Insurane etc..) so I guess that would increase my premium rates.

Yeah, Ultimately I want to ride GSXR1300 Hayabusa so for that I need to build my repo with these Insurance companies. That is why I am confused, should I get a cruise for now or should I buy a sports and pay more premium. Though it doesn’t effect that much if I’ll be paying $250/month on a 600cc sports now.

Thanks Nevo for sharing your Exp, Appreciate it.

The time when I’ll buy my first bike my license will be 8 months old and it would be my first ever everything in Canada(Motorcycle, Insurane etc..) so I guess that would increase my premium rates.

Yeah, Ultimately I want to ride GSXR1300 Hayabusa so for that I need to build my repo with these Insurance companies. That is why I am confused, should I get a cruise for now or should I buy a sports and pay more premium. Though it doesn’t effect that much if I’ll be paying $250/month on a 600cc sports now.

Brand new rider, 25 year old with no insurance history. No M. Forget about supersports till you're 30, unless you're willing to pay 8-10k per year for insurance.

You'd be able to get naked bikes 650cc, but probably will be expensive right away without any history.

Best to stick with 250-300cc sport bikes or cruisers, if you want something bigger.

Last edited:
Brand new rider, 25 year old with no insurance history. No M. Forget about supersports till you're 30, unless you're willing to pay 8-10k per year for insurance.

You'd be able to get naked bikes 650cc, but probably will be expensive right away without any history.

Best to stick with 250-300cc sport bikes or cruisers, if you want something bigger.

Yeah, Thanks for the advice I would go for either Rebel 500 or Sixty2 both are easy on premium at this point in time.

anyone know how they are treating the Ninja 400?
if it's the same insurance rate as a 250/300
it would be a good buy

Yeah, Thanks for the advice I would go for either Rebel 500 or Sixty2 both are easy on premium at this point in time.

Also I would recommend not trusting online quotes for motorcycles. In my experience they're always significantly off (lower than actual). TD, M&W, DT ... Tried them all, and then called in, the quotes were off. In some cases, even though I got a decent online quote, they refused to insure the bike.

TD is absolutely the worse IME, especially now that they're outsourcing their insurance agents.

I prefer buying used bikes. Lots of good deals to be had, if you time it right.

Last edited:
anyone know how they are treating the Ninja 400?
if it's the same insurance rate as a 250/300
it would be a good buy

Why do I feel like Ninja 400 and R3 pretty much looks similar ! But yeah if the premium is at par with 250/300 then it’s a good buy.

Are you a completely new rider or just here in Canada? If you favor the sport side of things, go with a standard or sporty smaller cc bike, if a totally new rider. I always recommend a used bike as your first. Cheaper and if something happens, it cost less in $$$ and heartache.

Are you a completely new rider or just here in Canada? If you favor the sport side of things, go with a standard or sporty smaller cc bike, if a totally new rider. I always recommend a used bike as your first. Cheaper and if something happens, it cost less in $$$ and heartache.

Just here in Canada, I have rode before and have a good experience of Crowded cities and Law-less Highways. But since things are completely North here I ha e to consider what you have said as well. I believe I understand the rules and regulations of Canadian Roads.

Thanks.

Sixty2 looks like a sweet ride!
but I swore I'd never buy another motor that has a rubber belt cam drive, recommend you investigate the replacement interval and cost to replace that part up front so there are no surprises.

regarding insurance. i think its best to call rather do it online. give all your information and asked for a confirmation number/ rep name and ask if they would honour the quote after shopping around. later

Finally decided to go for New 2018 Vulcan S ABS SE - the Least quote I got is 196/mo. I think I have to live with that for a year or two. And Thanks guys for all your advice and Infos. Touring begins in June, 2019 - Ottawa -> Montreal -> Quebec City -> Toronto

Finally decided to go for New 2018 Vulcan S ABS SE - the Least quote I got is 196/mo. I think I have to live with that for a year or two. And Thanks guys for all your advice and Infos. Touring begins in June, 2019 - Ottawa -> Montreal -> Quebec City -> Toronto

Buying it next year?

neat bike
haven't ridden one but the reviews are strong
cruiser ergos with ninja 650 drive train

Back
Top Bottom