Going back to Zumo 660. From Zumo 395. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Going back to Zumo 660. From Zumo 395.

cycling

Site Supporter
As the above titles states. Way better screen.( Zumo 660) Easier to read. Maybe it was my impression to go to the 395. Thought that it would lead me to the twisty roads. Nope it only tells me what is in front of me. Better picture on the 660.
Anybody else disappointed on the Zumo 395?
Great day to make the change. It is coming down cats and dogs, raining.

As the above titles states. Way better screen.( Zumo 660) Easier to read. Maybe it was my impression to go to the 395. Thought that it would lead me to the twisty roads. Nope it only tells me what is in front of me. Better picture on the 660.
Anybody else disappointed on the Zumo 395?
Great day to make the change. It is coming down cats and dogs, raining.

Can't speak for the 395, but I'm liking the 595 I have been using this season. A few things that frustrate me compared to my previous gps, the prehistoric StreetPilot 2720, but no deal breakers so far.

I also like the 660, don't see all that much progression with the 395 but was debating an upgrade down the road if I find a crazy sale or a used one on Kijiji as my unit is getting old.
May convert to a cellphone + app when the 660 breaks down.

On paper the screen is exactly the same, can you give us more detail OP?

I'm still using a 550, after replacing the digitizer on it.

I went from a 660 to a 395 and was disappointed overall.

Features I liked: the processor is way more powerful than the 660. Screen refreshes and route calculations were noticeably faster. Also it's easier to access the SD card and plugging in a USB cable is also faster than having to pop the back hatch on the 660.

But it's the little things that make it annoying.

The OS is non-intuitive, button presses are not standardized. The three-bar option icon in the upper-left throws a monkey wrench into everything. Features and options are hidden in so many different places (three-bar icon, screen icon, scroll-down lists) and it's just messy. The 660 OS is a lot more straightforward.

Also the 395 is the budget baby of the new series. Features that were standard on the 660 is now missing or substandard. Case in point: the mp3 player on the 395 SUCKS! It's AM radio quality playback, and it's not even the Bluetooth that's causing the issues because playback through the headphone jack gives you the same crappy quality.

I've heard the 595 fixes a lot of these niggles, but the pricing though...

I have a 595. I can only compare it to the 660 I used when I rented a Motorcycle in Japan.

The 595 is nice.

I also like the 660, don't see all that much progression with the 395 but was debating an upgrade down the road if I find a crazy sale or a used one on Kijiji as my unit is getting old.
May convert to a cellphone + app when the 660 breaks down.

On paper the screen is exactly the same, can you give us more detail OP?

I think "Lightcycle" summed of it up very nicely. Thanks.

The screen to me is pretty useless. When trying to read directions it is much smaller. Not from poor eyesight but try and glance at it. I would not recommend it. Waste of money. Garmin seeming to be going backwards on Zumos. I used to ride with the 700 series as they had the Mp3 feature.
Yes, they where not waterproof. Put a zip lock over it. Now Garmin make the Zumo 396. To me it is useless as the music is now Bluetooth. I prefer hard wired. I run the MP3/Gps with an amp then into my noise cancelling headphones. Better quality. I can still hear EMS vehicles. If the 660 conks out I will spend the money and have it repaired. Company in Montreal does a pretty quick turn around.

Hope this helps.

https://www.raytech.ca/en/home/

I have the 396. I like it but then again I had a Montana before (I still use that for off-road/backroad stuff). I don’t like wires so it suits me. Not played mp3s off the unit but routing my phone through it is fine. I can load Spotify offline so I know that will work fine. Twisty roads worked well for me the one time I used it so far. The screen is so-so. It works well but I get people’s gripes. I’m guessing 90% of users power the device from their bike so there’s not that much need for energy saving screen tech. It’s perfectly viewable though. I like the live features of the 396, I’ve yet to really test the traffic feature though. Wireless map upgrades are great.

Can't speak for the 395, but I'm liking the 595 I have been using this season. A few things that frustrate me compared to my previous gps, the prehistoric StreetPilot 2720, but no deal breakers so far.

Congrats for keeping a 2720 going for this long. I gave up on my SPiii long ago as it took too damned long to calculate (if you tried to route to a location 10+ hours away, it would take up to 45 minutes to calculate) and trying to keep a reasonably current set of maps in it was painful. I still miss real physical buttons.

I’ve yet to really test the traffic feature though.

Worked great coming back from Deals Gap a couple weeks ago. Routed me around a tractor trailer accident that had closed down I75, saved me a healthy amount of time being parked on the highway.. Haven't had similar luck in Canada though.

Congrats for keeping a 2720 going for this long. I gave up on my SPiii long ago as it took too damned long to calculate (if you tried to route to a location 10+ hours away, it would take up to 45 minutes to calculate) and trying to keep a reasonably current set of maps in it was painful. I still miss real physical buttons.

The Streetpilot series are a beast. Routing times are a bit long, but not crazy. Say about 45 seconds to Deals Gap. Software is super intuitive and easy to use, something that Garmin has forgotten how to do since.

Maps are a pain, but not impossible once you get used to it. The 2720 holds about half the US at a time. Forgot about that going to Colorado. Lost detailed maps crossing the Colorado border. 30 minute pitstop at Starbucks had me back up and running.

What finally prompted me to upgrade was all the new bluetooth gadgets. The 595 (mine is actually a 590 with 595 software) has Spotify, browse my music library (crappy interface, but usable), notifications for texts, emails, etc., TPMS option, easier POI search, some other stuff I'm forgetting

I have at east two 2720's with Ram cradles, and harnesses if anyone is interested.

Worked great coming back from Deals Gap a couple weeks ago. Routed me around a tractor trailer accident that had closed down I75, saved me a healthy amount of time being parked on the highway.. Haven't had similar luck in Canada.

Is that with the Garmin phone app or were you using a traffic antenna?

Is that with the Garmin phone app or were you using a traffic antenna?

That's with the Garmin app without the in-app subscription

Used on a trip to US129 . Had a few glitches with the settings with my 395 . But I`m happy with it overall .

Back
Top Bottom