Got 2k in my pocket.. what now? Or should I wait.. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Got 2k in my pocket.. what now? Or should I wait..

MSFT

Got into an accident last month.. bike got written off and I got a decent settlement from insurance.

Post on it here: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...advice-following-crash-dealing-with-insurance

I got some great advice and insight from people on this site and it really helped.

So I guess where I am at now is... Do I use the settlement money + a little bit of my own to get something for around 2k... If so whats good in and around Toronto for 2k.. There are a few on Kijiji that peak my interest.. but a lot have 50k+ km on them..

Examples.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...rm/1369773472?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1361590543&requestSource=b

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1359599211&requestSource=b

I miss riding big time and am healthy enough again to really have no issues doing it... Or my other train of thought is..

Do I wait until End of September.. Early October when I can save some more cash and have closer to 3.5k-4k to spend on a bike..

Mind you I am looking for something within the 500-750cc engine displacement... I think this will give me the best insurance rate for my level of riding..

A few examples...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1368137798&requestSource=b

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1368228967&requestSource=b

I dunno how every feels about the examples.. I'm still a noobie to this so I just want something that reliable and fun to ride.. for my commute to work and the occasional ride outside of the city.

Please don't troll me.. Any advice would be super valuable to me.
Thank guys.

out of those examples I like the 650F
looks in good shape, low km and a versatile bike

the rest are old and will still be classed SS for insurance

you had the CB400 I think?
that 650 will feel like a rocket ship in comparison
dead nuts reliability, comfortable ergos, affordable insurance

edit: couple of other suggestions that would be a good step up from an older CB400
FZ6, Ninja 650R....both sporty but comfortable, cheap to insure bikes
pricing on kijiji is nuts this year....decent 10 year example they are looking for 5K
that GSX650F is looking like a good deal

Last edited:
-There weren't very many good deals during the most recent off-season... there were a handful I wanted a crack at but every single one got snatched up before I got to them
-There's still all of August and September that you could be riding... and later if you are a fall rider

On the other hand
-Those first bikes you listed aren't bad, but they are a bit old. You could do a lot better with a bit more $. I dunno, my view is probably a bit skewed since I've seen a shitzillion F4s, ZX-6s, GSXR600s of that era. I have learned that actually liking the bike you ride does factor into your enjoyment of riding

Check insurance costs with your broker before you purchase anything.

out of those examples I like the 650F
looks in good shape, low km and a versatile bike

the rest are old and will still be classed SS for insurance

you had the CB400 I think?
that 650 will feel like a rocket ship in comparison
dead nuts reliability, comfortable ergos, affordable insurance

Yep that was me with the CB400.. That's the one I was leaning towards too tbh.
It looks clean, the dude that rode it looks kinda boring(no offense to him if he's on here) but that means he probably took good care of it.. and obviously didn't ride it all the time.
I think since I do still have my M2 I will look for ones that are not classified as an SS because honestly I don't want to be paying $350 a month in insurance.. i can do like $120-140 but anything more would just be to much for me right now.

-There weren't very many good deals during the most recent off-season... there were a handful I wanted a crack at but every single one got snatched up before I got to them
-There's still all of August and September that you could be riding... and later if you are a fall rider

On the other hand
-Those first bikes you listed aren't bad, but they are a bit old. You could do a lot better with a bit more $. I dunno, my view is probably a bit skewed since I've seen a shitzillion F4s, ZX-6s, GSXR600s of that era. I have learned that actually liking the bike you ride does factor into your enjoyment of riding

I absolutely loved riding in the fall last year and did intend to this year.. that's why I may wait until September-October.. get something newer, less km and ride it for a month before storing it.. But I will be ready for next season.

If anyone does see something that might follow my criteria by all means post the link.. I can go outside of the city but would like to be as close in as possible.
Thanks guys!

It looks clean, the dude that rode it looks kinda boring(no offense to him if he's on here) but that means he probably took good care of it

clean bike, 55 year old owner, looks to live in a million dollar + house in Caledon
when it comes to previous bike owners, boring is good :)
I'd be all over that

clean bike, 55 year old owner, looks to live in a million dollar + house in Caledon
when it comes to previous bike owners, boring is good :)
I'd be all over that

I absolutely agree with you.. but for the price it would have to wait for a few months to get the money together.. by then it will probably be gone... OR much cheaper so.. its a gamble I guess
But that's the type I would probably look to get

You really like your high performance sport bikes don't you.
Sadly your minimal insurance rates on, I should think any of those models, they will quickly out step the cost of the hardware & I almost bet that's why some of those bikes are for sale.

Is it fair to say most of your riding is urban and you are pretty much always riding in traffic?
do you have a passion only for the omg this thing is fast type motorcycles? "my level of riding" is 'spirited' or casual ?
... personally I wouldn't want to continually ride a full fairing sportbike in traffic :| and for solo riding it would probably be under 500cc
very possibly a KTM390 to be exact.

My normal advise to a new rider is to look at the front brakes, if the thing has massive twin brembos :/ it's probably way too much motorcycle for a new rider Or for sitting in traffic. ymmv.

You really like your high performance sport bikes don't you.
Sadly your minimal insurance rates on, I should think any of those models, they will quickly out step the cost of the hardware & I almost bet that's why some of those bikes are for sale.

Is it fair to say most of your riding is urban and you are pretty much always riding in traffic?
do you have a passion only for the omg this thing is fast type motorcycles? "my level of riding" is 'spirited' or casual ?
... personally I wouldn't want to continually ride a full fairing sportbike in traffic :| and for solo riding it would probably be under 500cc
very possibly a KTM390 to be exact.

My normal advise to a new rider is to look at the front brakes, if the thing has massive twin brembos :/ it's probably way too much motorcycle for a new rider Or for sitting in traffic. ymmv.

My previous bike was a 400 and it was great in the city. It got me around to where I needed to go.. yes mostly in traffic but there are some spots on my route where I can open up the throttle a bit.
The big issue was I have family in Hamilton as well as people I visit in Windsor. The Windsor ride has been the most problematic. I want something with more power so it won't be so much.

I want something with more power so it won't be so much.

Something didn't quite make it here.

I wouldn't worry about wearing out a modern 4 stroke street bike if that is where you were headed. Yes you have to rev the smaller bikes more, but anything over 250 cc won't cause you any highway problems (hell a modern 250 will have more power than your old 400).

I think you're crazy to be looking at 20yr old SS bikes when you could have that GSX650F for a not much more money. SS bikes tend to (not always, but often enough) have had several owners in their lifetime, many of them with cojones bigger than their brains, and often the bikes have been ridden hard and put away wet. That GSX650F tends to attract a more mature rider, someone who enjoys performance but isn't nuts on the streets. They are often owned by riders who take very good care of their bikes. Those Suzuki 4's are bulletproof too and I should know, I had the Bandit 600 for 8yrs. The best part is that the GSX650F will be classed as a standard bike in the eyes of most insurance companies. You'll probably save the difference in purchase price between the GSXF and the SS bikes your looking at in your first year of insurance by buying the GSXF vs an SS bike.

Ah yes :I Toronto to Windsor, whole different story,
plus a Toronto commute!

Shop for a nice BMW K75, you might get lucky.

Something didn't quite make it here.

I wouldn't worry about wearing out a modern 4 stroke street bike if that is where you were headed. Yes you have to rev the smaller bikes more, but anything over 250 cc won't cause you any highway problems (hell a modern 250 will have more power than your old 400).

Even a modern 250 would barely make it up to highway speeds... I meant it would be less problematic with a bike with higher cc's.. less throttling, lower revs, overheating.. 650s are the way to go for those.

I think you're crazy to be looking at 20yr old SS bikes when you could have that GSX650F for a not much more money. SS bikes tend to (not always, but often enough) have had several owners in their lifetime, many of them with cojones bigger than their brains, and often the bikes have been ridden hard and put away wet. That GSX650F tends to attract a more mature rider, someone who enjoys performance but isn't nuts on the streets. They are often owned by riders who take very good care of their bikes. Those Suzuki 4's are bulletproof too and I should know, I had the Bandit 600 for 8yrs. The best part is that the GSX650F will be classed as a standard bike in the eyes of most insurance companies. You'll probably save the difference in purchase price between the GSXF and the SS bikes your looking at in your first year of insurance by buying the GSXF vs an SS bike.

I'm not nuts on the street.. sure I like to push it a little but nothing crazy.. the fastest I've gone is 165km/hr..on that 400.. but that was like full tuck going down a bit of a slope.. theres LOTS of long stretches of nothing going from Toronto to Windsor.

Eww..sorry that looks horrible aesthetically too.. not my taste.

Ah yes :I Toronto to Windsor, whole different story,
plus a Toronto commute!

Shop for a nice BMW K75, you might get lucky.

Ye the ride is A LOT of long stretches.. but it can be enjoyable.. Toronto route from my home to work is pretty solid with some traffic depending on the day.. spend a little time on the highway at highway speeds which is nice.
I just love riding.. whether in a straight line or whatever.. this ish is the best decision I've made in my life..next to my divorce..LMAO :D

kijiji see's a K75 in Ottawa for 1900$, K100 in Windsor for 2grand and that 2500$ K75 looks pretty nice.

kijiji see's a K75 in Ottawa for 1900$, K100 in Windsor for 2grand and that 2500$ K75 looks pretty nice.

You mean this one? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...er/1368879007?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Its nice for sure.. Its the 100k+ mileage on it that would scare me unless it was kept in the most pristine condition.. the last bike I got was a '78 and little things kept creeping up that needed to be taken care of. I think I'm aiming for something in the 2000s

I will get raped on insurance for anything over 750cc.. even 750 is pushing it for me..

Even a modern 250 would barely make it up to highway speeds... I meant it would be less problematic with a bike with higher cc's.. less throttling, lower revs, overheating.. 650s are the way to go for those.

I'm out. You obviously know best.

Back
Top Bottom