Sudden extreme Eye burn/stinging when riding- Dry Eyes...? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sudden extreme Eye burn/stinging when riding- Dry Eyes...?

This has happened to me about 3 or 4 times. First incident was on the 115 north of Boundary Road and eyes started to buzz a bit, felt dry and uncomfortable. Then sudden onset of acute painful stinging, me blinking rapidly to try and resolve and 15 - 20 seconds later I'm virtually blind and barely made it to a safe stop on a very rough shoulder where I almost dumped it. Took 10 minutes to resolve fully until I felt able to continue. I was about 90 minutes into my ride, it was hot and very humid and I had my visor cracked open to increase airflow in the helmet. I suppose my eyes were very dry because of this.

I now keep a small towel in a saddle bag and if I feel this coming on I stop, remove helmet, soak the towel with water and sponge eyes for a for minutes. So far I've been fortunate that this has occurred in areas where I've been able to get off the road and stop relatively safely.

so share your experiences. was yours successful?

Mine was very successful. Ask my 8 children. Great advice from "JavaFan" Thanks, was not expensive. All I need was a hammer and lots of tissues for my streaming eyes.
Perhaps will try the sash window next time.

Beats the heck out of being sprayed by a large paper cup full of pee chucked out of a transport truck window.

Did this happen to you, and was your mouth open at the time :p

I had exactly the same symptoms you described. It would occur near the end of a long day of riding in warm/hot weather. I too thought it was the sun screen I was using either running into my eyes or the fumes as it evaporated off my skin. Stopped using sun screen but problem continued. Cool compress, eye wash with water, and eye drops (visine) seemed to help but all took time to recover. The symptoms always came on quickly and a little disconcerting when on the 400 series hwy. I also noticed I was making some simple mistakes: stops were a little ragged, foot placement was wrong. About that time read an article by an Iron Butt rider writing about the dangers of dehydration. Since then when I make sure I stay hydrated and add some natural tears during afternoon stops, I have not had a reoccurrence.

Did this happen to you, and was your mouth open at the time :p
Seen it coming, ducked behind the fairing, power washed the bike, clothing and full face helmet asap. I been riding for a long time and it has happened more then once, one guy got me real good and everything stunk.

There should be a law against taking a piss while driving a transport but apparently some of them even have a p hole in the floor of the truck for just such an occasion. Think about that next time you are following a truck and you suddenly need the windshield wipers or visor cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom