Buying an incomplete project bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying an incomplete project bike?

LoL That's about right if you put it like that....good point of view.

Thanks guys for the input, it's definitely gotten me something to think about. I can buy the complete bike anywhere from 4-4.5k and this guy's asking 2k for the bike in pieces...not sure it's worth it, especially since his email to me is 'let me go find all the parts and put it together if you're coming' ... especially after all your comments that's def put up a red flag!

Thank you again.

I'd be out without a second thought at 50%. As someone said before, unless it is the only way to buy the bike you want somewhere around 10% is not a bad starting point. I doubt I would go over 25% on a bike in pieces. If it ran but was cosmetically incomplete, I might be in at 50% and ride it naked.

I'd be out without a second thought at 50%. As someone said before, unless it is the only way to buy the bike you want somewhere around 10% is not a bad starting point. I doubt I would go over 25% on a bike in pieces. If it ran but was cosmetically incomplete, I might be in at 50% and ride it naked.

Makes sense...I can tell you that this bike is not rare in any way shape or form...just not as common as other bikes...but still not rare.

Makes sense...I can tell you that this bike is not rare in any way shape or form...just not as common as other bikes...but still not rare.
I've done a few projects over the years, it's not for the feint of heart.

First, I've never met a project that wasn't a mess to start, that's why it was disassembled. Next, parts will be missing and unless you know they bike intimately you won't know till it's time to reassemble -- then finding/buying a pile of odd parts on ebay gets expensive fast. Finally, be prepared to spend more than a good used runner, it rarely ends up any other way.

I still do the odd project, I just do it differently. I always buy a parts bike to match the project, that gives me most of the missing parts, some spares, and a reference sample for reassembly.

Here's an example of a beauty I'm doing right now. It's a one owner garage queen 75 GL1000 Goldwing. I bought it for a friend, it certified as it was. The bike was a bit fugly with it's Windjammer, tail rack, Calfina hard bags, heel/toe and floor board setup. Taking it back to stock looked simple, doff the fairing, bags, and put back the front pegs and shifter so I didn't buy a parts bike.

1) Internals and chrome ring for nacelle $100 (needed after removing Vetter fairing)
2) Footpegs $110
3) Shifter $90
4) Right control $140
5) Stems for returning signals to original location $70
6) Shoulder bolts for rear grab rail, $30
7) Rear grab rail $200 (needed to return signals after removing bags).

I'm at $750 already because I didn't think I needed a parts bike for this one - my bad, I could have picked up a parts bike for $750. Id have one more of everything AND I could polish and paint parts with minimal down time on the running unit.

The thing about a project bike, if you want to continue the work, is you have to trust the other peoples work

On the bike's I've worked on, I rip them apart to the last nut and bolt, and I've found enough shoddy work to make that a non-negotiable rule for me

Keep in mind the price of new bearings, seals, chain, sprockets, gaskets, tires, maybe cables, bulbs, etc.

OP where are you - no comments ???
Post #22 was his last reply.
And right about now he's probably taking his lunch break at work.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

It’s all been pretty much said.

You go down this rabbit hole rationalizing you are picking up this diamond in the rough for cheap with the best intentions. It won’t take much. I’ll do things myself. I’ll learn a few things. Gain some appreciation and have a little something to be proud of.

And there are folks that have the motivation and dedication to see things through.

But there is no kidding anyone. That cheap project is just the entry fee. It will eventually cost you more than buying a complete bike. It’s just “making payments” along the journey of doing the work.

Many have hobbies that cost us discretionary funds and time. It’s up to the OP if it’s time and money well spent.

Just a word of caution there are many abandoned projects from people that had the same great idea. Do they regret it? Some do. Some don’t.

There is some excellent advise to avoid some of the pitfalls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It also depends on how ethical the seller is. I'm about to off load my project ns400r and I have no problem of telling the seller what it needs, parts still needed, and where to find them.

Unless it's a 1953 Indian or something equally unique, a basket case bike is worth about 10 cents on the dollar.
There is usually a very bad reason that a motorcycle was completely disassembled and left that way, if you need a basket of parts buy it. If you want a complete motorcycle :/ buy one that is fully assembled if not at least running because then it is in a state where you can assess what is required.

project phase lol nobody ever posts pics of their basket case but they might show you how it looked when it was new.

The general rule of buying non commodity things on speculation is to pay 10% of the value.

You don't know when you'll sell it or for how much, cost of storage etc.

A hard nosed business person would look at he garage space that will be tied up for a year and say "I could rent that out for a grand."

If it's a Brough Superior or Vincent it will have value when finished but part sourcing won't be like a CB 750. A bike restored by an unknown mechanic won't carry the same provenance as one done professionally by one of the big name big dollar companies.

What one time tools will you have to buy and learn to use?

If you're a mechanic you would know that just because a part fits into the space it doesn't mean it's in right. If it's an internal part put in wrong you find out when the motor seizes and you get to do everything over again.

The money you lose in a restoration of a bike that won't be your last is money you won't have to spend on the right one when it comes along.

There are exceptions. I saw a car (TR-6 IIRC) restored by an USAF serviceman stationed at some remote base. He had nothing to do and had access to enough tools to rebuild an F-18. It was jaw dropping beautiful. Sadly it was so above the quality of the original it would lose points at a concourse meet. The originals didn't have billet fuel line clips.

What's a basket case worth?

At most, about the price of two or three of the most sale-able parts.

Watch the shows Restoration Garage or Fantom Works, Yes they are car restoration shows, but just watch how many times a "client" brings in a car "in good shape with ALL the parts there". then watch how frustrated the shop gets with the vehicle condition and the issues they have sourcing "missing, damaged, or unusable parts"...lol

It also depends on how ethical the seller is. I'm about to off load my project ns400r and I have no problem of telling the seller what it needs, parts still needed, and where to find them.

Hmmmm... up for grabs or sold?
Asking for a friend :)

What's the deal with the brown leather pants draped over the frame "bike was running before I took it apart to paint"
... wonder if he had a fuel pump fire :I know a guy who had that happen on the same model bike.

lunch? it's only mid morning breaktime....

i start work at 6:30.....so lunch is a bit earlier as I typically skip breakfast lol...

anyway work blocks GTAM and I hate typing on my phone here.

Yeah, this is not really "apart". It could probably be a runner in an hour. But it's also not worth the asking price even if it were painted, together, and running. Wonder if someone found out what a proper paint job costs.

Yeah, this is not really "apart". It could probably be a runner in an hour. But it's also not worth the asking price even if it were painted, together, and running. Wonder if someone found out what a proper paint job costs.

really? They're listing for over 4500$ online. Had a chance at a nice one but hesitate and lost out on one a few weeks ago.

really? They're listing for over 4500$ online. Had a chance at a nice one but hesitate and lost out on one a few weeks ago.
You should be able to pick up a 2005 to 2008 shadow for $3000
I paid $2300 for my 98, 8 years ago.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom