Gas can illegal to carry in saddle bags? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Gas can illegal to carry in saddle bags?

sburns

I was at one of the local HD shops to pick up the wedge gas containers and found out they didn't have them. I was told it was illegal to store it in the saddle bag.

Can someone clarify?

I was at one of the local HD shops to pick up the wedge gas containers and found out they didn't have them. I was told it was illegal to store it in the saddle bag.

Can someone clarify?
It would seem to make sense, but I would think that a TDG sticker on the outside with 1203 (iirc) would allow you to do it.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

I don't know the legality, but I don't like carrying fuel inside an enclosed space. The actual fuel container has no ignition sources inside (and should be above the UEL anyway). When you put that container in another container, you have the opportunity for fuel vapors (at a flammable concentration) to be exposed to an ignition source. Personally, I would much rather strap a fuel container to the outside of the bike (like against the backrest).

I don’t necessarily think it’s illegal any more than it is to carry a gas can in the back of your vehicle vs strapped to its roof

But I would concur that it has risks.

I borrowed one of those wedge style cans from a friend for a long trip - discovered it only held 3L it something like that, maybe 75KM best case. Opted for a 10L one on my cargo rack instead for long trips.

I don't know the legality, but I don't like carrying fuel inside an enclosed space. The actual fuel container has no ignition sources inside (and should be above the UEL anyway). When you put that container in another container, you have the opportunity for fuel vapors (at a flammable concentration) to be exposed to an ignition source. Personally, I would much rather strap a fuel container to the outside of the bike (like against the backrest).

I have seen it strapped in the exterior a few times in long distance trips. Am even do it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make some interesting points. Will consider.

@PrivatePilot & @Shwarider

I am planning a long ride. I don't really foresee any issues with fueling. But I guess this is the reason to have some extra assurance. I believe for the size it's just about right for what I need. I kinda want to avoid strapping stuff on the off the bike. I have enough storage (2 saddles + king tour pak). But will have to consider the risks of it all.

Nothing is ever easy anymore.

Sent you a PM about wedco...

The regulations that apply are Transportation of Dangerous Goods - there’s an exemption for personal use, 150kg IIRC.

A gas can gives some comfort. One or two 1L aluminum bottle(s) are used by some ADVers.

I have a Zumo 660 and the find-gas-station feature came in real handy...

Sent you a PM about wedco...

The regulations that apply are Transportation of Dangerous Goods - there’s an exemption for personal use, 150kg IIRC.

A gas can gives some comfort. One or two 1L aluminum bottle(s) are used by some ADVers.

I have a Zumo 660 and the find-gas-station feature came in real handy...

Thanks for the info.
Yes agreed very helpful feature, I have this on my Navi as well. Very helpful when I am out exploring with no direction.

@PrivatePilot & @Shwarider

I am planning a long ride. I don't really foresee any issues with fueling. But I guess this is the reason to have some extra assurance.

vtxarctic.jpg

My solution during long rides in questionable areas, jerry can on cargo rack.. Rest of our gear (luggage and camping stuff) was left at our base camp that day as we were riding a long distance, but ending up back at point A again at the end of the day. Long story.

Yes @FLSTC is correct. Totally forgot about the 150kg personal exemption. My bad.

Sent from my purple G4 using Tapatalk

It's 500KG actually before anything needs hazmat placarding.

And there's further "consumer commodity" exemptions that can even increase that in certain situations.

I think the ghost nailed it, storing flammable liquid within a non vented enclosure is a nono.

Get creative; for trials bikes some smart guy thought to make an extra tank out of the number plate.
Tank1L.lt(t).jpg

The danger as I understand it is leakage. If a small amount of fuel evaporates within the enclosed air space you now have a highly volatile side bin sitting immediately above your hot exhaust, and that fuel container is not certified for anything.

... remember liquid gasoline is relatively safe, you can throw matches in it, it's after you combine it with air that you get explosions.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. Even if the can did leak, the interior of my hard saddlebags would never reach ignition temperature.

I think it's sparks that you need to worry about more then heat, but fair enough, not likely to be any sparks in there either.

but with thermal expansion it's very likely there will be vapours in there

ever bring a jerry can home from the gas station in your car?

don't take long to get stinky even when they appear to be sealed tight

but with thermal expansion it's very likely there will be vapours in there

ever bring a jerry can home from the gas station in your car?

don't take long to get stinky even when they appear to be sealed tight

Then it’s leaking.

It should be completely air tight, but the little rubber seals/o-rings get old and cracked, twisted, or sometimes don’t seat properly.

Back
Top Bottom