Buying an incomplete project bike? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying an incomplete project bike?

There is a reason he stopped doing his project.
You will find out after you buy it.
Parts for older bikes can become impossible to get. Is your bike one of them?

It's not all there. You will have to buy parts for that bike. A lot of parts for that bike.

Not cost effective in my mine.

There is a reason he stopped doing his project.
You will find out after you buy it.
Parts for older bikes can become impossible to get. Is your bike one of them?

It's not all there. You will have to buy parts for that bike. A lot of parts for that bike.

Not cost effective in my mine.

I think your right but I also think it depends on the bike.

Just finishing off another RZ starting with a rolling chassis. Built the motor from scratch as 95 % of the parts are still available, and I got NOS Cylinders and a head from the UK.

Compare that to the RM370 I’m doing for a friend. They were only made for 2 years, 40 years ago and nothing is available.

You should be able to pick up a 2005 to 2008 shadow for $3000
I paid $2300 for my 98, 8 years ago.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

For sure! However I want the RS which was a very short run in Canada and is the closest to a Harley 883 which I REALLY want but can’t justify the price.

For sure! However I want the RS which was a very short run in Canada and is the closest to a Harley 883 which I REALLY want but can’t justify the price.

Keep your eyes open on CL for 883s in NY. Take into account the exchange rate etc. But, they can be found cheap. Pretty easy to import and easy enough to work on. Parts sources are easy to come by. Again sourced from the US. I can even check out any of interest and take some pics/vids and provide feedback. Heck, doesn’t have to be a HD but, I know Sportsters fairly well. Differences in model changes over the years.

Also, what they list for and what they sell for are two different things.

Maybe more hassle than what it’s worth. Up to you.

Google XL Forum and poke around there for a bit.

Just like anything, there are easy and cost effective parts and then there is the little known and costly bits that could sink the whole idea.

For Sportsters, the ignition module can be an expensive replacement and many think it’s a fuel problem, vacuum leak or something like that.

Anyways, carry on and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry @mimico_polak but I'm going to hijack the thread for a bit...
My brother just messaged me. He wants me to get ready so we can go pick up this bike>>>>
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...ey-nightster-custom-bobber/1372184987?dc=true

I have confirmed that it is the right price. But for some reason I'm apprehensive. Any thoughts?

nice bike! I notice 1 pic is with different bars....also glad to see the motorcycle hasn’t seen snow...

and WTF am I not seeing these prices on normal sportsters!? I’d buy a clean 883 for that. I see nothing above 2010 for anything close to that....frak!

Last edited:
Did you notice that it is in Leamington? Tbh I don't even know where tf that is! Lol. My brother says near Sarnia. I said that's what? 4 hours away? He says tell the guy we'll be there in 2! Lol
Do we have any members here close to that bike?

Sorry @mimico_polak but I'm going to hijack the thread for a bit...
My brother just messaged me. He wants me to get ready so we can go pick up this bike>>>>
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...ey-nightster-custom-bobber/1372184987?dc=true

I have confirmed that it is the right price. But for some reason I'm apprehensive. Any thoughts?

Wtf, a 5 yo HD for $3500??? Bring earplugs, it's going to be loud.

Pics seem to have been taken over time. As MP says, bars are different in one pic and pipes are different in another.

My brother says near Sarnia. I said that's what? 4 hours away? He says tell the guy we'll be there in 2! Lol
Do we have any members here close to that bike?

You should be so lucky. It's much closer to Windsor than Sarnia.

Wtf, a 5 yo HD for $3500??? Bring earplugs, it's going to be loud.

Pics seem to have been taken over time. As MP says, bars are different in one pic and pipes are different in another.
That's what I was thinking. Why so cheap? He does say priced to sell, but weary of what his real motivation is....

You should be so lucky. It's much closer to Windsor than Sarnia.
I'll be napping in the passenger seat. My job will be to take it for a test ride and lift it into the back of the Ram. Then feed me a sub and let me nap on the way back.

That's what I was thinking. Why so cheap? He does say priced to sell, but weary of what his real motivation is....

If it’s clean that’s a steal JB! Take it and run!

Is it an 883 with a 1200 upgrade? Or stock 1200?

enjoy the nap!

Update: bike is not running. Looks like some electical issues. Seller has been pretty good with responding to my many queries. My brother is still leaning towards taking the drive...and the chance on it.

Update: bike is not running. Looks like some electical issues. Seller has been pretty good with responding to my many queries. My brother is still leaning towards taking the drive...and the chance on it.

Not at all surprised. That price seemed awfully low.

Yeah. He said if it was running he would have listed at $6500 at least
Not at all surprised. That price seemed awfully low.

Stage 5? didn't know there was a stage 5
1250 is an after-market kit I believe
not necessarily a bad thing if it's done right
just a guess, but I'm gonna say the motor is trashed
and that exhaust is unaceptable

Yeah. He said if it was running he would have listed at $6500 at least

Even at $6500 that’s a hell of a discount from anything local in terms of 883.

whats a fair price for a fairly recent (let’s say 2010 and up) sportster 883?

Back
Top Bottom