Gas can illegal to carry in saddle bags? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas can illegal to carry in saddle bags?

plastic jerry cans all leak
they are permeable
and are not designed to be a pressure vessel

don't feel like looking it up
but there are test criteria for permeability and pressure leak down
but if you want to believe otherwise
fill your boots, I ain't arguing with you

Wants to carry gasoline in a saddle bag
has no fear of fire, what could possibly go wrong.

... sorry but I just can't help but see the sic humour in that :rolleyes:

Wants to carry gasoline in a saddle bag
has no fear of fire, what could possibly go wrong.

... sorry but I just can't help but see the sic humour in that :rolleyes:

Good one!

Sent from the moon!

Of course, the ultimate solution is to have one of these follow you around...

truckdef.jpg

If filled with diesel and hooked up to the engine, what do you think the range would be on that sucker?

@Trials: That numberplate tank is a good example of thinking outside the box (tank?). Very neat.

Running out of gas is a rite of passage for any rider, preferably in the middle of nowhere. Embrace it, OP.

If filled with diesel and hooked up to the engine, what do you think the range would be on that sucker?

@Trials: That numberplate tank is a good example of thinking outside the box (tank?). Very neat.

Running out of gas is a rite of passage for any rider, preferably in the middle of nowhere. Embrace it, OP.

Running out of gas ONCE is a rite of passage, the second time you're just an idiot.

Of course, the ultimate solution is to have one of these follow you around...

Nahh rather have one of those fighter jet refueling planes.
(I would have posted the photo but forum fail, to much glitches on this site)

Last edited:
It's 500KG actually before anything needs hazmat placarding.

And there's further "consumer commodity" exemptions that can even increase that in certain situations.
Yeah 500kg is placarding but there is a personal exemption limit of 150 kg. Which is different from the LQ/ consumer commodity exemption.

We stopped placarding years ago as we will now only ship Limited Quantity or stay below the 500kg limit.

@sburns I think the easiest solution would simply be the one that PP suggested and jerry can strapped to the back.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

Running out of gas ONCE is a rite of passage, the second time you're just an idiot.

I should hope that would be obvious to the OP. Otherwise, he stands to enjoy rites of passages.

I bought one of those gas cans that have 2 gal of gas on one end and a 2L oil chamber on the other end. The ones we use for chain saws. Sawed off the small end and i have a small 2L tank that fits in my soft bag. Or on my dirt bike...it will get u out of a bind if needed. 3 yrs now and no hint of leaks. Fits in with the spout pointing up

Nahh rather have one of those fighter jet refueling planes.
(I would have posted the photo but forum fail, to much glitches on this site)

You attempted to image link from a private Dropbox account. That can’t/won’t work. ;)

You attempted to image link from a private Dropbox account. That can’t/won’t work. ;)

I have done it before on this site, sharing the link from the public drop box folder. You have to change the flag to 1 in the link otherwise it doens't display. But the glitch I am speaking of is from the message editor here when creating messages. It's buggy and puts in random returns and mess's up the formatting once that happens the link getting f'd and doesn't work.

It's buggy and puts in random returns and mess's up the formatting once that happens the link getting f'd and doesn't work.

Ah yes, the WYSIWYG editor is indeed messed up. I switched to the basic editor a long time ago to fix those issues.

And hotlinking images from dropbox must be a new thing, pretty sure that wasn't possible last I used dropbox, which was admittedly many years back.

Wolfman Bottle Holster strapped to the backrest of my CB550K0. Holds an Optimus/Primus/MSR 1 litre fuel bottle. Will most likely buy a second one for the other side which would give me up to 2 litres of emergency fuel. I like the size and versatility to mount it on different parts of this and other bikes, with or without racks and saddlebags.

The setup below allows me to still make use of the rear luggage rack.

fb3697b8792914e2e87f8cf72e3ace25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would seem to make sense, but I would think that a TDG sticker on the outside with 1203 (iirc) would allow you to do it.

No. I got my Dangerous Good Transportation ticket/permit. Any civilian is allowed to carry up to 250 litres of fuel without a 1203 or 1202 (diesel) placard/sticker. So you can carry 250 litres inside jerry cans without worries. Personally I wouldn't carry jerry cans of gasoline in saddle bags unless I want to do a special mission in Beirut or Baghdad with the wish to die.

No. I got my Dangerous Good Transportation ticket/permit. Any civilian is allowed to carry up to 250 litres of fuel without a 1203 or 1202 (diesel) placard/sticker. So you can carry 250 litres inside jerry cans without worries. Personally I wouldn't carry jerry cans of gasoline in saddle bags unless I want to do a special mission in Beirut or Baghdad with the wish to die.

Pegassus wouldn't do this sburns. That's saying something.

You are correct.
You would think that I would know better since I train employees in TDG.
But tbh, I usually skim over the 150kg exemption because it's pretty much non applicable to us.

@Robbo's set up is quite sleek.

Sorry, I meant to say that any civilian WITHOUT a TDG ticket is allowed to carry 250 L or less of fuel in jerry cans, and they wouldn't need a 1202 or 1203 sticker/placard. I think that's a little too much but oh well........

Back
Top Bottom