Buying an incomplete project bike? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying an incomplete project bike?

Update: bike is not running. Looks like some electical issues. Seller has been pretty good with responding to my many queries. My brother is still leaning towards taking the drive...and the chance on it.
Get a compression test first, it might save you a trip.

Update #2: if anyone is interested in that HD, be my guest.
So my brother, being younger, will ask my advice, then do whatever he wants anyway.
He went and picked up a $700 xs650 project.
I'll probably be looking for parts and advice on here.
Hell, I may get him to join and start a build thread.
960f8e2df92179196d79462728538d35.jpg

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Update #2: if anyone is interested in that HD, be my guest.
So my brother, being younger, will ask my advice, then do whatever he wants anyway.
He went and picked up a $700 xs650 project.
I'll probably be looking for parts and advice on here.
Hell, I may get him to join and start a build thread.
960f8e2df92179196d79462728538d35.jpg

Yikes. I think the harley project could have actually turned out cash positive, I don't have such high hopes for the XS.

Yikes. I think the harley project could have actually turned out cash positive, I don't have such high hopes for the XS.
Tbh he always liked the xs.
Probably let a dozen get away over the last decade.
He's fully aware this is a money pit.

That's scary! Step one should probably be to locate a motorcycle mechanic who is willing to road certify it with the chopped frame converted to hardtail, find out everything it will need to safety first otherwise he might just be wasting time and money, I suspect it is going to need a "Structural Inspection Certificate" in addition to a safety at a type 6 motor vehicle inspection station.

Has he ever ridden a hardtail? Is very unique, will ride like a lumber wagon and always be one of the slowest, most unstable motor vehicles on the road.

Project bikes are fun if you understand what you're getting into. Firstly you're not going to save any money. The journey to completion is long and expensive, sifting through a sea of poor quality aftermarket parts and original part salesmen who demand Barrett-Jackson prices. If you're so inclined, the fun is in the hunt and the people you meet getting to completion. If you're looking for a good deal though, get something complete and running. There's so much out there and it's worth spending the extra few dollars on something good.

@boyoboy my back hurts just looking at the hardtail
@trials I warned him, but...and his speed demon days are behind him. Low and slow is now his style. I figure it may be just a toy to Tim's and back.
@Lowrider tell me how you really feel! Lol. One thing I definitely appreciate about you is you are no bs
@Roadghost I think this is more about the build for him than anything else.
Storytime:
When he was 14 I took him to work with me at a grocery store. He worked in my department and same shifts. He saved up some coin and bought a 1987 Mazda B2200 during the mini truck boom. Came home from work one day and torsion(sp?) bars were cranked down, and rear leafs were flipped.
Came home another day and the cab and bed were on the driveway with the floors missing. He was doing a body drop. Week after he bought a welder and taught himself to weld and put new floors in. He went on to add hydraulic suspension and a hard top convertible conversion........
This guy likes to get his hands dirty and work. Trial and error is ok for him.

One of my early posts on this forum was asking for help with an oil change. Yes, we are brothers.

@boyoboy my back hurts just looking at the hardtail
@trials I warned him, but...and his speed demon days are behind him. Low and slow is now his style. I figure it may be just a toy to Tim's and back.
@Lowrider tell me how you really feel! Lol. One thing I definitely appreciate about you is you are no bs
@Roadghost I think this is more about the build for him than anything else.
Storytime:
When he was 14 I took him to work with me at a grocery store. He worked in my department and same shifts. He saved up some coin and bought a 1987 Mazda B2200 during the mini truck boom. Came home from work one day and torsion(sp?) bars were cranked down, and rear leafs were flipped.
Came home another day and the cab and bed were on the driveway with the floors missing. He was doing a body drop. Week after he bought a welder and taught himself to weld and put new floors in. He went on to add hydraulic suspension and a hard top convertible conversion........
This guy likes to get his hands dirty and work. Trial and error is ok for him.

One of my early posts on this forum was asking for help with an oil change. Yes, we are brothers.

Low and slow is how the XS was originally designed, now it will be slower.

Back
Top Bottom