Question about NEW bike licensing fee from dealer? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about NEW bike licensing fee from dealer?

Sunster

Hey Everyone,

Looking to buy a new bike and when getting quotes, they charge a license fee varying from $60 to $120 so far. I'm pretty sure this means, plates, sticker and registration so is it better to just let them do it or trailer the bike upon pickup and do it yourself at a MTO location? What is the cost when you do it by yourself?

Thanks guys, first bike so a little confused about this one.

the dealer fee is for one of their staff to arrange all the paperwork
go to Service Ontario, get a plate and sticker and return to have it put on the bike
the cost of the registration and plate are not included in that
the actual cost for the reg will vary depending on when your birthday is

up to you if you want to do it yourself
$120 seems excessive for this service, some profit taking in that
personally I'm fine with 50 or 60 bucks to have someone do that for me

Just ask the dealer. A new sticker and plates for a motorcycle is like $60....so some are charging you nothing. Some are charging you more. Just ask. And as far as I know you CANNOT pick up the plates yourself. To take possession you have to have it plated or you'll have to provide a safety. So your only option is to get the dealer to do it.

you can buy a new bike and have a fit registration in your name, but not yet plated
a few reasons someone may want to do this
most common one is for a wintertime purchase, go back in spring and get plates
other is a track bike that you may want to plate sometime down the road

Negotiate with an on the road price....otherwise you might be asking for all sorts of fees to show up.

...as far as I know you CANNOT pick up the plates yourself...

As far as I know, you can. The dealer is just performing a service for you, which you can perform yourself. The thing is, even if you end up saving $60, is it worth all the extra trips and wasted time?

MTO jacked the plate and ownership fees (I believe both over 30 bucks each nowadays, sticker is still $42) so OP would probably not even save that much.

As far as I know, you can. The dealer is just performing a service for you, which you can perform yourself. The thing is, even if you end up saving $60, is it worth all the extra trips and wasted time?

MTO jacked the plate and ownership fees (I believe both over 30 bucks each nowadays, sticker is still $42) so OP would probably not even save that much.

Yep, you can do it yourself like you said. But i guess i'll see how much extra they are trying to squeeze out in the name of licensing fees and go from there.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Scrutinize the fees, dealers often like to slip in all sorts of mystery fees that they hope people don't question. When I bought my current car the dealer tried to ding me for about $400 in crap I didn't agree to, want, or need. I had all of it but about $50 removed when I politely kicked up a fuss.

That said, $120 for licensing isn't crazy. That covers their overhead actually sending someone to service ontario, and of course the cost of your new plate and the 1 year sticker that goes on it.

Scrutinize the fees, dealers often like to slip in all sorts of mystery fees that they hope people don't question. When I bought my current car the dealer tried to ding me for about $400 in crap I didn't agree to, want, or need. I had all of it but about $50 removed when I politely kicked up a fuss.

That said, $120 for licensing isn't crazy. That covers their overhead actually sending someone to service ontario, and of course the cost of your new plate and the 1 year sticker that goes on it.

Do your homework on the price and sort out a realistic on the road price and the dealer can play with fees until he’s blue in the face. If the on the road price was agreed upon that’s what I pay. Did this with the last three vehicles I bought and threatened to walk away from one when various “fees” started showing up. Granted, this is a lot harder to do with a bike as there isn’t a reliable record of invoice price and dealer mark up etc, but there is the next best thing. Bike forums. Check in with what others have paid for the same model etc and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom