Street Legal Yamaha YZ250 2-stroke? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Street Legal Yamaha YZ250 2-stroke?

Msowsun

There was a guy selling a Street Legal 2013 Yamaha YZ250 2-stroke. (says it's sold now)

He said he added the needed equipment, got it plated and then took it all off.

Too bad, because it would make a very unique dual sport, street machine if it was ready to go.

_yz250.JPG

Last edited:
Likely "slipped" it by a Service Ontario clerk that wasn't familiar with the regs. MOST police officers wouldn't know the difference as long as it has insurance and plates. IF he removed the headlight, and functioning tail light, that could present an issue, for the new owner.

I know of a "sketchy" off brand ATV dealer, that put street tires on an ATV, and convinced the clerk at the local Service Ontario location that because it had headlights, turn signals, and a horn. That it was "Street Legal" got it blue plated for the road. Took it by trailer to Port Dover and decided to drive it into town as such. The first OPP officer he came across, KNEW better, they seized the plates, and made him go get his trailer...lmao

There was a guy selling a Street Legal 2013 Yamaha YZ250 2-stroke. (says it's sold now)

He said he added the needed equipment, got it plated and then took it all off.

Too bad, because it would make a very unique dual sport, street machine if it was ready to go.

View attachment 39478

Likely "slipped" it by a Service Ontario clerk that wasn't familiar with the regs. MOST police officers wouldn't know the difference as long as it has insurance and plates. IF he removed the headlight, and functioning tail light, that could present an issue, for the new owner.

I know of a "sketchy" off brand ATV dealer, that put street tires on an ATV, and convinced the clerk at the local Service Ontario location that because it had headlights, turn signals, and a horn. That it was "Street Legal" got it blue plated for the road. Took it by trailer to Port Dover and decided to drive it into town as such. The first OPP officer he came across, KNEW better, they seized the plates, and made him go get his trailer...lmao

So ATV's are not street legal at all?

I remember seeing the Law enforcement using ATVs along the Scarborough bluffs many years ago. (about 10?) The LEO was actually riding on the sidewalk near the Guild Inn. But I have seen many ATVs on the road in rural areas.

several municipalities have bylaws allowing ATV use on public roads
LE does what LE wants
just for fun
see what happens when you ask them to get off the sidewalk

several municipalities have bylaws allowing ATV use on public roads
LE does what LE wants
just for fun
see what happens when you ask them to get off the sidewalk

I haven't seen the ATVs since that one time over 10yrs ago. Ah, ofcourse there is probably a bylaw up in cottage country etc.

thanks

Can tell you the obstacles that make it 'difficult'
One the VIN has to show up in their system as that relates to the emissions certification.
Two the tires need to be stamped DOT and not marked "for competition use only in USA and Canada"
Three you need to get creative to power a parking light on a machine that doesn't have a battery.

I had a blue plated 300 xc w that I briefly used as a supermoto that would have been ok for the track,but was difficult to ride in traffic. Maybe the new injected 2stroke bikes would be ok.

No lack of torque on a 300 and you can somewhat adjust the powervalve on a ktm 2stroke.But it was throttle control that was touchy,like very responsive at higher revs when it was in the powerband.Great for the track with shorter straight lines.

Back 8ish yrs ago you could plate just about any dirtbike with a blue plate so long as you put on the proper lights/signals/etc but that stopped. So yes a YZ250 could be blue plated.

guessing the complete lack of torque anywhere outside the narrow power band

I had a 300EXC as well. Actually, it has a very broad powerband and LOTS of it. I spent most of my time in 3rd gear in the woods and was never without enough oomph. Even pulling arrows with a broken shift lever it would start in 3rd gear without much clutch slipping.

It's really the perfect displacement for recreational off road riding, as long as the rider has some experience.

I can see how it would be tiring to ride on-road as the throttle response is a bit abrupt and the vibes would wear you out.

Back
Top Bottom